Why no new 3 stars??

Options
2»

Comments

• DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,630 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I wouldn't really mind if they took the bottom 10 or even 15 least used 4* (who would qualify?), tweaked their numbers and reclassified them as 3*. We would have a greater variety of 3's to use for PvP events and PvE Essentials, 3* players would have a larger play box with characters they might already have covered and would chop a lump off of the 4* group dilution. Apart from Talos - he should be reclassified as a 1*.

Obviously there would be issues in doing so with regard to champ rewards but then again when aren't there anyway?
  • PiMacleod
    PiMacleod Posts: 1,724 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    DAZ0273 said:
    I wouldn't really mind if they took the bottom 10 or even 15 least used 4* (who would qualify?), tweaked their numbers and reclassified them as 3*. We would have a greater variety of 3's to use for PvP events and PvE Essentials, 3* players would have a larger play box with characters they might already have covered and would chop a lump off of the 4* group dilution. Apart from Talos - he should be reclassified as a 1*.

Obviously there would be issues in doing so with regard to champ rewards but then again when aren't there anyway?
    Ooo, thatd be a fun (distraction) discussion.  What are the top 10 worst 4 stars?

Everyone would throw Talos on this list.  Emma.  Namor.

But eventually, the lines start to blur... 

Id probably put X23 in there.  If we're counting Limited characters, then obviously Devil Dino too.  Winter Soldier.  War Machine.  Punisher.  Nebula.  Wiccan....

There.  10.  It was hard to choose near the end of the list.  But i could be swayed on some too.
  • PiMacleod
    PiMacleod Posts: 1,724 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Oooo, i forgot Flaptain.  He deserves to be on the list majorly.

I'd still keep X23 on the list over Mysterio.  Im gonna get flak for it, but Mysterio's ability to give me another avenue for purple AP makes my purple based teams much better.  He's 5* Loki's friend.

I'm surprised you'd say Fury...?  I always thought his Blue to be a game changer.  Of course, thats the only reason i ever use him.
  • AXP_isme
    AXP_isme Posts: 809 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I reckon 4* kingpin should be on the list. Apart from converting purple to yellow (IM40 battery, anyone?) his kit is too situational to be useful anywhere. Maybe I’m still bitter about his rework. I would throw IW widow into the mix. Her yellow is nice in a pinch, I guess but I can always find someone I would rather bring. 
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,166 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited January 2020
    Options
    If you pair KP with somebody that always has a CD out (SWitch, Medusa, Valkyrie, even Coulson) he becomes less useless, but I wouldn't say actively good...

Fury's blue does hit hard, and his avengers summoning thing he can do now is also a pretty big hit. I'd say his rework was mostly positive.
  • ZootSax
    ZootSax Posts: 1,819 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I understand why you'd put X-23 there. Her actives are expensive and take an age but that passive red at 5 covers makes her unkillable imo and a great character for 3* to 4* transition. 
    As someone who uses X-23 far more than most, I would still probably say she's not the best for the 3->4 transition, even with her potentially incredible heal, due to her need to tank the colors to activate it.  With the low damage output, someone else is probably your heavy hitter and unfortunately the two best batteries in 3* land, IM40 & Switch, will tank their primary color over X-23 (even Fist will tank purple over her, if you need a black generator for either Cage or Cyclops).

If they would ever relegate a character from the 4* tier to the 3* one (and I don't believe they would ever even consider doing this), it would likely be more due to mechanics than character power.  They do a pretty good job of adding more complicated mechanics as you advance up the tiers, to the point where it is a clear design choice.  There are exceptions, of course (3* Elektra's black & 3* Hawkeye's blue are out of line in terms of complexity with true "3* powers" due to their being copied from higher tiers; 5* Star Lords powers are EXTREMELY simplistic relative to just about every other 5* due to the 3*/5* having the same power set), but as a rule of thumb just about every 4* has at least one power which is far more complicated than anything in the 3* tier or below.  Because of this, commonly maligned characters like Wiccan, Emma, Talos and (especially) Mysterio would never make for good 3*'s...at least IMHO.  
  • tonypq
    tonypq Posts: 549 Critical Contributor
    edited January 2020
    Options
    I think they should add more 3s, but also implement a weekly PVP event that's just for 3* characters where they all get a big buff. Then everyone who plays are on a equal playing field.

The 3s are pretty easily obtainable, unlike 5s PVP where you either have the metas or don't and if you don't it's going to be a rough ride. 

Just seems like a fun way not to abandon 3s but also keep veterans and completionsists interested in acquiring them as well as new players. 

Would also give D3 a way to add some of the more obscure or less heard of characters to the game, rather than add too many wacky characters in the 4 and 5 tier.
  • PuceMoose
    PuceMoose Posts: 1,445 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited January 2020
    Options

Ooo, thatd be a fun (distraction) discussion.  What are the top 10 worst 4 stars?

Everyone would throw Talos on this list.  Emma.  Namor.

But eventually, the lines start to blur... 

Id probably put X23 in there.  If we're counting Limited characters, then obviously Devil Dino too.  Winter Soldier.  War Machine.  Punisher.  Nebula.  Wiccan....

There.  10.  It was hard to choose near the end of the list.  But i could be swayed on some too.

I made a thread last June about this; I imagine even now, six+ months later, the response would be about the same as the poll results then:
    1) Talos is the best at being the worst by a landslide
    2) Emma Frost - strong runner up as the lousiest
    3) A mixture of Kingpin, Namor, Flaptain, etc.

https://forums.d3go.com/discussion/78787/worst-4-character-in-the-game/p1
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I think players don't know how to use Talos and maybe he's not as fast as Chavez.  :o
  • Heartbreaksoup
    Heartbreaksoup Posts: 352 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I'd be happy if they just classified the most recent five or so as 3*s.  Yes, Talos stinks, but I'd rather they just send MODOK, Karolina, Northstar etc into that tier.  I'd much rather have these new losers in reserve, low-powered, for DDQ or an essential node than being forced to build so many of them to 209 for SHIELD training.
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,630 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    MODOK doesn't seem that bad but the other 2 aren't really too exciting.
  • helix72
    helix72 Posts: 991 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I play both PvP and PvE, have nearly every 4* champed (except the last 4 released), and look at my 4*s in tiers:

Tier 1: Characters I use frequently whether boosted or not who fit with multiple partners and teams
    Examples are Rocket & America Chavez

Tier 2: Characters I use whether boosted or not on specific teams, or to serve a specific purpose (e.g. stuns, AP generation), or counter a specific enemy
    Examples are Carnage, Medusa, Juggernaut, and Bishop

Tier 3: Characters I use only when boosted
    X-23 is in this group. One of my fun teams when she's boosted is X-23 plus Carnage plus Medusa. Tons of Green and Purple AP, plus she tanks everything but Yellow and Black over Carnage and Medusa so her healing takes care of the self-harm from Carnage's attack tiles.

Tier 4: Characters I won't use even when boosted unless required to:
    Devil Dinosaur, Sam Wilson, Howard the Duck, Emma Frost, Kingpin, Talos are easily in this tier. I don't have Karolina Dean champed yet but I have a suspicion she may end up here. There are a few others--I know some people love Black Widow as a support character but I just haven't been able to make her useful.
  • MackDan1
    MackDan1 Posts: 106 Tile Toppler
    Options
    As long as 3s and 2s are essential for pve play they should create new ones. Same goes for pvp. Would rather have more 4* pvp. For a while they went back and forth between 3* and 4*.  My 4s are gathering dust. At least do 3434 rotation for pvp. I'd rather see 344344 though due to the number of characters in each tier.