Contrarian View : I am ok with CL10 PVE

LavaManLee
LavaManLee Posts: 1,414 Chairperson of the Boards
I hit day 1911 tomorrow.  11 5* champs (all meta except Strange), all 4* champs (except Karnak).  No 5* over 464.

After three different PVE events, I have come to the conclusion that it is not bad at all and nice to have something different to work towards.  Is it unfolding exactly like the Devs said it would?  No.  That is for another thread.

But I don't mind how it is set up now.  Basically, I see this as a matrix and deciding if I want to do CL10 or CL9:

* Does Placement matter? (i.e. is there a new 4* in the placement reward)
* Do I have the required 5* champed?
* What does the delta between progression CL10/CL9 rewards mean for my roster?
* How much time do I have to legitimately spend on this event?

Once I have those answered, I know which one to play and am comfortable with my decision.  I actually enjoy that 5* shards are part of CL10 and I can either decide whether they are good (yay 5* Strange) or not worth it (boo 5* BW).

Are the nodes difficult?  Heck yeah.  In Venom Bomb SCL10 right now, I gave up after two clears of the Challenge Node as I just couldn't get it.  But I don't mind thinking about different teams and not automatically doing 50Thor5/Okoye/5X for every, single node.

Anyways, I am very happy something new is added to the game and that I can change my game play to fit it as needed.  Definitely understand this may not be the normal thinking and can put my flame proof jacket on now.  :-)

Thanks for reading.  Cheers!

Comments

• captainheath
    captainheath Posts: 254 Mover and Shaker
    I am also enjoying it and have almost the same roster setup as yours.  

I never play for placement and the extra progression rewards are nice.  I am also okay with the scaling of the really hard nodes.  It is nice to have a challenge.
  • Scofie
    Scofie GLOBAL_MODERATORS Posts: 1,309 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm enjoying it too. It's hard at times. The Venom Bomb challenge node seems to be the easiest of them all so far with WorthyCap, HE and Coulson nailing them without any issues.

I have 9 5* champs with only HE and 5trange as the closest to meta. I was genuinely worried I wouldn't compete but, aside from the time investment increase, it's been good so far. Definitely worth it for the rewards. 
  • pheregas
    pheregas Posts: 1,721 Chairperson of the Boards
    We've had a lot of good discussion over various threads regarding CL10 PVE.  If I can summarize, the majority of people seem to feel that the rewards are excellent for CL10.

Many people like the added difficulty and challenge of the fights.  The majority of these people also seem to only be interested in progression only.

There is a vocal subset that have complained about the time requirements for CL10 PVE.  (I among them).

End Summary.

There is still a lot to unpack after our third PVE post-CL10.  We've gotten little to no feedback from the powers that be.

It seems fair that based on the reviews, that if CL10 was designed to be progression only.  If this was the design, then it is working as intended.

It should also be stated that if this is the intention, it does lead to consequences towards alliance placements (ie, those that clear early generate less points as well as those that give up on a node earn less points.)  We are still adjusting this change.

We are all still getting used to this new mechanic and, as it stands, I just simply don't have enough time in the day to work on all these hit points.  I'd love to earn more rewards, but I guess if I'm not willing to put in up to 3 hours of PVE a day, then it is just not for me.  And that's okay if that is the intention.  Again, I'd love to hear any sort of reply from @IceIX regarding this.
  • max5esq
    max5esq Posts: 58 Match Maker
    Most non Hardcore players don't read or post on here and I think the vast majority would agree they went too high with the levels on some of the nodes. I think its too hard, a little too hard not way to hard. I like the increased rewards but without meta 5 stars its too difficult to beat the hardest levels.  Really only a couple of the nodes need to be scaled down a bit but for the casual player (and I have all but the newest 4 stars champed and 11 many fully covered 5's but not the meta ones) its just a bit too much scale some of it back 50 levels and it will be good, it will still be very hard and challenging and take less time.
  • Warbringa
    Warbringa Posts: 1,299 Chairperson of the Boards
    Yes I will generally play in SCL 10 for most PvE as I rarely ever played for placement before anyway.  Simulator PvE I will certainly move down to SCL 9, just not interested in grinding that thing at levels 500+.  Some of the newer events may be really tricky too in PvE 10 as they did create many more diverse and challenging nodes in the newer PvEs they have brought out over the past year or so.  If any of those present too much pain I can always move down to SCL 9 for a handful of events if necessary.  

• BagPuss
    BagPuss Posts: 73 Match Maker
    Difficulty isn't really the real issue here. You can muddle through progression somehow. 

The combination of current placement rewards and extended time requirements is the main problem. 

Rework one or the other or even both and it's fine. 
  • Pants1000
    Pants1000 Posts: 484 Mover and Shaker
    I like the idea of top placement going to the players who can clear the hardest nodes, rather then based on speed/timing.  CL10 kind of does that.

I was in a top 50/100 PVE alliance for years, and recently went very casual.  Some days I play a couple DDQ nodes for the daily calendar and that’s it.  CL10 got me interested again for the challenge, and I’ve got full progression the last couple events.  I’ll play some events to full progression, and just skip events when I feel like it.

