MPQ Sneak Peek: January 2020 Edition (Updated 01/29/20)

Options

Comments

• KGB
    KGB Posts: 2,939 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    In 4* land I saw a few teams featuring Dazzler. But once you hit a certain point (600ish) then you won't see her or any other so-so boosted 4* like Coulson.

I imagine the reason is more likely that you can't leave her on defense or you get beaten down to the 600 range. So if you use her then you have to leave out a different defensive team or shield.

KGB
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,629 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I think I may actually dislike the Kamala Khan PvP more than both Strange and Thanos.
  • jamesh
    jamesh Posts: 1,600 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    DAZ0273 said:
    I've seen some Coulson teams, zero Dazzler teams. Not a single one.
    I've been running Rocket+Groot with Dazzler.  She'd be more effective if she was tanking more colours, but she works pretty well.  She's fun against Strange teams: I cast her red to put out new strike tiles, Strange retaliates, and Dazzler stuns him for 4 turns. Her green also seems to be a better damage dealer than Kamala's in the current tournament.
  • DAZ0273
    Options
    jamesh said:
    DAZ0273 said:
    I've seen some Coulson teams, zero Dazzler teams. Not a single one.
    I've been running Rocket+Groot with Dazzler.  She'd be more effective if she was tanking more colours, but she works pretty well.  She's fun against Strange teams: I cast her red to put out new strike tiles, Strange retaliates, and Dazzler stuns him for 4 turns. Her green also seems to be a better damage dealer than Kamala's in the current tournament.

I used Juggs + R4G - there were no powers to trigger until Strange was dead and then you can do what you like.
  • IceIX
    IceIX ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 4,313 Site Admin
    Options
    Updated all sections!
  • Jormagund
    Jormagund Posts: 175 Tile Toppler
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Thanks IceIX.  Still trying to get my head around the jump in the pattern in awarded four stars in PVP.  We jumped from Rogue or maybe Sabretooth back to about Gwenpool.  We then seem to be progressing normally although we have missed out Hulk (ME) and Iceman; both of those were awarded out of sequence though so maybe that makes sense.
    However... in that case where's the Human Torch?  He's not come after Hulkbuster, wasn't featured as Hammond and now doesn't appear under Jim either.  Is he sorted under T for Torch?
    Oh, and can't be because he's too new as Karolina is coming up as a reward.

• bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,305 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Sim Challenge (2/3/20) - 3 Day Event *New Update*
    Featured Characters:
    5-Star: Hawkeye
    4-Star: Sam Wilson
    3-Star: Cyclops
    2-Star: Magneto

Is this a re-titled Simulator PVE?  Aka same format but renamed to help reduce confusion with Shield Simulator?

Also, Hawkeye was just run in December as a 5E, so that's (a lot) early based on the usual cycle for him to appear again.

People should be happy that there's no 4, and the 5 is delayed, so there are extra opportunities to get the newer 4's before the next ST.
  • shardwick
    shardwick Posts: 2,121 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    @IceIX I found a mistake on the Cap pvp's placement rewards. It says it rewards a purple cover for Karolina when it should say blue since she doesn't have a purple ability.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited January 2020
    Options
    I thought I was the only one who found "Sim Challenge" PvE weird. But, I miss this event. I wonder what new teams they have put together as a challenge. Imagine R4G, C4rol and WorthyCap in there...  >:)

Also, I wonder what's the 'all-new thrilling content" for January (based on R194) is. If it's not PvE, then I think it's going to be something like GwenPrix?
  • starlord1982
    starlord1982 Posts: 19 Just Dropped In
    Options
    @IceIX is the SIM challenge a new event or just the simulator with a different name?
  • starlord1982
    starlord1982 Posts: 19 Just Dropped In
    Options
    @IceIX and is there a chance you have the wrong 5e classic for it? Hawkeye was a 5e in December. 
  • bluewolf
    Options
    @IceIX and is there a chance you have the wrong 5e classic for it? Hawkeye was a 5e in December. 
    I looked more closely and see that the list of essentials:

