Turning bad PR into profit

Options
Wonko33
Wonko33 Posts: 985 Critical Contributor
After the retro reward fiasco last week and the reversal on Monday that gave us tons of shards and covers and made many of us ISO starved, boom huge ISO sales, well played D3 ....  you all get Xmas bonuses ;)

Comments

• Dogface
    Dogface Posts: 973 Critical Contributor
    Options
    My ISO deficit is so huge that even a Stark wouldn't help much. So i'm just going to get some ISO here and there, meanwhile keeping a lot of characters softcapped out of necessity not out of choice  :(
  • IIAlonditeII
    IIAlonditeII Posts: 150 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Yeah, still don't think many people will buy ISO.

I feel sorry for the ones that do.
  • abmoraz
    abmoraz Posts: 712 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I'm still post-ISO... but I also haven't applied any levels from shards yet.  Until I can get some way to sort my 280 characters, scrolling by 1 at a time is pointless.  As I get covers for them, I'll add the levels from the shards too.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I still have a million ISO even after all that.
  • halirin
    halirin Posts: 327 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    abmoraz said:
    I'm still post-ISO... but I also haven't applied any levels from shards yet.  Until I can get some way to sort my 280 characters, scrolling by 1 at a time is pointless.  As I get covers for them, I'll add the levels from the shards too.
    You can. In the character screen choose the filter that's an up arrow, and you'll only see characters ready to apply shards (and maybe ones with a cover in the vine; I haven't checked that yet).
  • halirin
    halirin Posts: 327 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Ok, actually it's even better than that. This might be just from the new update, but it looks like there's an "apply a cover" filter that shows characters with a cover on the vine or enough shards for a cover/champ level. Then, there's also a filter for characters that can be leveled with iso.
  • Dogface
    Options
    If it's possible i'd like to know how long the post ISO people have been playing, bc I believe it's a longevity thing. 
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited December 2019
    Options
    Apart from longevity, I think it also includes a combination of:

1. Level of personal competitiveness  in PvEs, Boss Events and PvPs
    2. Level of alliance competitiveness in PvE, Boss Events and PvPs
    3. Spending (not a lot)
    4. Frequency of playing Lightning Rounds
    5. 2* and 3* Farming

I'm saying that because I have seen a number of posters at in-game Day 1XXX but they have only a handful of 4* champed. Then it drilled down to them being casual players.
  • Dogface
    Options
    Apart from longevity, I think it also includes a combination of:

1. Level of personal competitiveness  in PvEs, Boss Events and PvPs
    2. Level of alliance competitiveness in PvE, Boss Events and PvPs
    3. Spending (not a lot)
    4. Frequency of playing Lightning Rounds
    5. 2* and 3* Farming

I'm saying that because I have seen a number of posters at in-game Day 1XXX but they have only a handful of 4* champed. Then it drilled down to them being casual players.
    What I specifically meant by longevity is that even with an active style of play it would take a long time to get post ISO. So if it takes a superactive in PVE/PVP with (some) spending say 3 years, it might take me 5.
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,295 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I'm not exactly sure when I went post-iso...probably sometime late last year or very early this year, which was after about 3 years of playing hard.  I've been a VIP for almost the entire time it's been available and I have bought some  bundles along the way, and have over 10 million iso now.
  • shardwick
    shardwick Posts: 2,121 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Post-iso feels like some fairytale world for me that's still far, far away. About to focus heavily on my dupe 3s that have 2* feeders and try to flip them as quickly as I can to get there sooner. Also, can you say that you're post-red iso if you have 800,000+ red iso with nothing to spend it on because the game will only give you 1* support dupes?
  • KGB
    KGB Posts: 2,937 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited December 2019
    Options
    Dogface said:
    If it's possible i'd like to know how long the post ISO people have been playing, bc I believe it's a longevity thing. 

Day 1800ish. Been post ISO for probably 100 days or so.

It's technically post ISO. I have 5.8 million ISO but also 20 4* to level up from 209 (they are fully covered). That would eat about 4.2 million of my stash leaving me with 1.6 million for my 5*s (I have 3 fully covered, many more in the 10+ cover range). I also have 2000 elite tokens and 900+ taco tokens that I could open fully cycle my 2/3* farms with too for even more ISO/CP etc.