I get why the top placement players don’t like it though.  It is a lot of time if you do a full 7 clears on all nodes.
  • Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,699 Chairperson of the Boards
    It takes a lot of time, but I've found that I don't have to play anywhere near optimal, and that balances things a little. I enjoy the nonchalant clears and easily t50. I'm happy.

That said, the 5* Inhumans node is going to be impossible.
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    I've asked for years and years for "Progression only PVE" and this isn't 100% that but I suspect it's as close as we'll ever get. I like being able to be 'relaxed' (run at any time, not specific times) and get basically the best of the rewards despite this "having a life" thing that doesn't allow me to start/grind at specific times on a daily basis. I really like that you can get so many of the new 4* covers so quickly this time.

All that said, the time commitment is always going to be the question the OP posts that I'll have to consider almost every time. Difficulty is probably always going to mean "more time", but CL10 may have been dialed up to 12 when 10 would have been fine.
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    pheregas said:

There is still a lot to unpack after our third PVE post-CL10. 

This reminds me: early on I meant to come post (and still might do a poll if one doesn't pop up after we get some classics going) - the order of 5e's as CL10 was released made me quite suspicious.

First event: PX, the strongest 5* out there and one almost ready to rotate out of latest...meaning it is -the- character the most possible amount of players have champed.

Second event: BRB. Third event: Carnage.

The three characters that players might/can get champed. I want to know about player feedback when we start getting to classics that newer players might not have champed. I want to know about player feedback when we start having to use Wasp/Banner, characters that were...not great let's say...when released and have been made obsolete (as almost everything has) by the newer 5*'s as we've gotten power creep.
  • Warbringa
    Warbringa Posts: 1,299 Chairperson of the Boards
    SnowcaTT said:
    pheregas said:

This reminds me: early on I meant to come post (and still might do a poll if one doesn't pop up after we get some classics going) - the order of 5e's as CL10 was released made me quite suspicious.

First event: PX, the strongest 5* out there and one almost ready to rotate out of latest...meaning it is -the- character the most possible amount of players have champed.

The three characters that players might/can get champed. I want to know about player feedback when we start getting to classics that newer players might not have champed. I want to know about player feedback when we start having to use Wasp/Banner, characters that were...not great let's say...when released and have been made obsolete (as almost everything has) by the newer 5*'s as we've gotten power creep.
    I will be welcoming classics as I have far more classics useful than current latests.  Right now X, BRB and Carnage are not useful to me (X is slightly useful with Okoye but that is about it).  It is a challenge for me on the 5e as 1/3 of your team is basically dead weight but I have been able to clear most of the 5e at least 4 times and many of them 6 times even with that dead weight.  
  • helix72
    helix72 Posts: 995 Critical Contributor
    I did CL 10 for the first event and made full progression. It allowed me to get Northstar to 209 and complete SHIELD training. But it seemed like it took way too much of my time, and my 5* Professor X at 5/5/3 was much better equipped to help in the previous event than my 5* Carnage at 1/0/0 would be in this one.

So I dropped to CL 9 for Venom Bomb and I'm regretting it. I'm now through 4+3 clears from day 1 and the first 4 clears on day 2 without using a single health pack or any team other than Gritty + Juggs or essential. The extra covers & shards for Karnak I'm missing out on will put me just that much more behind in trying to get him champed. I can't do perfect timing so I never get placement anyway but now I'll get full progression probably a day before the event ends and boringly grind through the rest of the nodes for some piddly ISO.

I'll take frustration over boredom. At least one requires me to think harder to get through it.
  • Mayo
    Mayo Posts: 156 Tile Toppler
    I like this lvl because it breaks the speed meta grinders status quo and gives rewards for completing the nodes without so much stress. It is likely players which have developed other characters for months will test other none so meta teams and have more fun during their progression.
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    SnowcaTT said:
    pheregas said:

I've only got a single blue cover for Bill, and a 3/1/0 Carnage. I've only been managing 4 clears on the 5E and Challenge nodes if they have tile movers, but  if they're goons, I can get 7 clears (tho I usually just green-check). Everything else has been manageable so far. Carnage, even at that point, actually helps significantly, making Attack tiles and bringing a cheap AoE that Kitty or Okoye can buff, but I can't imagine even Wasp or Banner will be significantly more dead weight than the single-cover Bill.
  • shinnaruto
    shinnaruto Posts: 60 Match Maker
    i also did 10 the first 2 events. i thought it was rough going and it took away my attention from my PVP events. On top of that, i was concerned about how much it would hurt my alliance with the loss of points for progression. Now, doing 9 for VB, i am having regrets. I think i liked the challenge and rewards over the super easy clears for the day.

• wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,758 Chairperson of the Boards
    If the challenge node was a one time node instead of a regular node needing 7 clears for placement I would like CL10 a lot more.  I played CL8 for the new release since I had a low level BRB.  

If the challenge node only gave points once or just gave rewards instead of acting like a regular node I would love CL10.  As it stands now I will probably rotate how often I play CL10 just to keep my sanity