Forums White Space

pheregas
pheregas Posts: 1,721 Chairperson of the Boards
Did something change recently?
Every time somebody double Returns to start a new paragraph, there is an ungodly amount of white space in between.  I don't recall this a few weeks ago.
Yes, I made sure to single Return between each of these lines while typing this.  It seems horribly constricted when typing, but looks normal post submit.

Comments

• broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    pheregas said:
    Did something change recently?
    Every time somebody double Returns to start a new paragraph, there is an ungodly amount of white space in between.  I don't recall this a few weeks ago.
    Yes, I made sure to single Return between each of these lines while typing this.  It seems horribly constricted when typing, but looks normal post submit.
    I noticed the same on a post earlier.

Also NEW doesn't seem to be working correctly for me either.  Unless I commented it always shows as new, and even a few times when I was the last commenter it showed new.
  • Ed_Dragonrider
    Ed_Dragonrider Posts: 591 Critical Contributor
    The quote bits are also weird, they look bleached-out faded. 
    But worst of all are the new posts. They keep the 'new' on them no matter how many times you read through them, and always start at the beginning instead of the last comment you've read. Which also means it doesn't show how many new comments are in the thread, you have to keep track of everything yourself.
  • MoosePrime
    MoosePrime Posts: 969 Critical Contributor
    But worst of all are the new posts. They keep the 'new' on them no matter how many times you read through them, and always start at the beginning instead of the last comment you've read. Which also means it doesn't show how many new comments are in the thread, you have to keep track of everything yourself.
    A workaround for me has been bookmarking the thread, then removing the bookmark.  That seems to fix it for that thread.
  • Ed_Dragonrider
    Ed_Dragonrider Posts: 591 Critical Contributor
    A workaround for me has been bookmarking the thread, then removing the bookmark.  That seems to fix it for that thread.
    I've tried it and it works!! Thank you so much!!
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    Oh and the fix for the extra white space is to go into the HTML edit and remove extra <br> s.  No sure if you have to post it and edit it or if you can do it before the post.  I've been doing as an after edit.
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    Hi Everyone. I spoke with Vanilla, and this is a known bug that they are already trying to fix. Thanks for your patience everyone!
  • jamesh
    jamesh Posts: 1,600 Chairperson of the Boards

I suspect the problem comes down to HTML sanitisation and how each browser handles the rich text comment entry field.

In Firefox, when I hit return in the text entry field, it creates a <div> element.  It looks like the HTML sanitiser strips those <div> elements and adds two <br> line breaks at the end.  Given that the comment entry field applies no top or bottom margins to <div> elements (as is standard), users are likely to hit "enter" twice, which ends up with four line breaks.

If another editor simply inserted a <br> in rich text fields when the user hits "enter", then the HTML sanitiser would likely leave the line breaks unchanged.