Is my current strategy the best way for me to continue, at the moment?

Options
IIAlonditeII
IIAlonditeII Posts: 150 Tile Toppler
Hello everyone.

I will begin by saying the link to my roster in my signature is up to date as of 10/17/2019.

Currently, I am doing the following
-playing PvE to at least progression (sometimes sniping a good bracket. If I am missing the 4* and progression is difficult/unlikely for that reason, I will try to uber-snipe and look for any bracket that may flip very late in the race. Through this, I managed to get 4 Miguel2099 Covers with only like 30k points!)
-playing PvP to 575. If the 4* is one that I particularly want or could use, I will make an earnest attempt at 900, though now that I don't shield that has become incredibly hard.
-clear DPD every day, doing the Burrito if I am able
-hoarding Latest Legends (71) and CP (1689)
-hoarding Taco Tokens to blow for guaranteed valued 4* / Legendary Tokens (163 Savory, 58 Sweet)
-hoarding Heroics (not really purposeful, just want to get to 100 and use them all at once to satisfy the craving / stave off the urge to pop Legendaries)
-opening Standard and Epics as they come
-saving all HP and buying a Roster Slot any time I hit 1,000
-only opening Classic Legends packs, 1 at a time, while I have an open Roster Slot
-preparing ISO for when I have multiple 4* heroes able to be champed - currently have 550K (need a lot more)

Favorited:
Carol(3*)
Carol(4*)
Thor (5*)

What, if anything, have I missed?
When you were where I am now, what did you wish you had known above all else?
What would you do differently if you were starting over where I am now?

Thanks everyone!

Comments

• DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,618 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    There are some important differences to note - saved covers did not exist for most of the players on this forum when they were at your level of progress. This is important because in today's game a roster slot has infinite value - once you have just one cover of any character you have no further external pressures on you apart from RNG of cover acquisition. Before Saved Covers any character hitting 13 covers became a ticking timebomb as soon as you drew the 14th.

So to answer one of your questions - I wish I had that safety net when I was transitioning to 4* play. I was forced to champ characters I didn't really want to at the time due to cover loss pressure and it meant my iso reserves were not used in what I feel would was the best strategic manner.

Another difference is that there was no Wins based PvP so for a lot of players that avenue to 4* covers was little more than a pipe dream. I like PvP myself so I have always played as much as I could but there was no realistic path to 900 without champed 4* prior to Wins based unless you were in with the cupcake crowd.

In terms of your better covered 4*, when you are finished with Marvel I would switch focus to Iceman. He is still easily a top 10 character and you can feed him from 3* (Mystique I think?) and he will give you a stun, a nuke and a very good aoe.

As for hoarding Heroics - players tend to do this to try and cover 4* for SHIELD Training purposes as it saves on them having to use up LT'S that they are hoarding otherwise - so you can use this strategy to try and proc more bonus heroes for your 4's.
  • IIAlonditeII
    Options
    DAZ0273 said:
    There are some important differences to note - saved covers did not exist for most of the players on this forum when they were at your level of progress. This is important because in today's game a roster slot has infinite value - once you have just one cover of any character you have no further external pressures on you apart from RNG of cover acquisition. Before Saved Covers any character hitting 13 covers became a ticking timebomb as soon as you drew the 14th.

So to answer one of your questions - I wish I had that safety net when I was transitioning to 4* play. I was forced to champ characters I didn't really want to at the time due to cover loss pressure and it meant my iso reserves were not used in what I feel would was the best strategic manner.

Another difference is that there was no Wins based PvP so for a lot of players that avenue to 4* covers was little more than a pipe dream. I like PvP myself so I have always played as much as I could but there was no realistic path to 900 without champed 4* prior to Wins based unless you were in with the cupcake crowd.

In terms of your better covered 4*, when you are finished with Marvel I would switch focus to Iceman. He is still easily a top 10 character and you can feed him from 3* (Mystique I think?) and he will give you a stun, a nuke and a very good aoe.

As for hoarding Heroics - players tend to do this to try and cover 4* for SHIELD Training purposes as it saves on them having to use up LT'S that they are hoarding otherwise - so you can use this strategy to try and proc more bonus heroes for your 4's.
    Haha, you're right, I can imagine Saved Covers make a massive difference compared to how it used to be, so I can see why that would be a huge take away.

I didn't think about playing to wins in every PvP. It seems like a significant time investment, since I also have taken up playing PVE to completion. If my Roster were deeper, I could probably afford to spam the PvP wins, but as is a lot of my more reliable characters for winning tougher PvP matches (Carnage, Hulkbuster) chew up Health Packs, so 40 wins per PvP seems...lofty. 
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,618 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    DAZ0273 said:

Haha, you're right, I can imagine Saved Covers make a massive difference compared to how it used to be, so I can see why that would be a huge take away.

I didn't think about playing to wins in every PvP. It seems like a significant time investment, since I also have taken up playing PVE to completion. If my Roster were deeper, I could probably afford to spam the PvP wins, but as is a lot of my more reliable characters for winning tougher PvP matches (Carnage, Hulkbuster) chew up Health Packs, so 40 wins per PvP seems...lofty. 
    I am right there with you - I think I may have done the 40 wins thing once! But it was a new avenue for those who like as much grind in their PvP as their pve I guess.
  • Warbringa
    Warbringa Posts: 1,290 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited October 2019
    Options
    You are doing about everything correct.  

