Honor Among Thieves--9 or 10?

helix72
helix72 Posts: 995 Critical Contributor
So 10 wasn't a total waste for me in Meet Rocket & Groot. I was able to get full progression, but I did not get all the node prizes, it took significantly longer and was significantly harder.

So I'm looking at the next event and trying to decide. I figured I'd start with a prize comparison, looking at full progression on 9 vs full and partial progression on 10. There are 33 progression prizes, and for the partial totals the number in parentheses is the number of progression prizes I achieve:

Prize 9 Full 10 Full 10 (30) 10 (27) 10 (24)
3* Cover                    1                    1                  1                  1                 1
3* Shards                600                   -                   -                   -                  -  
4* Cover                    1                    1                  1                  1                 1
4* Shards                400                900             650             650            650
5* Shards                  50                250             250             125            125
CP                  30                  34                12                12               12
HP                135                150             150                70               70
Event Token                    1                    1                  1                  1                -  
Heroic Token                    2                    1                  1                  1                 1
Mighty Token                   -                      1                  1                  1                 1
ISO            8,800            8,600          8,600          7,000         5,200
RISO          18,650          18,650          5,850          5,850         5,850

So the big risk is the drop in CP. But thinking about this--assuming draw rate for 5* cover of 15%, then the cost for a random cover of a latest legend is 25 CP / 15% = 167 CP. A full cover for a 5* costs 500 shards. So 1 CP = 500/167 or 3 shards.

If I risk giving up 18 CP, then I'm giving up the equivalent of 3 x 18 or 54 5 * shards. But worst case (my estimate of worst case) I'm gaining 75 colorless shards for a specific 5*, and 250 extra shards for a 4*.

Now, this ignores a LOT of things. It ignores all the node prizes I won't get for not getting full progression, it ignores all the other prizes I lose by not getting full progression, and it ignores my lower placement prizes. But I needed something to look at and thought maybe this will help someone else.

Still, I'm really worried about the Mindless Ones nodes that start with Attack tiles. I can only imagine how much damage that's going to do off the bat, and even with Cap Worthy boosted--can an unboosted Carol + Grocket + boosted Cap Worthy eat through the Mindless Ones? Can Kitty keep up with the CD spamming? I still don't know what to do, but I'm leaning towards giving it a go.

Comments

• Anon
    Anon Posts: 1,455 Chairperson of the Boards
    The final wave node with Nova is going to be murder.
  • furbear00000
    furbear00000 Posts: 188 Tile Toppler
    Oh man, mindless ones are going to make it take sooooo much longer to complete. Sticking to 9 for this one. 
  • Taganov
    Taganov Posts: 279 Mover and Shaker
    I dunno. Seems like it'll mainly be Thorkoye 5strange fodder. Or maybe I'm trying to convince myself, since I really want those BRB shards.
  • MegaBee
    MegaBee Posts: 1,018 Chairperson of the Boards
    I have Kitty and 5* Strange champed. I'm going to try it at SCL 10.
  • BriMan2222
    BriMan2222 Posts: 1,232 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm going scl 10. I have BRB champed and I have 5* DD to deal with mindless ones.  He's been great against mindless ones in SCL 9 everytime they pop up letting them create a bunch or strong special tiles and then stealing them and turning them into strike tiles.  I can only imagine how strong those stolen tiles will be in scl 10.
  • BoyWonder1914
    BoyWonder1914 Posts: 884 Critical Contributor
    Only gave R&G a shot because I had PX champed, and enough covers on Carolina where she wasn't just dead weight. My BRB is 0/1/1 and my NorthStar is 0/1/3. I'd get demolished. Not even sure how wise 9 is honestly
  • Pongie
    Pongie Posts: 1,411 Chairperson of the Boards
    My initial intention was to do scl9. I did not grind last event in scl10 (even though I had a useable px at 9 covers) and only did max progress. Finished #rank 304, way outside top200 for even a lone cover reward (competition will be more fierce since this will be a new release event). Without strange championed and beta ray bill only at 7 covers, I figured the grind was going to be a slog as well. I got lazy and scl8 flipped while I was waiting for scl9 and just joined scl8 instead. 
  • MegaBee
    That challenge node with 5* Carnage is BRUTAL. 
  • helix72
    MegaBee said:

