5* Kitty Pryde hates me!

Options
Rhipf
Rhipf Posts: 294 Mover and Shaker
Kitty Pryde doesn't want me to get a yellow cover I guess. The last two special vaults that had her in it have been a bust for me. I just finished pulling 16 times on the current vault (Back Me Up, Guys!) and not only did I again fail to get my yellow Kitty I didn't get any 5*'s. 
I realize 16 pulls is a very small pull run to worry about meeting the odds but between this vault and the previous one with Kitty 5* as a featured character (don't recall how many pulls I made on that vault but it was at least 20) it would have been nice to get at least one yellow cover.

Now that I have posted this maybe the board gods will shine on me. Too bad I already wasted my horde of CP (still 4 days to get more though).

End of rant. 8^)

Comments

• Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Yup, she has been ellusive for me too.  I think I have tried a lot more than  40 pulls on the kitty special stores, plus chasing her moderately hard when she was in LLs.  And I still only have 8 covers (including 1 BH).
  • Rod5
    Rod5 Posts: 585 Critical Contributor
    edited January 2020
    Options
    I feel you, but you’re just gonna need to save up more CP/tokens - the odds of getting the cover you want are 1/63, so you’re already needing a chunk of luck to pull. 

RNG is annoying for sure, but the only way to take it out of the equation is to increase the number of pulls.
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,305 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Wow, a post by the real Professor Xavier....😉 (title)

Best of luck, maybe you’ll still find a Kitty in the BMUG store.
  • Vhailorx
    Options
    DAZ0273 said:
    I finally got her yellow via Emma Frost. It still burns me that I had to plow iso and favourite her for shards just to get to 280 for that cover for what is a horrible horrible 4*. And now she is basically useless to me as my Kitty  is 1/5/4 so I'm never bothering to put any more levels into Emma by choice to get any more covers. At least I am 350/500 on shards for Kitty herself but that could still take a long time for another cover...

Bring back Bonus Heroes!!!!!
    But wouldn't you get shards from Emma after level 80?
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,629 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Vhailorx said:
    DAZ0273 said:
    I finally got her yellow via Emma Frost. It still burns me that I had to plow iso and favourite her for shards just to get to 280 for that cover for what is a horrible horrible 4*. And now she is basically useless to me as my Kitty  is 1/5/4 so I'm never bothering to put any more levels into Emma by choice to get any more covers. At least I am 350/500 on shards for Kitty herself but that could still take a long time for another cover...

I would but I have to weigh it against using them to advance Emma when I know I will never use her vs favouriting a different 4* and advancing them instead. Getting the first yellow cover was the main goal, I'll target getting the Kitty shards from elsewhere and if I organically pull Emma covers then that is as it is. I have no interest in levelling her otherwise though.
  • Vhailorx
    Options
    DAZ0273 said:
    Vhailorx said:
    DAZ0273 said:

I would but I have to weigh it against using them to advance Emma when I know I will never use her vs favouriting a different 4* and advancing them instead. Getting the first yellow cover was the main goal, I'll target getting the Kitty shards from elsewhere and if I organically pull Emma covers then that is as it is. I have no interest in levelling her otherwise though.
    No, I think you misunderstand me.  You said that you won't put any more levels into Emma after 280 because your kitty is 1/5/4, implying that you are concerned that you would be unable to use the purple cover you would get at Emma level 300.  But you no longer get a fixed cover at level 300.  You get 500 shards.
  • DAZ0273
    Options
    I would add that I might think differently if it wasn't another 15 covers to the first Kitty shards as my Emma is 280, that is a lot of wasted covers - I could complete an entire other character with bonus shards for that level of covers needed.
  • DAZ0273
    Options
    Vhailorx said:
    DAZ0273 said:
    Vhailorx said:
    DAZ0273 said:

No, I think you misunderstand me.  You said that you won't put any more levels into Emma after 280 because your kitty is 1/5/4, implying that you are concerned that you would be unable to use the purple cover you would get at Emma level 300.  But you no longer get a fixed cover at level 300.  You get 500 shards.
    But like I said - that is 20 covers  away, 15 to the first 100 shards. To advance a character I don't care about. I'll get those shards another way. Of course this now means my next 14 LT/CP pulls will all be Emma...
  • spidyjedi84
    spidyjedi84 Posts: 514 Critical Contributor
    Options
    DAZ0273 said:
    I would add that I might think differently if it wasn't another 15 covers to the first Kitty shards as my Emma is 280, that is a lot of wasted covers - I could complete an entire other character with bonus shards for that level of covers needed.
    Yeah, I did similarily to you, DAZ. I nabbed the Kitty Cover at Emma's 280 and then stopped chasing her. My shards at 5 re currently focused on Kitty, and I'm nearing 400 on that character now. My 4 star now is Magik, aiming for the Hela cover before I'll move down to either Wolfsbane or M.O.D.O.K. for added covers there. 
  • shardwick
    shardwick Posts: 2,121 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    DAZ0273 said:

