Animist's Awakening gave mana to opponent. I added Rishkar's Expertise below [Investigating]

Options
Zaphod
Zaphod Posts: 14 Just Dropped In
I'm playing in the Awakened Inferno and my opponent casts Animist's Awakening with basically no green gems so it will proc on his next turn.  I cast the 2 Animist's Awakenings that I have been holding onto on my turn.

He gets a turn, his prices like normal, then on my turn I am expecting both of mine to proc and give me a bunch of mana, but instead they give the mana to my opponent.  What the...? I say to myself.

I still manage to win, but my next match results in a soft lock when I go to use Fblthp's 1st ability.

I don't know if the two are related, but the one with Animist's Awakening was really annoying.

Thanks!

Comments

• naabaldan
    naabaldan Posts: 458 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I had a similar issue with mana going to the opponent instead of me in the past. they were not able to recreate it.

• thesmallesthuman
    thesmallesthuman Posts: 99 Match Maker
    Options
    I have experienced this issue multiple times now when my opponent forces me to draw on his turn (last time it was with Emergency Powers) and I have Avaricious Dragon out. My dragon destroys gems which creates a cascade and fills my opponent’s hand with mana. 

I also had a teammate report recently that he cast two Fertile Footsteps back to back during his own turn and all of the mana from the cascades went to his opponent. 

Something is definitely wrong here, but it’s also definitely very difficult to pinpoint and reproduce.
  • Magic:PQ Support Team
    Magic:PQ Support Team ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 3,326 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Hi guys,

This issue with Animist's Awakening is under investigation. Also added Avaricious Dragon and Fertile Footsteps.
    Thank you so much for the feedback, it's very importante for us!
  • JamesGam
    JamesGam Posts: 111 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Happened against AI oko, after he used one of his abilities. 

Event was TotPs

Dont recall 100% but was using heavy green conversion spells for that run. Hour of promise, seasons past, rishkars
  • Zaphod
    Zaphod Posts: 14 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Updating with another mana event that benefitted my opponent.  

Game was in the second Training Grounds event just now.  The one where I can use any cards I have.  

I have opened my Battle Log to track what happened to report it here.

On the turn previous to mine where my opponent received mana that I do not believe he was supposed to, my opponent cast both Fabled Passage and Castle Can't read.

On my turn, I gained 8 green mana and 2 Loyalty from Improved Major Radiant Blessing.  Oren Reef the Vastwood was triggered and I drew Sentinal's mark.

I used the ability Emperor's Warcry.

I drew Rishkar's Expertise, Deploy the Gatewatch, and Deathsprout.

Then something weird happened.

It looked like the support controlled by my opponent, Castle Vantress, procced as if it were the beginning of my opponent's turn, but it was still my turn.  Several gems turned blue and my opponent gained 3 blue, 3 red and 5 loyalty.

I cast Rishkar's Expertise and the card worked perfectly except that the 6 blue, 3 black, 31 green and 9 loyalty all went to my opponent instead of me.

The Battle Log just shows that the mana was obtained, it does not say where it went.  My opponent then had full mana on his 3 cards which he had not had before, during my turn.

I then cast my creatures, which thankfully stayed on my side and ended up winning, but having Rishkar's Expertise benefit my opponent during my turn was very bad.

• chaosascends
    chaosascends Posts: 16 Just Dropped In
    Options
    This just happened to me with just conversion to green spells. There's nothing in the battle log that indicates anything. Was on top left node of dragon war event. The ai had a couple of blue conversion supports out and one of the things I noticed was that after converting to green, a few gems would convert to blue, then all of the mana would be given to the ai. There wasn't anything on the board related to landfall or conversion (other the the supports that convert at the beginning of a turn).
  • thesmallesthuman
    thesmallesthuman Posts: 99 Match Maker
    Options
    Here’s a thing I’ve never thought to report before because it was rare and I couldn’t ever figure out what exactly happened, but sounds kinda familiar after the last two posts above me, so perhaps they’re related?...:

Castles (specifically vantress that I’ve noticed, but not ruling out the others) seem to be occasionally triggering their conditional ETB effect on death as well (converting gems to their color). Could this be what’s causing the AI’s confusion? If we’re causing a cascade that destroys Greg’s castle, which creates its own cascade...could be creating enough confusion for the rest of the mana to end up in Greg’s hand?

This is purely conjecture and definitely not the only cause (for example, I know my avaricious dragon didn’t destroy a castle before it sent mana to Greg’s hand on Greg’s turn)...but...it might be another clue? Worth testing or sending out feelers to see if y’all notice any patterns there 🤷🏻‍♀️