These new PVPs

Options
Aweberman
Aweberman Posts: 428 Mover and Shaker
We have three PVPs this month that are different in some way.

First -- and independent of any opinion on the quality of these events -- I think it's great that the team is trying genuinely new things to mix things up.  Certainly the inclusion of so many 4* events has already made for much more variety than we saw, say, 12-18 months ago.  But a big kudos to the devs for brainstorming some different ideas for events (and having the guts to put them into the regular season).

Reunions was basically a "heroic" PVP (and made me wish we could see "heroic" PVEs again).  I didn't realize that the roster had been so dramatically trimmed the first few times I played; when I did, I was much more excited about the event.  I originally had thought it was just another version of Best Friends Forever (an event that would be improved if the player were forced to use particular teams), but when I discovered that the boosted list was the "only" list ... well, the possibilities are vast for similar events in the future with different lists of boosted characters.  Though maybe a few more options would be nice.

Festival of Fights is like an ongoing Crash of the Titans.  I see another thread on here with suggestions for character usage and some complaints from a few about not liking it.  My opinion is exactly the reverse: This might be one of my absolute favorite PVPs.  While it's true that it can be a health pack drain, I have found that a majority of my 5* characters (none higher than level 467, most in the low 450s) can win at least one match.  The only "problem" I ran into was when I started mowing through matches using Professor X and suddenly found myself at 900 with 39 hours left in the event.  I didn't want to reclimb, so I've had to shield out.

But the fact that each match is so short and that there are no team-ups (or team-up tiles) and that there are no boosts and that SO MANY options are viable (at least once) means that there is a lot of available variety (for deep rosters), even in the 5* tier.  The only tweak I would make to this event would be this: Have each node be rarity-specific -- so, a 5* node, a 4* node, and a 3* node.  Because the only thing I'm missing is the opportunity to be able to use my 4* roster.

Evergreen is an event that limits the available characters to only those that have green powers.  This is probably the most "outside the box" idea of the bunch.  And while I don't have any idea how it will play out in practice, I'm genuinely excited for it to start.

Thanks!

Comments

• Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,547 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I very much like the idea of them trying different things and seeing what works and what doesn't. That is a fantastic idea.

I HATED the 1v1.

BUT, it was 3 days. I can live with that. I probably don't have to see it again for a year. 

I'd love to see them try waves in PvP. I imagine that absolutely destroying health pack reserves, but it'd probably be fun, especially if each wave had different requirements so it wasn't just "beat the Gritty meta, then beat the WorthyCap meta, then beat the Thorkoye meta", or whichever order people want to put those in.
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,309 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    There are a lot of variables that will determine how much you enjoy a specific PVP.

Are you willing to play for wins?  Do you like playing for wins?  What is your score target?

In the 1v1 the winner was/is basically the person with the biggest roster, and that's about all that matters.  More people could do well (hit 900 or so), I'm not sure if the devs like that or not given how bad PVP rewards are in general.

They keep looking for ways to get people to play PVP but the rewards remain ridiculously bad.
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    The other really nice thing about Festival of Fights is that even when I did wipe, it was only one Health Pack to recover, not three. Very quick matches, too, since the opposing health pool is about a third of what it usually is.
    Reunions really needed a deep roster to compete, since the restrictions were pretty tight, and the meta for the event got defined by a couple of older 4*. Festival was a bit different, in that you needed at least one really good solo character in your highest star tier, and past that, roster depth isn't too important. Being able to select a star tier for that one would be a very cool variation.
  • Mikbro81
    Mikbro81 Posts: 16 Just Dropped In
    Options
    I agree that picking a star tier would've been s great idea.  I have one champed 5* and had to use it the whole time.  I would have liked the opportunity to go against some 4* at some point,  but that's the way mmr works.  Oh well
  • MrPlow
    MrPlow Posts: 237 Tile Toppler
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Getting tired of these snowballs causing cascades in favor of the AI.
    This event should be an off season event.

