Heroes for Hire - Weekly Power Up Pack

KGB
KGB Posts: 3,189 Chairperson of the Boards
edited March 2020 in MPQ General Discussion
Surprised no one has started a thread on this yet. Or maybe because it just appeared in the game with no formal announcement most players have 'missed it' when they clicked past it.

It's a weekly offer of 3 4* covers, 3 3* covers, 25K ISO, 4 Mighty tokens and 4 Elite tokens for 4K hero points with the 3/4* covers being the weekly featured character.

Given the HfH offer is 1 4* cover, 10K ISO, 3 CP and 8 Elite tokens for 3K hero points it appears that this new offer is a much better deal especially for transitioning players looking for a nice boost in covers for an important 4*.

I don't need Antman covers and he's not a meta so champ levels aren't important on him but I will buy this on occasion when it is a 4* I don't have covered (if they ever offer on a newly released 4*. LOL) or a meta 4* I want champ levels for.

Any other thoughts/comments besides the obvious one being that it's another hero point draining offer designed to get player to spend on hero points after hero points have become more scarce due to CL10 + Shard champ reward replacements?

KGB

Comments

• ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    I don't know; I'd say as deals the game offers goes, this is one of the better ones. I think everyone wants to be pretty choosy about where they actually drop their HP these days, so the idea that an offer like this I want coincides with a time when I have the hp seems like it would be cool. I'd probably do it if a feeder i was chasing was on offer. 3 covers via shards can take a lot of time on the clock, so to get it all at once is nice.
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,729 Chairperson of the Boards
    If you read the in game announcement, you might have seen that they are offering two characters from the weekly boost list. So that might make it better sometimes for some people. 
  • crackninja
    crackninja Posts: 444 Mover and Shaker
    I don't know; I'd say as deals the game offers goes, this is one of the better ones. I think everyone wants to be pretty choosy about where they actually drop their HP these days, so the idea that an offer like this I want coincides with a time when I have the hp seems like it would be cool. I'd probably do it if a feeder i was chasing was on offer. 3 covers via shards can take a lot of time on the clock, so to get it all at once is nice.
    Picturing them in their planning meeting...
    "If we start with a feeder that will boost out sales!"
    "Perfect, let's choose Ant-Man, he feeds Wasp!  Who wouldnt want shards for her?!?!"...
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    I don’t know if I can get 3K more hp in the next week, but this Miles Morales bundle will let me finish up Fi5k. I’m going to attempt it to see if I can.
  • bluewolf
    I find it highly amusing that the first two of these bundles are the feeders for Wasp and Kingpin.

Next week Cho?  Or Jubilee?  Place yer bets now!
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    No one should ever buy the standard h4h offer at 3600hp anymore.  If they are going to sell 3x as many 4* covers for just 400 more HP, then we should not throw them a bone by buying the worse deal.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    I’m about halfway there, 4d 10hrs remaining...
  • StevO-J
    StevO-J Posts: 751 Critical Contributor
    I have not been impressed by these offers before, but this week with 4*Carol and 3* Strange... this is an excellent offer in my opinion. Then again, I have quite a bit of HP saved up at the moment, but still... almost an instant buy for me. Thanks devs/RNG! (whoever is responsible) 
  • Vhailorx
    edited March 2020
    This (4* Carol + 3* strange) is an excellent deal for anyone in their 4* or even 3* lifecycle.  2 excellent characters and a few tokens all for 4k hp.  (Even in the old days when you could direct buy covers with HP, it would have cost 7500hp to buy 3x 4* covers.)
  • rawfsu
    rawfsu Posts: 291 Mover and Shaker
    I'm very surprised by this new offer and I know it's just a matter of time before I buy in. Like mentioned before, you get so much more as compared to HfH offer. It seems D3 is really being generous with their offerings. 
  • Friarbundy
    Friarbundy Posts: 118 Tile Toppler
    There are what now, 96 4*’s?  There are three I would purchase this for.  Not a fan of those odds.
  • bluewolf
    And just like that, it's done already?  No Weekly Power-Up bundle this week, but there are lots of others in the game.

Maybe they decided this was too generous to keep doing.  Or maybe they decided to skip a week since they were doing the Bagman Bundle, and the Call for Backup (what's up with that anyway?).

Too bad, I was hoping to snag some War Machines for 4K since I need 9 1/2 more to finish 5IM.
  • loslupus
    loslupus Posts: 6 Just Dropped In

So it really lasted all of 3 weeks... I guess they deemed it to be too much value for players. But it sure seems to be easy to come up with bundles, which are purchased with real money.

• jp1
    jp1 Posts: 1,081 Chairperson of the Boards

@loslupus said:
    So it really lasted all of 3 weeks... I guess they deemed it to be too much value for players. But it sure seems to be easy to come up with bundles, which are purchased with real money.

Those bundles help keep the game in business. Of course they are a priority.

• jredd
    jredd Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards

i was waiting for the next one.

• Vhailorx

I see two likely reasons for this sale disappearing:

(1) the purpose was to bleed some HP from the playerbase and that goal has been accomplished

(2) demi/d3 thought that too many people bought the deal and it was not good value for them.

In the latter case, we can expect to see it come back at a steeper price in future.

• Tony_Foot
    Tony_Foot Posts: 1,790 Chairperson of the Boards

Or (3) it's been missed due to real world events and not everything in this game is a conspiracy if it doesn't happen within 1 second of a spreadsheet recording every previous trend.

(4) they were gathering data and now assessing the results.

Does everything have to be for a negative reason on planet MPQ?

• Vhailorx
    edited April 2020

@Tony_Foot said:
    Or (3) it's been missed due to real world events and not everything in this game is a conspiracy if it doesn't happen within 1 second of a spreadsheet recording every previous trend.

(4) they were gathering data and now assessing the results.

Does everything have to be for a negative reason on planet MPQ?

It's not a conspiracy to think that a commercial development studio/publisher care about money and the economy of their freemium game. nor does it make them sinister.

your (4) is just a variation of my (2). And (3) doesn't seem likely. Demi has been under a shelter in place order since mid march and we have had multiple updates, including new h4h bundles in that time. They have the tools to make that change remotely.

• bluewolf
    edited April 2020

In terms of bundles, it's worth remembering that they're not "free" to make. Every single one involves (I assume) several hands: Some people agree on the cost and rewards, some art assets are put together, someone has to code the interaction (maybe it's dirt simple, but it's something), someone else tests it to make sure it's not going to give you 10 LTs instead of 1, etc. So the devs have to work on that and they're pushing out 2+ special ones a week, along with the standard old Friday 4 Star bundle and the Heroes for Hire.

I have to assume they are keeping a close eye on all the bundles and if they aren't generating enough interest/activity they change things up/stop offering ones that aren't generating sales. It seems extremely likely they hoped that the Weekly Power Up bundles would lead to some HP buys and that they didn't see the purchase increase they hoped for, so are likely focusing on other bundles or areas of development.

The fact that you could simply save your HP for a desired set of covers (if you are basically HP positive) probably didn't work in this particular bundle's favor.