No Coalition event coming weekend, your views

Windy
Windy Posts: 79 Match Maker
Separate thread to discuss the fact that there is no coalition event this weekend. 

My view:

Coalition events are one of the foundations of this community. Skipping these is bad in general (although skipping TE is not, haha). I rather have a small coalition event that meets the communities wishes than another TdR.

Comments

• Avahad
    Avahad Posts: 296 Mover and Shaker
    Personally I always thought AWR was the perfect pairing for a ZvE weekend.
  • Machine
    Machine Posts: 786 Critical Contributor
    Normally I also prefer a small coaltion event over nothing, but looking at the past weekend events, it's ok to give players some time off... I mean, back-to-back 3 day events has broken a lot of players.
  • Julie71
    Julie71 MTGPQ Mod Posts: 707 Critical Contributor
    I'm with @Machine we need a break. And so do our players they are burning out fast.
  • Azerack
    Azerack Posts: 501 Critical Contributor
    Especially after Elderspark, I know I could use a weekend off. :neutral:

• Ampersand
    Ampersand Posts: 206 Tile Toppler
    I'm fine with it. There will still be events to play. 
  • madwren
    madwren Posts: 2,226 Chairperson of the Boards
    I don't mind a break during the holidays, when schedules become tighter. 
  • Vee
    Vee Posts: 3 Just Dropped In
    If TE had not been last weekend, maybe people would have felt differently than what seems to be the consensus here.

Me personally I would rather have had a coalition event (weekend only, no weekdays) than a normal one that we do anytime anyway.
  • thesmallesthuman
    thesmallesthuman Posts: 99 Match Maker
    I feel like I’ve stepped into the twilight zone here that everyone is so whatevs over this

like I get that TE crushed everyone’s spirits, but this is setting a scary precedent. I love a good weekend off but I like them to be on my terms, and part of what always brings me back around eventually is watching the hustle in discord every weekend. If coalition events stop being a regular thing I see a whole lot of people failing to see the point in playing anymore

That being said, we’re in need of some shorter, easier events (such as AWR) for weekends with more single player events or to recover from the horrors of TE. But cutting back precious team time is not the solution here.

• bk1234
    bk1234 Posts: 2,924 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited December 2019
    As an alliance and coalition leader, the word on the street is the break is welcome. 

It’s weird to see people get so upset over this. We used to have the occasional week skipped all the time. After weeks of 5 node events and then TE, plus and a full week of Individual Anniversary events, plus personal  holiday commitments, etc — a weekend of taking it easy, and  actually taking our ELD cards out together at our leisure and building some fun decks and sharing new tricks without the stress of really grueling events seems like a holiday gift. 

We’ll be refreshed and ready to take on our next challenge the following week! 
  • FindingHeart8
    FindingHeart8 Posts: 2,730 Chairperson of the Boards
    On Christmas/Holiday week I'd say sure, why not.

But...

...given the average player's morale in this game is already pretty low, and with coalition events being one of the last lines of defense to keeping players involved; I'd say it's a risky and bad move.  We need easier and shorter events, not an absence of them.  This will give bored players further opportunity to find other games of interest and...well...leave.
  • Windy
    Windy Posts: 79 Match Maker
    Not sure if ever mentioned, but why not get a small in-coalition event where you can obtain some rewards and bragging rights against your fellow coalition members.

I understand the fatigue, but what is difference between playing a individual 8 node event with dual tries per node, or a ZvE event which is quite a few charges as well or a small coalition event? I'd assume the people that do not want an event, won't play at all this weekend?
  • Opperstamper
    Opperstamper Posts: 142 Tile Toppler
    I don't mind having 1 weekend without coalition events, but it shouldn't happen too often. For now it's nice since we had 2 very time consuming events in a row, which tired out a lot of players. I could see a short event tho, something like AWR would be good. If the reason is "we have 2 events running already", have a look at which events those are. TdR isn't very time consuming for most players.
  • JopeX37
    JopeX37 Posts: 138 Tile Toppler
    My view is that it sucks.  We should always have a coalition event every weekend.
  • ambrosio191
    ambrosio191 Posts: 291 Mover and Shaker
    Unfortunately without adjustments A World Reborn (and likely most of the shorter events) wont be feasible.  Those events were designed with cards/objectives that are no longer standard legal.  I dont know how easily it is to switch an event from standard to legacy, but Im guessing it's not going to happen in ~24hrs before the event would normally start.  I dont want to read through the torrent of complaints that will come when people realize they cant get certain objectives.
  • FindingHeart8
    FindingHeart8 Posts: 2,730 Chairperson of the Boards
    Brigby said:
    Hi Everyone. It sounds to me like there are a decent amount of players that would still look forward to a short Coalition event this weekend, such as A World Reborn, in addition to TdR and ZvE, so I'll be sure to pass along this thread to the rest of our team to consider.

Thanks for the feedback!
    @Brigby

What @a@ambrosio191 said, can you make it legacy before releasing it? Otherwise it's going to be a huge mess
  • coldity
    coldity Posts: 44 Just Dropped In
    I think, coalition's events are one of the main aspects of the game and I can't remember the last weekend without. Actually I'm not even sure, if there was ever a weekend with no CE scheduled since I've started playing :open_mouth:
    However, personally I'd prefer to play any CE as usual but I understand the players, who have to recover from the Elderspark and giving them a break to maybe review their collections and decks with all that new sets/standard rotation/anniversary special stuff isn't the worst idea, I guess. Even better, than losing more players because of that.. So I think, I'm gonna be fine, even with 'just' ZvE & TdR this weekend.
    At least as long it can be seen as an exception.