Shard improvement suggestion: Shards in vaults

broll
broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
So I have a small shard improvement suggestion, add them to vaults also.  Vaults didn't have BHs because the trade off was knowing your odds vs the randomness.  Since the shard system doesn't go off of randomness nearly as much and people are upset with how low they are, why not add them to vault pulls too.  It could really encourage people to go nuts on special vaults like the upcoming holiday vault and other big vaults.  

Comments

• crackninja
    crackninja Posts: 444 Mover and Shaker
    I agree with this, and it has been hinted that this is coming.
    It's really important that the tradeoff makes this a net positive...meaning for instance adding in 20 5* shards but removing a 4* cover from the vault is a loss.  Similarly, adding in 250 3* shards and removing a 3* cover is a loss.
    Fingers crossed
  • MegaBee
    MegaBee Posts: 975 Critical Contributor
    Yeah, I mentioned this in the collected suggestions thread.
  • KGB
    KGB Posts: 2,904 Chairperson of the Boards
    While I love the idea, the reality will suck because shards are character specific.

So if there are shards for 3 5* characters and none of them are meta or ones I am sharding for then those vault items are absolutely useless to me and I'd rather have a 3* or even 2* cover for my farm.

This is another example where shards need to be by tier rather than by character.

KGB
  • crackninja
    KGB said:
    While I love the idea, the reality will suck because shards are character specific.

So if there are shards for 3 5* characters and none of them are meta or ones I am sharding for then those vault items are absolutely useless to me and I'd rather have a 3* or even 2* cover for my farm.

This is another example where shards need to be by tier rather than by character.

KGB
    Everything about the rollout suggests we're wasting our breath asking for tier shards.  As long as shards are integrated into all phases of the game, it will not be as bad as people are suggesting, because over the long haul we will be getting 5* covers for all characters, some we care about, some we do not.  But this us all the more reason why they do need to get into vaults (and progression rewards) sooner than later, so everybody can see that big picture and then decide if they are buying in or not.
  • KGB
    KGB Posts: 2,904 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited December 2019
    KGB said:

KGB
    Everything about the rollout suggests we're wasting our breath asking for tier shards.  As long as shards are integrated into all phases of the game, it will not be as bad as people are suggesting, because over the long haul we will be getting 5* covers for all characters, some we care about, some we do not.  But this us all the more reason why they do need to get into vaults (and progression rewards) sooner than later, so everybody can see that big picture and then decide if they are buying in or not.
    The problem is that even if they put 100 shards in for a 5* character this is awful for me. It would take 5 lucky vault draws to get enough shards for 1 cover of a 5* I don't want. If there is 3 characters per vault cycled through that's 12 vaults before you repeat. In other words it would be years (that's plural) before I managed to earn 1 cover that way assuming I got lucky every time that same 5* was in a vault.

And they are never ever putting 100 shards of a 5* in a vault. I'd much rather just have another Moonstone for my farm that I can use today.

KGB
  • The rockett
    The rockett Posts: 2,016 Chairperson of the Boards
    Yea all of these were to go here as requested by the Dev team. 

https://forums.d3go.com/discussion/80482/shard-qol-tweaks-please-post-all-suggestions-here#latest
  • broll
    edited December 2019
    I think there may be some confusion.  I'm not suggesting they add a vault item that contains x shards of x character.  I'm suggesting that every time you pull from a vault you get shards for your targeted heros like you do from cover stores.  Say pulling a single cover from an 80 vault you get x10 3* shards and x 3 4* shards and hopefully at least x1 5* shards, the numbers go up for pulls of increments like with the Heroic pack and other multi-pull stores.  I don't see why vaults shouldn't have this same mechanic to them also.  It would also give people who hoard taco tokens a reason not to if they got 4* and 5* shards each pull.
  • crackninja
    Gotcha...in that case I'd love to see this as it's a pure add-on.  I have my suspicions as to why they don't include them for shards or for BH's in the past, but this would be great.
  • broll
    Gotcha...in that case I'd love to see this as it's a pure add-on.  I have my suspicions as to why they don't include them for shards or for BH's in the past, but this would be great.
    My suspicions as to why they weren't there in the past was the non-cover items (ISO, HP, Tokens, etc).  They couldn't proc BHs and it would probably throw off their code to try and work around this.  But since this is granted by pull regardless of what you get it should be simple to do by comparison.
  • UNC_Samurai
    UNC_Samurai Posts: 401 Mover and Shaker
    Only if the shards replace Iso and not something useful
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,246 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited December 2019
    Why Bonus Heroes in the first place?

The devs introduced bonus heroes at the same time they vaulted anyone who wasn't a Latest 12 4 (as well as a bunch of 3's, for a while).  In a way, it dealt with dilution (in a very unpopular way, although people playing back then had a huge advantage in finishing some of the best 4's in the game - to this very day).

But the idea of bonus heroes from a dev point of view could easily be seen as "pull the lever again, maybe you'll hit the jackpot this time".  You ONLY got them in blind-pull stores, you never knew when they would drop, you didn't even know how good it would be!  (Cheating/previewing aside.)  So while many players play the long game, hoard, etc, there are a substantial number of spenders who keep (kept) pulling the lever hoping for that special bonus to pop in the right color.

A vault is different in that you see what's in it, so you have a general sense of what you can get (or not).  That means the extra motivation to keep pulling comes from seeing your possible results.  This time my luck will change, right?  It has to, I've already pulled 40 times!

Anyway....I always assumed they moved to vaults in PVEs because people in general spend more HP when they see the thing vs it being completely unknown.  Also, PVE gives you a pretty large number of tokens (depends on the PVE) which can mean your odds get a lot better as you go along, again providing incentive to burn some HP and try for the good stuff, especially as the event winds down and you still didn't get that needed Rocket cover.  Both BH and TH provide an extra incentive to keep pulling from those stores where your next pull is unknown, which can be less motivating to a lot of players who are less susceptible to gambling-style mechanics. 

Recall that when the devs introduced full dilution, they tried to tell us that we would be getting more 4's from pulls....where?  From PVP and new release stores, which are the most expensive pulls and I imagine the least popular stores in the game.  They did NOT increase the number of 4's in vaults which would actually have had the most impact for the overall playerbase in terms of actually getting more 4's in player's rosters.

The incentive for the devs to implement a system giving you shards from vault pulls is much lower than in the blind pull stores.  You can argue that the systems have changed and all that, they should give out more shards, but I don't think they feel like they need to provide that extra reason to make more pulls from vaults which market themselves pretty well already.