Options
Firinmahlazer
Firinmahlazer Posts: 417 Mover and Shaker
Rubblebelt Rioters: R/G
WAR
Uncommon
11 Mana.
1/5. Haste.

Whenever this creature attacks, it gets +X/+0 until the end of turn where X is the greatest power among creatures you control.

Compare this to....

Tilonalli's Skinshifter: Red
XLN
Rare
14 mana
4/4. Haste.

Whenever this creature attacks, it gets +X/+Y until the end of turn where X is the power and Y is the toughness of the first other creature you control.

Rubblebelt does practically the same thing as a RARE for 3 less mana and it gets the highest power regardless of the first creature and it is R/G giving it access to more PW. It is way too powerful for an uncommon. Not sure what the appropriate nerf is but it needs to be done. 

Comments

• Firinmahlazer
    Options
    WiLDRAGE said:
    There is no world in which that card is worth nerfing.
    You have obviously never faced it with a Gaea on the board. The fact of the matter is that it does what a rare does arguably better for less mana. 
  • ElfNeedsFood
    ElfNeedsFood Posts: 944 Critical Contributor
    Options
    WiLDRAGE said:
    You have obviously never faced it with a Gaea on the board. The fact of the matter is that it does what a rare does arguably better for less mana. 
    Rarity shouldn't be an argument for nerfing a card.  That just leads to pay to win...  
  • Narcoticsagent
    Narcoticsagent Posts: 203 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I do not mean this disrespectfully but is the original post serious or a joke? The post seems like it could be parody to make fun of nerf mania.
  • Horadrim
    Horadrim Posts: 124 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Be careful what you wish for. How about nerfing an uncommon with mythic/masterpiece-level abilities (e.g. mastermind's acquisition) and buffing a mythic/masterpiece with uncommon abilities (e.g. plague boiler)? There has been a problem with card balance... I agree but the cards that need nerfing are ONLY those that break the game (e.g. BSZ, Naru... and I wonder why Omniscience wasn't nerfed [IMHO it is more broken than BSZ, maybe because it's already in legacy]). 
  • Quantius
    Quantius Posts: 228 Tile Toppler
    Options
    So, no, but in the interest of providing constructive feedback:

Rioters costs less, but is also less useful when you don't have a big creature on board whereas the Skinshifter swings for 4. Also, the difference in practical terms of one taking the power of the biggest creature and the other taking it from the first, is quickly resolved by deck building. Another crucial point of interest is that Rioter's only takes the power leaving it with 5 toughness leaving it far more susceptible to burn or death from blocking (these are meaningful weaknesses).

Lastly, nerfing a card because it's "too strong" after copying an actual strong creature (Gaea's Revenge) is a weird logic. It doesn't do much else, it requires good/OP cards (like Mirror March bringing in a Gaea's) to become a threat. It's not like Naru Meha which was a one-card combo engine that would begin a combo by simply entering play.

Rarity doesn't denote power/quality of a card. Rarer cards do tend to be more powerful on average, but that's not a good barometer of whether something should be nerfed or not.
  • Mburn7
    Mburn7 Posts: 3,427 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Pretty much everything I feel like saying has been said above, but I'll throw my 2 cents in anyway.

There are a couple key differences between the Skinshifter (one of my favorite cards) and the Rioters:

1.  Skinshifter gets a toughness boost as well.  That means (due to the poor damage tracking system here) it can be used as a basically-infinite Berzerker attacker as well.  Rioters cannot.

2.  Skinshifter is a 4/4, not a 1/5.  A 1/5 (or even a 2/5 since it should buff from itself) is basically useless if you don't have another creature out, a 4/4 is at least passable.

Now I do agree that the Rioters being multicolored is a fairly sizeable buff, although since the dev team seems to like to treat multicolor cards the same way paper does (as a downside that reduces cost) instead of acknowledging that it is different in PQ makes it hard to justify using it as a reason to call for a nerf.

Also, this card really fails to meet any of the requirements for nerfing a card.  It is not used very often by very many people, it requires fairly strict deckbuilding requirements to make it run well (and even maximixing it doesn't make it broken, just the same as another good card), and it doesn't take over the game once it's played at all (if your opponent already has a GR out that you can't stop the game is probably over anyway).

Overall, if this is a serious call for a nerf, I don't think you quite understand the reasons to nerf a card.
    If this is a mockery of other nerf threads (always a possibility since tone is not conveyed well by text), you picked a rather poor example to satirize.  Next time GR itself or something like Momir if you want a better (but still definitely wrong) case study.
  • Stormcrow
    Stormcrow Posts: 462 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Quantius said:

Rioters costs less, but is also less useful when you don't have a big creature on board whereas the Skinshifter swings for 4.
    This is especially noticeable when you end up drawing into multiples. A reinforced Skinshifter is an 8/8 whereas a reinforced Rioter is swinging for....2.

