How to make Mysterio work?

Options
Falconfreak
Falconfreak Posts: 119 Tile Toppler
I have always really enjoyed the classic Sinister Six and was thrilled to see Mysterio in the game. I cannot for the life of me figure out a good team to use him in. He has two passives and only one active that is dependent on matched tiles to do literally any damage. He steals blue tiles from the team to convert. He heals himself for a very small amount but also hurts one of his allies to do it. 

What would be a good team for him? I'm thinking Juggy for the passive tank to avoid Mysterio taking damage. Since you wouldn't be using a lot of AP between Mysterio and Juggy, Chavez for the last spot?

Appreciate any advise from those that have him working. 

Comments

• ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,166 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    So he wants blue to create yellow. His yellow CD turns matched yellow into purple. his purple puts down blue traps. This kit demands a blue battery to get kickstarted. The 4* tier is full of top-tier blue batteries in the form of:
    WCap - this may be a very interesting option - starves the board of yellow, but by creating blue/red that Mysterio is going to turn into yellow anyway
    Bishop - definitely not broken or anything
    Vulture is probably your guy thematically. He is legit real good, creates blue Mysterio can do stuff to, but has a good enough green that he won't miss the theft. 

Mystero conditionally does more damage if invisible. 4* Characters who can do that to their bros are:
    Agent Venom - yellow, has excellent board shake for matching traps and generally hits like a truck
    Invisible Woman - yellow, maybe/maybe not great but could be good at 5/3/5 with Vulture?

He has a stun, so characters that like stunned enemies:
    G4mora - competes for blue, maybe not a good idea
    Black Cat - I feel like she could add a lot with her black traps and extra damage to stunned enemies, but they compete for purple

Spider-Man 2099 will probably be a good addition, since Mysterio is inexplicably only "hero" affiliated, there'll be an awful lot of blue matches happening to trigger his passive. Consider adding Miles Morales for purple generation off of web matches, or Spider-Gwen for health recovery off of web matches.

Another option could be Namor - he can add blue to the board for you and shake it on green, but is otherwise not great seeming to me

4* Iceman can add blue to the board, and is actually good, but I feel he'd likely outshine Mysterio on the colors that matter and you'd just get frustrated by the blue siphon.

Chavez - force multiplies most teams, doesn't need to spend AP, and creates excellent board shake for trap-searching

Nightcrawler - competes for purple and blue, but will let you flood the board with any color you care to arrange. In this case you benefit from Blue, Yellow, or Purple being the primary board color for Mysterio, or add in Red for NC.
  • JHawkInc
    JHawkInc Posts: 2,601 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Mysterio is a cyclical character with all three of his colors, and you've got to plan around that (he's not like, say, 3* Gamora, where you can take her into a match for her cheap red and not care about the other two powers).

Blue passive converts blue AP to yellow, with a nice bonus stun/damage if you have excess blue.

Yellow active converts your yellow matches into purple AP while a countdown is active, with the (weird) disadvantage that he steals ally health when that countdown goes off. Upside is that the blue passive feeds this power, so you can keep gaining yellow AP to keep the countdown on the board even though your yellow matches are generating purple AP.

Purple goes invis and drops some blue traps that are your main source of damage. These go off when matched OR destroyed, and conveniently are the same color that you want to match to start building up blue AP for his passive to begin with.

So, first thoughts. Obviously works well with Red/Black/Green characters. He would work well with people who have passives in his colors that don't interfere with his cycle. He would work well with people that generate tiles and AP in his colors. He would work well with characters that destroy tiles and can set off his traps. He would benefit a tiny amount from someone who could make him invisible to keep his trap damage higher. And he could theoretically benefit from playing support and using part of his cycle to feed other characters (say, using his blue/yellow to generate purple AP for another character).

I like 4* Carnage, colors are completely separate, Carnage does his own thing with his black passive, and Carnage's green can destroy those traps. Mostly two separate sources of damage with some mild overlap via Carnage's tile destruction.

4* Iceman can be interesting. Mysterio uses blue and yellow to make purple, Iceman uses purple to put down more blue, Iceman uses green for an AoE nuke. If there aren't any red tiles for Iceman, you can put down Mysterio's traps with purple, and you've got Iceman's stronger blue stun up your sleeve. Gives for a little versatility.

Sandman can give a stupid amount of board shuffling. Get Mysterio's countdown out, start using Sandman's purple, shuffles the board, makes yellow tiles, any that are matched become purple thanks to Mysterio, and Sandman can keep shuffling the board. You get Sandman's decent green, and don't worry about his yellow.

