Any tips for a new player.  I get smoked whenever I play green and gold

Comments

• Narcoticsagent
    Narcoticsagent Posts: 203 Tile Toppler
    A few questions.

How new a player are you?

Are you in a good coalition?

What do you mean by gold?

Are you playing in standard or legacy events?

I would say first steps are find a good coalition. Then acquire some better planeswalkers while working on crafting the good common and uncommon removal spells. 

I'll be honest it's been a long time since I was a new player and probably dont understand the challenges you face. I could probably help more with specific decks or node strategies.
  • TomB
    TomB Posts: 269 Mover and Shaker
    I'd also suggest logging in at least every day to collect the daily login rewards. The packs you get there for free will help build your collection over time, and will work to fill out your Standard collection.
  • Mburn7
    Mburn7 Posts: 3,427 Chairperson of the Boards
    The key for a new player is to build your collection (start with Origins) and get a couple 2-Color Planeswalkers (Kiora, Kaya, Ral, Domri, Angrath, Nahiri, and Teferi are all solid options, in no particular order).

Try to join a good coalition (there's a coalition channel here: https://forums.d3go.com/categories/mtgpq-coalitions that could help you get noticed, or just messaging someone here or joining randomly in game).
    Good coalitions can provide a lot of deckbuilding and purchasing advice for new players a lot easier than we can here on the forums.

Play Training Grounds every day and compete in as many free events as you can, DO NOT play Trial of the Planes.
    Save up for the Premier Packs (the most expensive pack option), the guaranteed rares are vital for you.  Don't worry about not winning a ton at first, as your collection and skills grow you'll start winning more.
  • Zzyzzx
    Zzyzzx Posts: 248 Tile Toppler
    And these 2 sites are great references for beginners and veterans alike:
    https://wiki.mtgpq.info/
    https://mtgpq.info/
  • Avahad
    Avahad Posts: 296 Mover and Shaker
    Playing rising tensions and It’s counter part 3 times a week is also a good idea- not only do you get free mythic cards but more importantly when they dupe you after collecting them all you can craft an origins mythic every 2 weeks from the orbs there alone.
  • morgue427
    morgue427 Posts: 783 Critical Contributor
    what i did. It helped a lot, advice for a new player, the crafting is very important get every crystal you can and when you get beat remember how and steal mercilessly the combo ;-) learn what works with the cards you have plenty of combos in every color and most can be reproduced with common and uncommon cards. they may be harder or more costly but can be done.
  • Brovine812
    Brovine812 Posts: 3 Just Dropped In
    Thanks for the great advise everyone. 

@Mburn7 I am curious, why shouldn’t I play the trial of plains? Seems like a pack for 30 stones is a good deal. Just trying to understand. 

Also, I joined a coalition and I am scoring in the 800 range but most others score 5 to 30.  Any idea where to find a coalition with players of similar play volume?
  • greenmeanie
    greenmeanie Posts: 123 Tile Toppler
    Trials of Planes right now is at a discount for the holidays.  Will go up to 60 after them.  
  • Avahad
    Avahad Posts: 296 Mover and Shaker
    @Brovine812 head over to the coalition sub forum- I am part of Phoenix family  or TP9 are probably good places to start- both have multiple levels of coalition’s in their ranks :)
  • morgue427
    morgue427 Posts: 783 Critical Contributor
    right now on holiday it is break even you turn 30 crystals into 20 pink get your money back and get a free pack normal cost you pay 30 for 20 pink and a pack, for some that may work for a new player not so much. plus at most levels it will be hard to complete without a good card library
  • Mburn7
    Mburn7 Posts: 3,427 Chairperson of the Boards
    @Brovine812 two reasons:  Firstly as others have said the cost is normally 60 crystals.  Its a great way to turn Crystals into Jewels (yellow into purple), but as a new player your Crystals are much more valuable, since new walkers and card packs are better for you than specific cards.

Also, Trial of the Planes is really really hard.  I've never played it at bronze level so this may be off, but there are a lot of nasty Legacy decks that you won't be able to compete with for a while.  Since the nodes don't recharge you may not even get the rewards that would make it worth it for a top player to do it.
  • Zzyzzx
    Zzyzzx Posts: 248 Tile Toppler
    I was looking for this link the other day but couldn't recall where it was, I found it today.
    https://forums.d3go.com/discussion/67743/is-trial-of-the-planes-for-you
    It's long, but could help you decide one way or the other.