• bluewolf
    Options
    MrPlow said:

Technically Snowball Fight is an old PVP since they first ran it in 2017, but it only gets run once a year.

Either way it's annoying and the snowball tiles feel unfair.
  • Reecoh
    Reecoh Posts: 210 Tile Toppler
    Options
    bluewolf said:

the snowball tiles feel unfair.

They absolutely benefit the AI. All AP earned from cascades go to the AI's pool, all damage inflicted by cascades goes against the player, and destroying the AI's special tiles activates them (i.e. 5* Iceman's blue countdown tiles).
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    from the new PVP I liked Festival of Fights and Evergreen more than Reunions.  Reunions and evergreen were extremely similar and I think the reason I am lower on reunions is the character selection.  I would like to see more like evergreen to see how that would shape up.

for the snowball PVP I think if you made the snowballs go both ways it would be better but it is not bad.  I like the use of multiple different essential characters.

Another idea would be to add more synergy to a PVP event.  If you use all villains you get a bonus of X.  
  • Godzillafan67
    Godzillafan67 Posts: 505 Critical Contributor
    Options
    My thoughts align with @wymtime and @MoosePrime. Devs, please take note.
  • LavaManLee
    LavaManLee Posts: 1,290 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    It's not really a "snowball fight" if you are the only one it affects.  Can't wait until this idiotic PVP is over.
  • Vins2
    Vins2 Posts: 183 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I was enjoying the different ways they were able to keep Bishop out of pvp.  Especially knowing that there are players getting ready for the shield sim grind.  
  • JHawkInc
    JHawkInc Posts: 2,601 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    bluewolf said:
    MrPlow said:

Technically Snowball Fight is an old PVP since they first ran it in 2017, but it only gets run once a year.

All hazard tiles are unfair.  There should be a neutral turn for the hazard tiles to count down, with the cascades doing no damage, and not collecting AP for either team.
    The problem is that a "neutral turn" is probably much harder to encode into the game. Which is why they are the way they are in the first place. (which I admit is totally not a satisfying answer, but that's why we only see this PVP once a year, and why Fight for Wakanda disappeared, because it's not satisfying)
  • tiomono
    tiomono Posts: 1,654 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited January 2020
    Options
    JHawkInc said:
    bluewolf said:
    MrPlow said:

All hazard tiles are unfair.  There should be a neutral turn for the hazard tiles to count down, with the cascades doing no damage, and not collecting AP for either team.
    The problem is that a "neutral turn" is probably much harder to encode into the game. Which is why they are the way they are in the first place. (which I admit is totally not a satisfying answer, but that's why we only see this PVP once a year, and why Fight for Wakanda disappeared, because it's not satisfying)
    Then make them count as both teams countdown? With equal random chances for them spawning in on either teams turn so both teams get snowballs going off on there own turns.

Or better yet replace all your teamups with a snowball power that you can place where you want. That's 3 chances to clear out problem tiles or create cascades.
  • helix72
    helix72 Posts: 991 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Snowball fight is awful. Every fight takes way too long, and I have every 4* or lower featured character champed. This is the first PvP in a while I'm giving up before 900. It's not un-doable, it is just not fun.
  • bluewolf
    edited January 2020
    Options
    It'll be a cold day in tinykitty before I'll say anything good about Snowball Fight.
  • MegaBee
    MegaBee Posts: 982 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I'm just not doing it. I already got the 10-pack season progression, which is my main goal. Anything after that is just gravy.
  • Tony_Foot
    Tony_Foot Posts: 1,713 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I didn't have any issues with SBF compared to all the other pvps this season. Usual run to 900 with no health packs. I don't see the issue with this pvp compared to the complete randomness of evergreen and ridiculous cascades people seemed to love.

Of them all, this was my least hated.
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,631 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    bluewolf said:
    It'll be a cold day in tinykitty before I'll say anything good about Snowball Fight.
    I believe you mean "a cold day in talos" 😉

Cold day, warm day, summer day nobody wants to spend any time "in Talos"...