Thanks for the Halloween event! It's great.

Options
Kinesia
Kinesia Posts: 1,621 Chairperson of the Boards
I think the halloween event is a great way to preview a new set (which has been asked for many times) and a creative and fun new PvE style.

It's frustrating to have 2 required planeswalkers that have never been required before, I'd recommend in future that you let people "borrow" a level 20 or 30 version if they don't have one and give those PWs in the Vault a discount, this would encourage people to both try them out and also buy them (Good for the company and the players). Or, given that Phlbt shows you can now gate Vault content behind events, you could have the discount only accessible after trying them out.
But this lack doesn't "ruin" the event like some think because the draw is the preview cards NOT the placing rewards at all. My alt doesn't have either walker, so I played enough to get the new cards and then stopped.

As for the animations on trick or treat, they are cool and new (incidentally, on Ral Izzet, they count as him casting spells for his third), and they are fun for a bit, and you should totally play with them turned on for a few games, but yeah, then I turned them off completely. I don't know the right balance for that. Since always on and always off are BOTH bad....
Maybe there could be a new setting where the first time any card or effect turns up in a new game it shows and pauses but _after_ that it flickers by really fast.
Or maybe have a tiny summary of the battleog on the background between the 2 PW pictures, just the last 5? cards or effects scrolling by that you can click on to see what they were if you want. That'd be an unobtrusive but very accessible way to add the detail perhaps.

But yeah, this was a great great new event that did a lot of things right and I would like to see more stuff like this. (Previous holiday events are rubbish by comparison!), so don't let the stupid non-constructive complainers put the nix on things like this in the future, keep experimenting and tweaking and getting better and better. Just like the rest of the internet you need to ignore 90% of the negativity and just focus on the good stuff.

Thank you for the great work!
Kinesia.

Comments

• Azerack
    Azerack Posts: 501 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I would say in terms of annoyance, Arlinn's was the least and then the Gingerbread Thug's was the most annoying. 
    YET, I still managed to get through all three with the right planning (though I didn't immediately get all secondary objectives, but meh, I'm not that hard-up for the rewards).

No bugs that I could see, so, good job there, too. 

Let's see more creative events like that (but you can.. ahh... hold off on the massive food tokens, next time, mm'kay? ;) )!
  • madwren
    madwren Posts: 2,227 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I liked the event in concept, but having to sit through Trick-or-Treat spam drove me a bit nuts. 
  • Narcoticsagent
    Narcoticsagent Posts: 203 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I like the new event. I think the breakable regenerating gems are a nice alternative to indestructible gems. I know the theme this time was trick or treat therefore randomness was intentional but I would like to see them use the same kinds of gems in a non random way. For instance if I knew the black special gem owned by my opponent would give their first creature -2/-2 or the the white gem would give my first creature vigilance I could make strategic decisions around breaking an effect gem or matching for mana gain. I think that would be very cool. 
  • Mburn7
    Mburn7 Posts: 3,427 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    madwren said:
    I liked the event in concept, but having to sit through Trick-or-Treat spam drove me a bit nuts. 
    I agree.  The random effects were quite fun, but could take a while on big cascades.
  • Gunmix25
    Gunmix25 Posts: 1,434 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Mburn7 said:
    madwren said:
    I agree.  The random effects were quite fun, but could take a while on big cascades.

that they did. I did notice that cascades were far more common for this event. The sudden surge of Gingerbread brutes on the AI side had me thinking through my next move and which cards I needed to play. Was very satisfying being forced to adapt on the fly.
  • Larz70
    Larz70 Posts: 132 Tile Toppler
    edited October 2019
    Options
         I think there's some potential here.  The Trick or Treat supports were definitely under-powered and didn't pose that much of a threat for advanced players but I guess it was challenging enough for players with limited collection. I myself simply exiled the supports so that they stop bothering me.  However, maybe in the future, they can make these supports really punish players (like me) who use green converters or Escape Shift/Rupture Spire a lot and make them think twice about blowing up the board.  @madwren will probably disagree with me and think the pop-ups were punishing enough, but I'm thinking of something more strategic like we can see which one are tricks or treats and influence our gem matches.  Or instead of wimpy damage/heal amounts and 1/1 creatures, something more fun or outrageous like exchange control of creatures, all creatures become zombies, disable random creatures instead of just the first one, steal cards from PW hands, etc, etc. 

