The Royal Scions

Options
I had planned to share my thoughts on this new planeswalker but I ran in to an unsurprising problem. The support from the 3rd loyalty ability doesnt work or doesnt work as written. I was unable to get it to trigger at all. 

Without the support ability I will give this Walker a 4/10 

Decent amount of slots for spells and supports. Mana gains are perfectly average and first 2 loyalty abilities are competent but uninspiring. 

What are your thoughts on The Royal Scions?

Comments

• mrixl2520
    mrixl2520 Posts: 240 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I'll probably skip them. Their abilities look fine, but I agree that they look a bit uninspired. 

What I would like to see is a transforming version of them with the BattleBond abilities...
  • Quantius
    Quantius Posts: 228 Tile Toppler
    edited December 2019
    Options
    I haven't had much time with them, but I think the first ability is the strongest in their suite. It's a 6 loyalty ability which means it will be up frequently and I think pairing them with GY tricks will be a good direction. And being UR, there are some nice toys there like Connive/Concot. It's easy to whiff with Concot, but if you know you can discard a creature and cheat it into play that same turn while drawing two cards, that's a great play. Same for stuff like Dance of the Manse, being able to control when you dump stuff is a rare, but useful tool. It's why Lili4's A1 is strong.

Anyway, we'll see. I don't think they'll ever be a powerhouse PWer, but they're decent.

Edit* Made a pretty solid deck for them:

Niv-Mizzet, Parun
    Niv-Mizzet, the Firemind
    Avaracious Dragon

Beacon Bolt
    Connive/Concoct
    Talent of the Telepath
    Exquisite Firecraft
    Discovery/Dispersal

Izzet Guildgate
    Sphinx's Tutelage