Featured Characters:

is exactly the same as the last run of Simulator on 12/5/19.  And doesn't match the progression rewards listed just below it:

Progression Rewards:
    4-Star: Jubilee - Purple
    3-Star: Bullseye - Black, Purple, Green
    2-Star: Storm - Blue, Yellow

So it seems like a copy/paste error.  The likely essential - who should be a Classic 5 - is, I think, Okoye as she is next after Kingpin.
  • DAZ0273
    Options

• PiMacleod
    PiMacleod Posts: 1,724 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited January 2020
    Options
    I run Dazzler with R&G, just for fun.  But its hard.

Simply put, we all leveled up R&G so much, that Dazzler doesnt tank green over him (them?).  She's got red and black, and thats it.

So for this PvP (Kamala), red and black is what she looks for... But in pick three, your 3rd choice might tank red and/or black too... And lets be honest, if we're running Dazzler, we're running R&G for the extra SAP tiles, because we want her passive to do what it does best.

I love the idea of Dazzler.... But the community values R&G more, so he's higher leveled by far, and that takes away a color-tank option from Dazzler.  It's also worth noting that he simply came out before Dazzler, so us long-timers have plenty more R&G levels established.  I wonder if there are any newer players that have Dazzler at a higher level, and get to see it differently....
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,166 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I never chased 4ocket directly, i just organically have him at 305 by virtue of him being in the game longer than Dazzler. I chased Dazzler to 13 covers, but then stopped there. She's at 286 now just by existing on my roster. She has the same barrier to adoption as Kraven - she needs to be highly champed relative to what you're facing to do what she does effectively. Compared to Chavez, Bishop, Juggernaut, or WCap who all have mechanics that make them useful from get-go.

I think she would have been better served to have either a jump-in-front herself, or to trigger off of team damage. 
  • bluewolf
    Options
    OK, this is diverging off topic, but anyway:

Rocket is not only older, he was in the game when they had Latest only and Latest weighting on the newest 4's whereas Dazzler entered after Full Dilution was re-implemented.  So of course almost every single player would have a bigger Rocket than Dazzler.  (Those playing back when he entered the game etc)  At least, every single serious player.  I suppose there are some casuals who love Dazzler above anyone else etc but no one should try to chase Dazzler over Rocket for the purpose of having her tank instead of simply building the biggest Rocket they can.  Even (especially!) a a new player should be laser focused on building the meta 4's, ie Rocket over some weird hyper-conditional character that barely sits in the middle of the pack - at best - ability-wise.

Dazzler may honestly be a joke character.  Reading her ability descriptions just sounds ridiculous.  I'm pretty sure she was added because the PW3 podcast guys kept asking for her and by extension forumites kept guessing her for new character clues.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,166 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I chased her early thinking she would solve my Kitty problem, but she did not, and still does not. I concur that she isn't someone you should chase, but I kind of wish she were...
  • spidyjedi84
    spidyjedi84 Posts: 514 Critical Contributor
    Options
    bluewolf said:
    I looked more closely and see that the list of essentials:

Featured Characters:

is exactly the same as the last run of Simulator on 12/5/19.  And doesn't match the progression rewards listed just below it:

Progression Rewards:
    4-Star: Jubilee - Purple
    3-Star: Bullseye - Black, Purple, Green
    2-Star: Storm - Blue, Yellow

So it seems like a copy/paste error.  The likely essential - who should be a Classic 5 - is, I think, Okoye as she is next after Kingpin.
    Which makes sense with her being featured in another store offering before this event.
  • bluewolf
    Options
    Hey, look.  The Emma crash is coming after all.

Yay.....?
  • DAZ0273
    Options
    bluewolf said:
    Hey, look.  The Emma crash is coming after all.

Yay.....?

Oh sweet Odin, why?