I enjoyed the Kaya node the most because Kaya is awesome now (thanks for the update devs!) and also Greg has interesting abilities.  Turn creatures into food and then blow them up for some PW damage.  This got me on edge and kept replacing my creatures to distract Greg from using his third as he kept turning my creatures into food instead.  However, even when he had enough loyalty, I never saw him use his third which was good for me as there was a point when I realized I grew my creatures too much that if Greg blew them up, I can get one-shot.  But I was also disappointed as I wanted to see what it was like.  Has anyone else seen the level 60 Greg use his ult in the Kaya node?
  • Larz70
    Larz70 Posts: 132 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Another fun trick or treat effect that could be easy to implement for the devs would be for treats to cast OP cards like BSZ and Killer Instinct, and then the tricks cast duds like Depala and Plague Boiler.
  • FindingHeart8
    FindingHeart8 Posts: 2,730 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Great idea and beta test run for a new holiday event.  Hopefully future seasonal events run more smoothly.
  • Mcclaine
    Mcclaine Posts: 59 Match Maker
    Options
    They will likely be part of a structured PVE event for Thrones of Eldraine when it releases.
  • Mburn7
    Mburn7 Posts: 3,427 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    starfall said:
    This event seems rather repetitive to me? Just three PvE opponents, which you have to play against multiple times? Normally PvE events have been structured to include more opponent than that.
    Eh, I'm more concerned with how the scoring and event-special supports are still buggy (I do think the brackets were fixed though) than worried that there isn't much diversity in opponent.

And I agree with @Mcclaine that these fights are probably going to be one node in whatever Eldraine PvE event we end up getting.  For that, they're pretty perfect. 
  • Gunmix25
    edited November 2019
    Options
    starfall said:
    This event seems rather repetitive to me? Just three PvE opponents, which you have to play against multiple times? Normally PvE events have been structured to include more opponent than that.
    No to me since this is PvE with singular player placement, not coalition and singular player placement like most coalition PvE events. Considering how short this event is, I think it is structured rather well for the time frame that it has available. I do see how you feel it would be repetitive in the PvE format considering that you are used to the fact that the greater majority of our PvE events are coalition based and have multiple nodes to clear.
  • Gunmix25
    edited November 2019
    Options
    starfall said:
    Gunmix25 said:
    starfall said:
    No to me since this is PvE with singular player placement, not coalition and singular player placement like most coalition PvE events.
    But most singular PvE events have ladders, don't they.

Yes, absolutely.

But note that these ladder events are linear progression based only though as they do not have charges nor are they ranked by your performance. As I'm sure you already know the convenience of playing these whenever you have a chance during a timed period for progression is pretty sweet. That and they provide for us a very forgiving event between more competitive events so one doesn't have to sweat the small stuff if you fail an objective, you can retry again without any penalty beyond having to play that rung again to get 100%. 

ToZ is a PvE node event with player ranking, right? I rarely see it so I cannot recall. If I left any other PvE node based events with ranking it was unintended for the sake of this conversation.

Anyways, I didn't find ToT too repetitive because the three nodes kept it at a reasonable number of charges to clear for a ranking event. I will say that the rewards for placement are pretty rich for as simple as this event was. Not that I am grateful because I am. Just a little surprised at how much is earned for the kind of event that it was.

• Volrak
    Volrak Posts: 732 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Gunmix25 said:

ToZ is a PvE node event with player ranking, right? I rarely see it so I cannot recall. If I left any other PvE node based events with ranking it was unintended for the sake of this conversation.

ToT is the only PvE event with individual placement rewards.  (You can see that at a glance if you go to https://wiki.mtgpq.info/wiki/Events, click the Type heading to sort the table by Type, and scan down the Rewards column.)
    Just a little surprised at how much is earned for the kind of event that it was. 
    One reason it's relatively rewarding is of course the unusually tiny bracket size.
  • Gunmix25
    Options
    Volrak said:
    Gunmix25 said:

ToT is the only PvE event with individual placement rewards.  (You can see that at a glance if you go to https://wiki.mtgpq.info/wiki/Events, click the Type heading to sort the table by Type, and scan down the Rewards column.)
    Just a little surprised at how much is earned for the kind of event that it was. 
    One reason it's relatively rewarding is of course the unusually tiny bracket size.

thanks Volrak. *knuckle bump*

Due to another discussion in another thread, maybe this kind of PvE wouldn't bad for say Block restricted with corresponding PW for flavor?

• Volrak
    Volrak Posts: 732 Critical Contributor
    Options
    starfall said:
    i don't play it a lot, would you say it's relatively rewarding if you only play one game in each node? Or do you have to play repeated games against the same opponents for this relatively rewarding reward?
    Considering you have the option to join at almost any time with no danger of missing progression, you certainly don't have to play repeated games for good rewards. 

Such as an M20 booster, 4,000 runes, and 20 jewels for making top 50% in platinum.  No crystals, but the best you can do on any of those three metrics for any other event in the game is a booster from a Legacy set, 1,000 runes, and 1 jewel respectively.  Relatively rewarding, no?