Really, while you can make some kinda fun combos, Mysterio would probably be best paired with some goons, as an enemy in a PVE event, where two Maggia type dudes can make blue/yellow AP to fuel Mysterio and make him more dangerous than he would be without that AP generation. His kit just isn't quite fast enough, and his damage not quite high enough, to make him really shine on his own. You can make him work if you're having fun trying out different characters, but he doesn't really work in a competitive sense. For Essential nodes, you're just as well off taking two characters he'll interfere with least and letting them do the legwork.
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    The first one to come to mind for me was MEHulk. The really important part is just to make sure that no one else on the team cares about blue AP.
    I made a post in the Characters board about this a while ago. Didn't see much action, but I recall there were a couple of good ideas in there.
  • MegaBee
    MegaBee Posts: 982 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Crash of the Titans was the most fun I've had with Mysterio.
  • Falconfreak
    Options
    The first one to come to mind for me was MEHulk. The really important part is just to make sure that no one else on the team cares about blue AP.
    I made a post in the Characters board about this a while ago. Didn't see much action, but I recall there were a couple of good ideas in there.
    So I found your thread and I'm going to repost one of the comments. It sounds like a fun idea plus I already have Shuri and IM40 champed:

"I team him up with Shuri and IM40 as a fun team. 

After all three IM40 CD tiles go off, you will have 12 red, 12 blue, 9 green and 3 purple. The next or current turn, one random opponent will be stunned for 2 turns due to Mysterio's passive stun.

After IM40 regains consciousness, you will have at least 10 yellow ap due to Mysterio's passive conversion of blue to yellow. Use Shuri's red once to reduce all ap cost by 2 or 3. You can now fire IM40 battery twice or thrice with 10aps. Then use Shuri's red to fortify those CD tiles. Then use Shuri's green to stun the opponent (18.75% chance).

If you can get at least 7 CD tiles to go off, which is highly likely based on my experience, you'll have 28 red, 28 blue, 21 green and 7 purple aps. By now, Mysterio can lay 10 trap tiles and the board should be at least 80% fortified. Shuri can stun all three opponents and Mysterio can back up as another stun and the cycle continues.

Note: I'm not sure if his fortified trap tiles deal damage if it get destroyed by Shuri's green, but if it did, it's great."

Did they ever fix Mysterio's bug that if the trap tile is destroyed it still fires off like it is supposed to do?
  • Falconfreak
    Options
    I just tried the Shur/IM40/Mysterio combo in the current pve against the symbiote nodes and whoa nelly. It works very well. Played it exactly like that poster suggested and it was wrecking face. 
  • PiMacleod
    PiMacleod Posts: 1,724 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I've used him a few times, and usually succeed.  The trick is just realizing that he's a support character.  He's not gonna finish people off... and even if he does, it probably shouldn't be planned.

The best thing I found about him is that he has TWO ways to get AP, and both AP colors are very desirable.  But I find it even better to only plan around ONE of them.  Utilizing both usually leaves you starved and waiting.

1)  Yellow generation.  If you have a build that gets you tons of blue, you will find yourself with plenty of yellow.  IM40, Bishop (duh), Vulture.... people that make or get blue easily.  This allows your Mysterio to make yellow, and occasionally stun as well.  Not bad.  Now your 3rd person can use that yellow to go crazy!  I'm sure you can think of people who have fun yellow abilities, but barely get the opportunity to spam that stuff.

2)  Purple generation.  You need yellow to start it up however, but it's not much.  Basically, you can think of it this way:  you have TWO ways of making purple -- through actually matching it manually, or matching yellow, and firing his yellow off when another yellow match is ready for you to match on the board.  And yes, you want to wait for the match to be available... don't just fire it off all willy-nilly.  I did that out of pure excitement for a plan to come to fruition, just to not have any yellow matches available, and the countdown was wasted.

ANYWAYS... once it countdown is placed, yellow matches make purple.  Now who needs purple?  Insert tons of people with cool abilities.  My personal fave?  5* Loki.  That nuke is nice, and cheap.  Keep stabbing away!

I'd like to note that I've used the Blue->Yellow plan with Bishop in order to neuter Gritty before.  It's one of the only times I lower Bishop's red to 3.... because if his yellow is at 5, he converts more enemy tiles.  And all that yellow that Mysterio is helping with (plus the passive stun on Kitty) makes it a pretty cheap and easy job.
  • ZootSax
    ZootSax Posts: 1,819 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Mysterio/Vulture/4* Widow is fun and reasonably effective, but a little slow and very susceptible to bad boards.  Vulture's the heavy hitter, as his black costs 3 & gains 4 with Widow's yellow active  Vulture's green is your primary damage dealer.  Both Widow & Mysterio can be invisible (Widow for free with her Batons support) while Vulture is airborne to negate quite a bit of damage.  You never use Mysterio's yellow, as Widows makes things tick.