PvE gives you the best rewards and while 40 wins in PvP is an option, I don't do it myself as you can play the game too much and really fizzle out, not sure if that much more time spent is worth the added rewards.  

I would do the following if I were you to enhance your PvE clear speeds.  

Get 3* Thanos champed up - you can use him to clear those easy PvE nodes super fast along with 5* that have higher match damage.  Saves some time but that time adds up as you continue to play the game.

Focus on 4* Grocket and Juggernaut covers.  They will make your PvE clears go much faster and allow you to most likely increase SCL faster.  4* Carol is good but not that fast and really doesn't help a ton in PvE compared to these other two. In addition, Grocket and Juggernaut are very effective in PvP too.  

Cardusa, 4* Carnage and Medusa is also a decent PvP team you are close to being able to field.  

If you plan on sticking with the game for the long haul, you need to begin farming 2* characters.  It pays off over time.  Not sure if you are doing so or not as I see that you have a lot of them at level 143?  It is slightly iso negative initially but all of the continued cycling of champ rewards and xp more than compensate for the slight iso loss (compared to just selling the 2* covers).

This isn't very important for you now but it may be in the future.  My personal opinion is to bonus hero Okoye.  I think she is the superior character after recently champing her and being a long time Thor user.  Her self-healing is a huge advantage in PvP and PvE and she is far more flexible than Thor and allows you to use far more different teams than Thor as her passive damage boosting ability enhances a ton of other characters.  She really does make the game more fun imo and is really effective and efficient.  Thor is great too but as a long-time player I truly believe Okoye is actually the better character.

• IIAlonditeII
    Options
    Warbringa said:
    You are doing about everything correct.  

PvE gives you the best rewards and while 40 wins in PvP is an option, I don't do it myself as you can play the game too much and really fizzle out, not sure if that much more time spent is worth the added rewards.  

I would do the following if I were you to enhance your PvE clear speeds.  

Get 3* Thanos champed up - you can use him to clear those easy PvE nodes super fast along with 5* that have higher match damage.  Saves some time but that time adds up as you continue to play the game.

Focus on 4* Grocket and Juggernaut covers.  They will make your PvE clears go much faster and allow you to most likely increase SCL faster.  4* Carol is good but not that fast and really doesn't help a ton in PvE compared to these other two. In addition, Grocket and Juggernaut are very effective in PvP too.  

Cardusa, 4* Carnage and Medusa is also a decent PvP team you are close to being able to field.  

If you plan on sticking with the game for the long haul, you need to begin farming 2* characters.  It pays off over time.  Not sure if you are doing so or not as I see that you have a lot of them at level 143?  It is slightly iso negative initially but all of the continued cycling of champ rewards and xp more than compensate for the slight iso loss (compared to just selling the 2* covers).

This isn't very important for you now but it may be in the future.  My personal opinion is to bonus hero Okoye.  I think she is the superior character after recently champing her and being a long time Thor user.  Her self-healing is a huge advantage in PvP and PvE and she is far more flexible than Thor and allows you to use far more different teams than Thor as her passive damage boosting ability enhances a ton of other characters.  She really does make the game more fun imo and is really effective and efficient.  Thor is great too but as a long-time player I truly believe Okoye is actually the better character.

Hey! Thank you for the response.

Yeah, I'm glad you guys pointed out the 40 wins thing. In cases where I'd really like the 4*, I now will remember that that is also an option (sometimes hitting 900 was just, too too hard.) I really appreciate that one.

Should I favorite Thanos? He's currently champed and at 179, but I was afraid to Favorite him and get a lot of covers for him, because I was worried it would increase his friendly damage too much on his Passive. Is it worth champing him up more? His passive already OHKOs the easy node enemies. I haven't been using him much on the Hard nodes, but if raising his level more and using him there is the optimal strategy the pros have figured out, I'm not against copying it :p

Ohh, Grocket + Juggernaut I hadn't thought about. Both of those for me are rather undercovered (not that C4rol isn't, lol), so I hadn't thought to prioritize them. Neither of them are fed from 3*, right? I wish 3* Rocket fed 4* Rocket.

I can't wait til my Medusa is finished! She's fairly close. I'm excited to try that team at its "full power" - even with my Medusa only partially online, it already feels fun and fast, so I'm stoked to see what it's like at full strenght.

Yes, I am farming them - haha. I have stopped tracking them on the sheet since it got annoying to keep up with resetting them over and over. They are my main form of HP / ISO income, since restarting one nets you a few hundred HP and like 6k ISO every time you complete and flip one through its Champ Rewards again. 

I will switch my Bonus Hero to Okoye! I know she basically pairs with...well, everyone who can use powers. Haha. You raise a good point on her.

Hey, Warbinga, thank you for taking the time to write up such a great reply. I appreciate the guidance!
  • Warbringa
    Warbringa Posts: 1,290 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited October 2019
    Options
    If your Thanos is a high enough level that he KOs the easy nodes, then no you don't need to bonus hero him more.

One of my old time favorite PvE teams was 3*IM and 4Thor.  It appears you are close to getting 4Thor covered so that combo of IM40 yellow for a ton of blue and red AP generation then feeds 4Thor stun and massive red damage was pretty fun.