Yeah, I got 1 clear with 4* Worthy, 4* Carol, and 4* Grocket. The 2nd clear Worthy (after starting with full health) was dead after 2 turns. But I did get 4 clears on every other node and think I can get 3 more on most of them. Just don't love the amount of extra time it takes.
  • jp1
    jp1 Posts: 1,081 Chairperson of the Boards
    MegaBee said:
     No kidding. I made 4 clears then wiped with nearly my entire roster. I would love to hear a working team for this node at any level.
  • supergarv
    supergarv Posts: 408 Mover and Shaker
    Kitty/BRB/Medusa works a bit. Bring time.
  • CT1888
    CT1888 Posts: 1,201 Chairperson of the Boards
    Thorokoye/XFDP +boosts to get things started worked well for me.
  • LukusDaniel
    LukusDaniel Posts: 6 Just Dropped In
    MegaBee said:
    Okoye + half Thor + Iceman worked for me.

Focused on team up tiles and saved green for Iceman and used Okoye red to set up Iceman blue stuns. 
  • MegaBee
    edited February 2020
    MegaBee said:
    Okoye + half Thor + Iceman worked for me.

Focused on team up tiles and saved green for Iceman and used Okoye red to set up Iceman blue stuns. 
    Oh. My. God. Thank you so much!

EDIT: That's my third and fourth clears sorted. I can't believe how well that worked.
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    With an almost non-existent I shrugged off CL10 and went down for the 4* covers. CL10 (placement) seems worthless to chase without a champed 5e, and getting a few of those shards for the character I don't need seemed pointless.

I typically go highest CL everywhere simply for the CP, but decided not to due to those factors and one more: the mindless take forever, I didn't want to think about how long CL10 HaT would take. There are a couple PVE's I'd really like to just never CL10, this is one and unfortunately Venom Bomb is another - but I'll have to slow churn that one for the shards in the progression tree.

Good luck to the brave souls who take simulator CL10.
  • BagPuss
    BagPuss Posts: 73 Match Maker
    This event (HaT), even with the 5e maxxed is a slog. 
    There are cl9, t10 rank people doing opens in 55mins or more.
    One of my alliance guys took 90 mins, 75% of that was just waiting he reckons. 
  • helix72
    Welp, the event is over for me. To recap, I am a 4* player with no champed 5*s but all but 2 4*s champed. I have a level 315 Kitty at 5/5/3 which helps. I did get full progression on the last day before close.  I did not do 4 clears of every node. I did do 6 of every easy node, and I did as many as I could of the rest, sometimes as many as 6, sometimes 0 (the ultra hard Carnage node on the last day). Timing was not optimal.

I am glad I got the progression rewards, and the extra challenge was kind of nice. The extra Northstar shards got me to 209 and this led me to my first Karmax cover. I did run low on health packs since I play PvP to 1000 as well, but overall I think I’m dropping back down to 9 as the amount of time I spent playing this game skyrocketed to an unmanageable level. Given a weak boost list and the upcoming tile moving nodes, I’ll suffer through fewer rewards for the next event at least.
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,939 Chairperson of the Boards
    helix72 said:
    Welp, the event is over for me. To recap, I am a 4* player with no champed 5*s but all but 2 4*s champed. I have a level 315 Kitty at 5/5/3 which helps. I did get full progression on the last day before close.  I did not do 4 clears of every node. I did do 6 of every easy node, and I did as many as I could of the rest, sometimes as many as 6, sometimes 0 (the ultra hard Carnage node on the last day). Timing was not optimal.

I am glad I got the progression rewards, and the extra challenge was kind of nice. The extra Northstar shards got me to 209 and this led me to my first Karmax cover. I did run low on health packs since I play PvP to 1000 as well, but overall I think I’m dropping back down to 9 as the amount of time I spent playing this game skyrocketed to an unmanageable level. Given a weak boost list and the upcoming tile moving nodes, I’ll suffer through fewer rewards for the next event at least.
    Congrats on progression. Tough for a 4* roster. How was placement for you playing that way?
  • helix72
    @Daredevil217
    Slight correction, I did as many as 7 clears on some nodes (as many as 5 on waves). I placed 143 of 635.