New Content? Soon?

Options
Wolfteeth
Wolfteeth Posts: 125 Tile Toppler
Are we ever getting new content?? Things are getting pretty stale and there are barely any events during the week and the 3 day events are absurd.  I keep spending money on this game and I don’t know why

Comments

• Mburn7
    Mburn7 Posts: 3,427 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Wow, Theros has only been out a month and its already stale?  I always remember it taking longer than that.
    Guess its because of how quickly we can complete a set nowadays.  But I digress.

Paper MTG releases new sets roughly every 3 months.  The next set (Ilkora, Lair of Behemoths) comes out April 24th.  I wouldn't expect any significant new content here until May at the earliest.
  • Stormcrow
    Stormcrow Posts: 462 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I still think of Eldraine as pretty new in terms of cards and Theros is definitely new, but in terms of things to do with our new cards, it's true that 4.0 had exactly one new event which has run exactly one time. Not a lot to spice things up. I'm sure we'll see some patches between now and the next set, and besides the sorely-needed bug fixes and the seemingly-inevitable "features nobody asked for" I do hope they've also got some new events planned in between now and whenever the next set drops. Some new PvE could be nice, in particular; Ashiok and Calyx both seem able to put out some crazy excessive damage numbers even in a standard environment, but there's not really anywhere to take advantage of that.
  • Mburn7
    Options
    Stormcrow said:
    I still think of Eldraine as pretty new in terms of cards and Theros is definitely new, but in terms of things to do with our new cards, it's true that 4.0 had exactly one new event which has run exactly one time. Not a lot to spice things up. I'm sure we'll see some patches between now and the next set, and besides the sorely-needed bug fixes and the seemingly-inevitable "features nobody asked for" I do hope they've also got some new events planned in between now and whenever the next set drops. Some new PvE could be nice, in particular; Ashiok and Calyx both seem able to put out some crazy excessive damage numbers even in a standard environment, but there's not really anywhere to take advantage of that.
    The problem is, what events are they going to run?  There aren't exactly a lot of Standard events right now they even can run, and two of them (Elderspark and Great Tournament) are so disliked I don't even think they count.

Since those are 2 of the 4 current standard events that exist right now (RaW and Titanomachy are the only other 2 I can think of) I don't think there will be anything Coalition running any time soon.
    There are Legacy PvE events happening, though, so you can beat up Tezz and co. for the 50th time at least.
  • bk1234
    bk1234 Posts: 2,924 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I have barely gotten to play with my THB cards and not even touched Ashiok. I hardly think the current content is stale. 
  • FindingHeart8
    FindingHeart8 Posts: 2,730 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited March 2020
    Options
    I suspect it might be the overall gameplay that is making you feel like it's stale.  Yeah, there's new cards and all, but it's the same day-after-day repetitive grinding that quickly dulls the excitement.  Some of the newer events seem more frustrating than fun (ex: Challenge of the Courts).
  • jtwood
    jtwood Posts: 1,285 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I, too, would like new events over new cards. Also, a new format of events that aren't necessary nodes and charges or PVE. That would be super cool.
  • Aeroplane
    Aeroplane Posts: 314 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I think this might coincide with the paywall. New events come with free pack rewards and there are very few chances to receive boosters of the new set , especially combined with the push of booster crafting until the next set. As I'm solo now there are no ways , only with monthly rewards, to receive new cards unless you pay or collect yellows. Rising Tensions is a good template to follow for every set. Less chances equals less excitement. 
  • Stormcrow
    Stormcrow Posts: 462 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Mburn7 said:
    The problem is, what events are they going to run?  There aren't exactly a lot of Standard events right now they even can run, and two of them (Elderspark and Great Tournament) are so disliked I don't even think they count.

I don't even--
    Literally half of the post you're quoting is me talking about how Oktagon needs to create some NEW events, yes?
  • Machine
    Machine Posts: 789 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I think it's a combination of @bken1234's and @FindingHeart8's remarks. The content is not stale (I've also had barely time to play with my Theros cards), but the game experience is stale. Also, like @Mburn7 said, events like The Elderspark and The Great Tournament are so terrible, especially in how much time is required in the weekend to play all the nodes, that overall experience tends to be negative. I've asked in another thread to switch The Great Tournament event with any other (non Elderspark ;-)) event, but that didn't happen apparently.
  • Mburn7
    Options
    Stormcrow said:
    Mburn7 said:

I don't even--
    Literally half of the post you're quoting is me talking about how Oktagon needs to create some NEW events, yes?
    I, uh, might have missed something in there.  Most probably the "new" in "some new PvE events would be nice".

My bad bro
  • Wolfteeth
    Wolfteeth Posts: 125 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Mburn7 said:
    Wow, Theros has only been out a month and its already stale?  I always remember it taking longer than that.
    Guess its because of how quickly we can complete a set nowadays.  But I digress.

Paper MTG releases new sets roughly every 3 months.  The next set (Ilkora, Lair of Behemoths) comes out April 24th.  I wouldn't expect any significant new content here until May at the earliest.
    It’s not about having new cards- it’s the same events with the same never changing objectives that we are using the new cards for.  I’m sorry but 3 days of Oath Of the Gate Watch with Terror in the Shadows over and over again is getting old, at least change up the objectives or something.  
  • Mburn7
    Options
    Wolfteeth said:
    Mburn7 said:

It’s not about having new cards- it’s the same events with the same never changing objectives that we are using the new cards for.  I’m sorry but 3 days of Oath Of the Gate Watch with Terror in the Shadows over and over again is getting old, at least change up the objectives or something.  
    Fun Fact:  Terrors used to switch between 2 different colors on each node with each different run (same objectives, though).  The second objective used to be different back then too.

I think the issue is the lack of new events has forced old events to be run more often, ruining their appeal.  Also, there are a lot of old events that are just not run anymore (mostly the walker-locked ones like Inventor's Fair) and the conversion of most of the Legacy PvE events into single-player format.  There are just not a lot of options, somehow.

Here are all the PvP events that I see on the wiki (https://wiki.mtgpq.info/wiki/Portal:Events) that were/are coalition events:
    Hibernium:  Terrors, Emrakul, FiRF, EO, ToS, ToA, and HoR,
    Oktagon:     RtO, TDW, RaW, Challenge, and Titanomachy

Considering RaW, Challenge, and RtO aren't exactly loved events and most of the Hibernium events use set-specific mechanics (transform, cycling, embalm...ect), there really isn't a large pool of events to choose from.

And PvE events are even worse, since we only have RotGP, BoFT, and Elderspark that are still in Coalition-format.
    (yuck).  At least there are a dozen story-mode-lite PvE events that can be rotated around, but non-coalition events just don't pack the same oomf.