So yeah, I need some more ISO for the 5* when I ultimately get them but since I'm not making the jump for a while yet (until I fully cover at least 2 of Okoye/Thor/Kitty which I have none covered yet) I can pick and choose who to level when. I've reached the apathy stage on 4* champs in that unless they are feeders or until I have 20+ covers there is no reason to champ the also ran 4*s.

KGB
  • PuceMoose
    PuceMoose Posts: 1,445 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited December 2019
    Options
    Dogface said:

Hmm.. that's kind of an interesting discussion topic. Like KGB alluded to, I think "Post-ISO" might mean different things to different people. I would describe myself as post-ISO, even though I have hundreds of characters I could invest ISO into. I typically allow myself to champ one four-star a season, and they have to work for it - the last one to earn the honor was Ronin (love that guy!). One of the best decisions for my personal play style was to simply stop worrying about Shield Training. I make sure to earn at least one cover of the newest 4* through PvE, then move on. If I like them, then I chase 'em (like Ronin or 4* Torch), but otherwise I don't worry about them. It's been rather liberating.

*EDIT* Oh, and to answer the quoted question - day 2212 here
  • The rockett
    The rockett Posts: 2,016 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Dogface said:
    Been playing for 2000+ days. I had 9.5 mil Iso before the champ update and now i am down to 5.5 mil. 

I play all events including Lighting Rounds. This is where you can really make out. Also, champ rewards was another thing that would always help your roster grow, but not sure what this will look like in the future with the reduction/colorless tax. 
  • Bryan Lambert
    Bryan Lambert Posts: 234 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Day 2247 here, and am “truly” post-ISO in that I couldn’t spend ISO on anything right now if I wanted to. Currently F2P, spent maybe a year and a half on VIP and before that the occasional HP or bundle purchase. 

What I find right now is that the game’s pretty carefully tuned at the F2P level to give you right around as much ISO as you need through “hardcore-light” play as you need to level the covers you earn through the same amount of play. I do six clears of PvE, usually top 100. I play PvP non-competitively to 575 or 650 and my alliance isn’t remotely competitive. I farm 2’s and 3’s. Never really messed with Lightning Rounds much. And I hover in the 2.5-3 million ISO range pretty much constantly. More while I’m hoarding, less when I’m not, but since at any given moment I’m only adding 1-2 levels to a handful of characters. So it keeps pace or slightly ahead of pace.

If my experience is accurate, then yeah, there’s a little more ISO in the game than you need to keep up, so getting post-ISO is a function of time played and when you start more than anything else, as you apply the slightl-more-than-you-need-to-keep-up ISO you earn to your backlog, and the longer you’ve played, the smaller your backlog is.
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,913 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Iso is a really big snowball effect. Each new character released represents a huge chunk to your iso deficit while each character champed not only removes that deficit, but potentially adds iso through champ rewards/farming. For example, having all the 4* champed means that opening a huge hoard is all profit. Once you are able to keep up with a tier that snowball grows exponentially. The 4* tier of course the hardest to tackle due to size and cost. 
  • PiMacleod
    PiMacleod Posts: 1,723 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Day 2248.  Not post iso in the least.  Just got my 6th 5* champ...  At least 10 4*s left to champ, and plenty of 5*s that need levels too.

But i spend nothing more than $2 to keep those extras rolling in, and i only do full progression PvE clears, and enough PvP to normally get 4000 pts per season.  I never play for placement.  Our alliance is decent... Round 8 boss clears each time, and a full active roster of 20 people.

So, nope, not post iso.  And its not just based on logins...  
  • abmoraz
    abmoraz Posts: 712 Critical Contributor
    Options
    halirin said:
    Ok, actually it's even better than that. This might be just from the new update, but it looks like there's an "apply a cover" filter that shows characters with a cover on the vine or enough shards for a cover/champ level. Then, there's also a filter for characters that can be leveled with iso.

It is the new update.  Those options just appeared.  They weren't there when I posted.
  • Dogface
    Options
    It seems that to be post ISO you definitely need a couple (5+)  of years, even if you're playing a lot. I'm in just over 3 years, so I'll factor in another two or so years.