Hoard your hp and buy Kitty whenever she shows up in the shard store. Don't go nuts, just buy like four or five packs at a time and you'll finish a cover in no time.
  • DAZ0273
    Options
    shardwick said:
    DAZ0273 said:

Hoard your hp and buy Kitty whenever she shows up in the shard store. Don't go nuts, just buy like four or five packs at a time and you'll finish a cover in no time.
    Exactly what I am doing. 😀
  • PuceMoose
    PuceMoose Posts: 1,445 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I had a similar conundrum with the recent Kitty special bundle - 250 Kitty shards, an ugly costume, and a few other things for $50 is not a great deal, but my Kitty is at 4/5/3 with... 247 shards. I felt like this bundle was specifically targeting the money Santa Claus brought me this year. Luckily I've managed to resist the temptation, and I think the deal is over (or over soon, anyway). I'll buy a few shards in the store if she ever rolls around, and earn about nine shards for her a week if my current legendary opening rates continue.
  • turbomoose
    turbomoose Posts: 765 Critical Contributor
    Options
     I have had similar problems trying to get anything other than prof x in the current LT choices 

I can’t seem to get covers for the other 2 5*s available, it’s great to have champed prof x but I would like to get at least 1 cover for BRB 
  • Vhailorx
    Options
     I have had similar problems trying to get anything other than prof x in the current LT choices 

I can’t seem to get covers for the other 2 5*s available, it’s great to have champed prof x but I would like to get at least 1 cover for BRB 
    Better than the other way 'round.  It sucks when RNG refuses to give you the "about to leave" 5*.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    You need to pull, on average, 1/7*1/3*1/3= 63 times to get Kitty Yellow from the same store. If you made 63 pulls from three different stores, assuming equal number of pulls, you pulled only 21 times.
  • havoks
    havoks Posts: 4 Just Dropped In
    Options
    You need to pull, on average, 1/7*1/3*1/3= 63 times to get Kitty Yellow from the same store. If you made 63 pulls from three different stores, assuming equal number of pulls, you pulled only 21 times.
    Are you suggesting that each pull in a store influences the next pull? That a store "remembers" your results?

If so, that's a mechanic that really should be more well known.

Otherwise, that's not typically how statistics and probability work. If the expected value is still 1/63 across 3 different stores, then it doesn't matter if one pulls 61 times in one store, and only once in two other stores, the expected value is still 1/63.
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,305 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    havoks said:
    Are you suggesting that each pull in a store influences the next pull? That a store "remembers" your results?

If so, that's a mechanic that really should be more well known.

Otherwise, that's not typically how statistics and probability work. If the expected value is still 1/63 across 3 different stores, then it doesn't matter if one pulls 61 times in one store, and only once in two other stores, the expected value is still 1/63.
    (I bolded for emphasis.)

No, the game does not remember any pull nor does your last pull influence any other pull in the same store, a different store, etc.

And you are right that pulling the same number of times in any store with Kitty in it would have the same (on average) results, whether it was one time on 63 stores or 63 times in one store.  I pulled a Kitty first pull from Back Me Up, Guys, for example.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I'm sure that I read that it was mentioned by other players (not newbies) before that each store has it own pull tracking. That's why I wrote what I wrote.
  • AXP_isme
    AXP_isme Posts: 809 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Not pull tracking so much but each one has an individual sequence. This is where it gets a bit sticky since the sequences are pre-set, presumably when the store goes live, so your ‘luck’ has already been decided. In this scenario it might matter that you pulled 61/1/1 instead of 1/1/61 depending on the sequence for that particular store. On the other hand you would never know and we should assume that the sequences are generated to follow the stated odds for a large enough sample size. 

The store doesn’t need to have a memory of what you’ve pulled. It has a pre-defined sequence of what you will pull next. It doesn’t matter what came before, you could start at any point in that sequence to all intents and purposes, but the next x number of outcomes  have been decided, to an extent.  It’s simplest to assume that it is whether the draw is 5*(1:2:3) or 4*(1:n) then the makeup of the pot 5*(1:2:3) might change, like when a character rolls out of latest, or might not if it’s a dedicated special store. The thing that’s not decided yet is how many draws you make from that sequence.