Bye, bye, Marvel Battle Lines!

Options
bluewolf
bluewolf Posts: 5,293 Chairperson of the Boards
Yesterday was the last day for MBL.  You can no longer even log in as the game requires a server connection.

Just thought it was interesting....I never really played it, but it's a decent reminder that money spent on mobile games ultimately often ends up giving you nothing.

I mean they can't even look at their roster/art/etc.  So sad.

Comments

• Ugh
    Ugh Posts: 83 Match Maker
    Options
    First time I ever heard of it.  Maybe there is a reason why it didn't last
  • Painmonger
    Painmonger Posts: 152 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I played it for a few weeks before I just lost interest. There were a lot of play modes, so that part was cool, but some battles just started to scale up too quickly. Sorry to hear it closed, though.
  • JackTenrec
    JackTenrec Posts: 808 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Too bad, it had a nice combination of strategic (card selection) and tactical elements (placing cards in the arena), although I found that I hit a wall early on (since opponents' card quality very quickly outstrips yours).
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I played for a few months and stopped playing it. Once in a while, I popped in to play the game. 

I thought they were pretty generous with their resources and a lot of players levelled up pretty quickly. You could get top tier cards easily as well, via in-game resources.

They have a real time PvP mode and I kind of dislike it because many players will stop making moves in order to waste your time. If you quit, you lose. At least they have a 30-second(?) timer. But still, it was frustrating.

I think the problem was their generosity in the beginning and when they scale up and change many parts of the game (progression, resources needed etc), they faced backlash. 

This game is only slightly more than 1 year old.

• Tucsonjon
    Tucsonjon Posts: 36 Just Dropped In
    Options
    I played it for a few weeks before I just lost interest. There were a lot of play modes, so that part was cool, but some battles just started to scale up too quickly. Sorry to hear it closed, though.
    I had the same experience with it.  Maybe played 5-6 weeks then got too hard to progress in some modes.  for those that don't know it was like a battle tic-tac-toe on a 4x3 board with marvel characters.
  • PuceMoose
    PuceMoose Posts: 1,445 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Heh, I downloaded this shortly after it came out, and... never got around to opening it up, because I was distracted by other games (namely Puzzle Quest, Little Alchemist, and Shin Megami Tensei Liberation Dx2).I guess my decision on when to try it out has been made for me: never!

• Alfje17
    Alfje17 Posts: 3,558 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Tried it as I think Marvel Insider offered some points to download it.
    I quite liked the game itself, but I quickly crashed into the same wall that other players here describe, so gave up then.
    It didn't help that I tried SW:GOH around the same time, so I probably never gave Battle Lines a decent chance.
  • Sm0keyJ0e
    Sm0keyJ0e Posts: 730 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I gave the game a fair shake.

Pros:
    • No timers anywhere! Could play whatever you wanted whenever you wanted.
    • Excellent artwork--I really like the graphics although it was a beast of a resource suck early on. They added graphics management options after a short while.
    • Plethora of cards right from the get go.
    • Many game modes and options. Literally hours of stuff to do each day if you were so inclined.
    • They rebalanced characters often and usually minor tweaks. OP cards on release were quickly fixed, some times more than once. It's really the way it should be and MPQ could take a lesson here.
    Cons:
    • Matches simply took too long. This is what burned me out. The more challenging matches would take 5+ minutes. When you needed to play 20+ matches to earn a reward or complete a mission... it was just too much. Compared to MPQ, matches takes seconds or maybe 1-2m max.
    • Game play was too repetitive. Sounds weird when comparing to a match-3 gem game. But literally it became "Oh you played that card? I will play this one." Often times this leads to the above statement of matches taking too long.
    • Leveling up your cards was really time intensive unless you were willing to drop big bucks.
    There were some other minor issues like language translation--some powers were impossible to decipher what the heck they did, and the designers refused to update/clarify the text.

Then there was my favorite power in the game which was Drax: "On every turn, add ATK 150, HP 150 to self by enraging at the thought of Thanos." Always seemed funny to me Drax would just sit in the corner of the board driving himself mad thinking about Thanos.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,161 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I never played it, was it a Hearthstone-like?
  • crackninja
    crackninja Posts: 444 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    It was more like tic tac toe, only if the x's and o's were movable characters with different skills/powers.  Generally the goal was to complete a [battle] line of characters on the map in order to attack the opposing avatar.  I had some fun with it but only for a month or so.
  • T_REZ5000
    T_REZ5000 Posts: 148 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I really enjoyed MBL until the update that increased max lvl cap for cards.  It instantly killed card donations in alliances and stunted progress.  Said bye bye to the game shortly after as did many other players.