Change the Deck Challenge Objective Please

FindingHeart8
FindingHeart8 Posts: 2,730 Chairperson of the Boards
edited October 2019 in MtGPQ General Discussion
The Objective "Win with a Beginner, Expert, or Master deck," needs to be changed.  Most of those decks are legacy decks and are already unplayable, and 95% of the remaining will be unplayable once the current card base is shifted to legacy.

It'll basically be "Play with an Origins walker," (which are not updated enough to be competitive) or buy the M20 Chandra Planeswalker that isn't available for crystals yet (feels like a cash bait).

Comments

• Mburn7
    Mburn7 Posts: 3,427 Chairperson of the Boards
    I like this objective as it is now but I think Findingheart has a good point about rotation making the objective much more restrictive. Rather than change the objective though I would recommend changes the rules so that any precon deck is usable regardless of whether the cards are in standard. 
    I proposed this the last time this event ran as well.  I really like the concept of the objective, but it is really annoying that most walkers can't be used for it.
  • Ampersand
    Ampersand Posts: 206 Tile Toppler
    I fully agree with @Narcoticsagent and @Mburn7 on opening up the objective to any precon deck. I also think that ONLY precon decks should be allowed for that node. This shouldn't hurt anyone, and will keep people from trolling by entering a custom deck that will almost definitely be superior to any precon deck.
  • greenmeanie
    greenmeanie Posts: 123 Tile Toppler
    I totally agree with what has been said.  @FindingHeart8 try Garruk's expert deck.  It is all from origins and it is pretty decent.
  • Firstofhisname419
    Firstofhisname419 Posts: 129 Tile Toppler
    Ampersand said:
    and will keep people from trolling by entering a custom deck that will almost definitely be superior to any precon deck.
    I used a custom deck, and I wasn't trolling.  I just did the calculation that consistently earning 10 points for each of those fights was better than getting nothing with a **** deck.  
  • mrixl2520
    mrixl2520 Posts: 240 Tile Toppler
    Agreed, this is an objective that needs to go.
  • Stager
    Stager Posts: 6 Just Dropped In
    Why? This is an objective for rewarding you not playing globally used archetypes that everyone plays. I am glad they've came up with a new set of objectives that are fun and challenging. On the other hand I agree with Mburn7 and Ampersand. 
  • TomB
    TomB Posts: 269 Mover and Shaker
    I also agree we should be able to use any precon deck. Maybe the objective should only be used in Legacy-type events?
  • Stalker
    Stalker Posts: 141 Tile Toppler
    TomB said:
    I also agree we should be able to use any precon deck. Maybe the objective should only be used in Legacy-type events?
    Then you run into the mess that is legacy. Only way to make that works is to only allow precon decks and make sure people don’t face the typical custom legacy madness.
  • soultwist
    soultwist Posts: 325 Mover and Shaker
    There are several that seem to work while most are bad, but at the end of the day a missed 5 points doesn't really mean anything here.

If you are perfect without it you can still get to the gems at 120 ribbons in the minimum of 3 rounds.
  • FindingHeart8
    FindingHeart8 Posts: 2,730 Chairperson of the Boards
    Stalker said:
    TomB said:
    Then you run into the mess that is legacy. Only way to make that works is to only allow precon decks and make sure people don’t face the typical custom legacy madness.
    None of the legacy precon decks (that I'm aware of at least) have broken legacy combos, most are just decent at best.

The developers have already made us face legacy decks in standard-only events, so we know it's possible.