Kenrith the Returned King

Options
TL;DR version Kenrith is good 8/10.

Longer version. Spent Christmas dinner play testing Kenrith rather that talking to my horribly racist family. Here are some thoughts.

All of his abilities work which is kind of surprising. 

BFFs with Sphinx of the Guildpact. Sphinx is only rare which makes it pretty easy to pair them up. 

I did most of my playtesting with "peasant" decks. Kenrith pairs very well with defender and vigilance creatures and a black support card. 

Kenrith counts supports when checking for colors which means that even if hes your only creatures he can still create a lot of value. 

Hes good in high powered decks as well. Works well with Killer Instinct by bringing the sacrificed creatures back from the yard as long as you have something black like say deadbridge chant. 

Anyone else have any thoughts on him?

Comments

• jtwood
    jtwood Posts: 1,285 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited December 2019
    Options
    I love him. He makes weeny decks really strong because they just keep heaving themselves at the enemy. Playing him in a build with black permanents is a must. The revival is where the money is at. Every permanent should be multicolored, too. 
    Like you with the Sphinx, my first thought was that he’s buddies with Niv. 
  • FindingHeart8
    FindingHeart8 Posts: 2,730 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Screenshot?  Haven't seen what he does yet
  • Nalthazar
    Nalthazar Posts: 136 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I actually made a video on it. Just adding to the pile. It reviews all the cards in the bundle. If you can help figure out the Happily Ever After bug, let me know!

https://youtu.be/yLGMnJOc_LQ
  • Stormcrow
    Stormcrow Posts: 462 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I'll just mention that Planewide Celebration, although it's a mono-green card, makes a 5-color creature (and mtgpq.info has the casting cost incorrect; it only costs 15 mana). Doesn't work with Happily Ever After (since it's a token creature) but should just fine with Kenrith, and the fact that it's a spell and not a creature might help with certain types of shenanigans.
  • HomeRn
    HomeRn Posts: 328 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Kenrith has a nice home in one of my Ugin decks at the moment.  The fact that you want to run Sphinx or Planewide Celebration with Kenrith because they're all 5 colors also makes them an amazing target for Ugin to target them with his 1st ability for ramping purposes!  Add on the fact that Kenrith gives them +2/+2 (providing Kenrith is NOT your first creature...) so that they can take more than 2 hits w/o dying and Ugin can ramp way out of control is given even a slightest opportunity.

Then there's the fact that Ugin is one of only 3 colorless PWs... which means you can literally use ANY card with Kenrith (shenanigans, so many shenanigans...).