Anyways, it's a decent, playable uncommon and there are altogether too few of those TBH.
  • Firinmahlazer
    Options
    No it's absolutely a serious post. Electrostatic Pummeler was nerfed because it did the same thing as a Mythic only better, this is no different. Skinshifter is a good card and Rioters is just as good and more people have access to it since it is an uncommon. Nerfed, balanced, whatever you want to call it. And to answer someone's question yes there are absolutely more cards that are UC that are ridiculously OP that should probably be balanced as well. 
  • Kinesia
    Kinesia Posts: 1,621 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    They are not a broken card. Other things that you can break them with may be however!

Gaea's Revenge is coming back in force because it _is_ overpowered and hard to deal with compared to anything else.
    And, yeah, it might be being hit in the face with GR and RR, but I can kill RR with flash without a problem, in that situation GR is still the issue.

It's an awesome common, no doubt, but not broken. It can "be" broken but that's more because other things are, it's just a force multiplier. Literally by 2.

• jtwood
    jtwood Posts: 1,285 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    In this thread I learned that Skinshifter needs a buff ;)
  • Gunmix25
    Gunmix25 Posts: 1,434 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited November 2019
    Options
    WiLDRAGE said:

I would argue that you could use that example regarding Gaeia's Angry Navel Fuzz with many things. Gaeia is the problem and has almost always been, not the card it is being paired with for a combo.

i.e.   …"You have obviously never faced [ insert the below statements ] with a Gaea on the board"

•  Deploy the Gatewatch
    • God-Eternal Rhonas
    • Samut, Voice of Dissent
    • Undergrowth Champion
    • and on and on... you get the gist.

*note: I am not calling for a Gaeia nerf... despite the fact that it does fall under the rules of nerfdom considering how consistently and widely it is used after each set. It is the "go to" mythic creature for green, so much so I can easily bet that I will see it whenever I face a green deck in PvP, and account for it accordingly, if able.

Rioter's don't need to be nerfed.

Kinesia said:
    They are not a broken card. Other things that you can break them with may be however!

Gaea's Revenge is coming back in force because it _is_ overpowered and hard to deal with compared to anything else.
    And, yeah, it might be being hit in the face with GR and RR, but I can kill RR with flash without a problem, in that situation GR is still the issue.

It's an awesome common, no doubt, but not broken. It can "be" broken but that's more because other things are, it's just a force multiplier. Literally by 2.

well said!

• ElfNeedsFood
    Options
    Gaea's Revenge will only become more prominent when we get the update and standard shrinks.   Green is so nerfed in other ways though, that is seems GR might be the primary reason to use green in the new standard, as it is officially double the power of the next highest available green creature after we lose all those dinosaurs...
  • Gunmix25
    Gunmix25 Posts: 1,434 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Gaea's Revenge will only become more prominent when we get the update and standard shrinks.   Green is so nerfed in other ways though, that is seems GR might be the primary reason to use green in the new standard, as it is officially double the power of the next highest available green creature after we lose all those dinosaurs...
    I agree with you 100%. GR will always be the go to mythic after a set drop like this. Despite how OP it is, for gaming purposes it is just common sense to field such a card. Its power and evergreens can give the player using it a significant advantage.
  • Mburn7
    Mburn7 Posts: 3,427 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Gunmix25 said:
    I agree with you 100%. GR will always be the go to mythic after a set drop like this. Despite how OP it is, for gaming purposes it is just common sense to field such a card. Its power and evergreens can give the player using it a significant advantage.
    It'll be interesting to see, since we are losing the two main Standard ways to cheat GR out with rotation (Pact and Invocation).
    Way back when GR was almost never used because the high cost was really tough to fill.  Now with how much green conversion has been nerfed and the new loss of ScapeSpire and STV it may turn out that the cost is too high again.  At least now there are a ton of answers for it.

I'm never sure exactly how the meta will shake out, but I don't think GR will be as ubiquitous going forward as it has been (except in Brokhan and KI decks, which are a problem in their own regard)
  • ElfNeedsFood
    Options
    GR is the only card that will be persistent past card rotations forever, and is therefore ever meta-warping.  Sarkhan will also be able to perisitantly cheat three out in one turn. 

In my mind, the "problem" is that green's compelling card list is a ton shorter than other colors to the point that green's main purpose is to allow you to carry GR, so it's really about how weak the color is as a whole, not how strong GR is...