Class of 20XX PVP Opinion

Options
wingX
wingX Posts: 252 Mover and Shaker

For this anniversary, I kind of like the idea of 'Class of 20XX' PVP event. I am sure there are improvement to make it better but I would like to discuss about which Class is most interesting here and my opinion of each class based on each class boosted characters. (I am a 4* player with slightly more than 1/2 of 4* champed)

Class of 2013

For boosted characters, it has only 1 4*, a few 3* , and quite a lots of 2* and 1*. So it may mostly be for newer player. But out of this boosted characters listed, 1 team I liked is 4*Wolverine, 3*Magneto and 3*Loki which cause lots of board shakes.

Class of 2014

For boosted characters, it has only 3 4*, lots of 3* , and quite a lot of 2*. With IM40 boosted, he can be in lots of teams. However, the 4* in this class is kind of weak (Invisible Woman, Nick and Dino), so what stand out in this class are the 3* .

Class of 2015

The only class with balance number of 4* and 3*, and the first to have a 5* Here we have Iceman as one of strongest 4* and also the class where Hulkbuster can shine again especially since his 2 favourite team mates (Scarlet Witch and 3*Iron Fist) are boosted too. Another interesting pairing here seem to be Carnage and Mr Fantastic.

Class of 2016

Even more 5* are boosted here, but this time there are no 3* boosted. Peggy seem to be the most frequent character that I have encountered in this PVP. Even though Spidergwen and Miles are boosted, I hardly encounter them. One team I like out of the boosted list is 4*Wasp, Drax and Awesome Hulk, with the countdown and extra damage.

Class of 2017

The most powerful class, where most of the best and irritating  4* and 5* and even a few 3* are. there are so many 4* that focus on countdown and special tiles and also where 4*Rocket&Groots are boosted with their teammates. Most Meta team can be found in this class. This is the year where many good characters are released. This is the fastest Class of 20XX PVP for me but I think it will the toughest for those not into 4* territory.

Class of 2018

The stars of this class are mostly America and Jessica. Some of the good boosted 4* teams here are America with Hulk and Ghost. Good pairing include Black Panther and Shuri and maybe Hulk as the 3rd.

Overall, I think each class has its own pros and cons based on the boosted list and individual roster.

Comments

• jp1
    jp1 Posts: 1,069 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Same old same old. Same teams, same top players, etc.

It was interesting to see my roster through the yearly boost list, but it didn’t affect my team choice at all.
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,618 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Gritty, Gritty, who wants the Gritty?

Add me to locking out the non releases for the applicable year.
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,294 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited October 2019
    Options
    The idea was neat in theory. Run all the “Class of” PVPs up to / through the Anniversary.  It sounds like a really neat way to honor the longevity and history of the game - in a vacuum. 

Unfortunately they didn’t ask any (advanced) players what that experience would end up being like. And so created a very negative reaction to most of the PvP events running during Anniversary time among many vets. 

I am glad that some 4* players enjoyed it. 
  • wingX
    Options
    I agree that locking out characters will make these 20XX pvp more fun, but won't it affect some player base without most of those boosted characters? For me I did see lots of Gritty, but mostly in Class of 2017. However I still saw of teams made out of non-boosted, non-meta characters which I think is a pity. It is definitely a missed opportunity.

• randomhero1090
    randomhero1090 Posts: 396 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Just Bishop and HammerCap at the top.  Not much else to say. 
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,162 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Look forward to Class of 2019 today i suppose, where those characters aren't just present but boosted...
  • KGB
    KGB Posts: 2,937 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited October 2019
    Options
    Locking out all characters not released in a given year would mean that anyone who has <2 years playing time is essentially frozen out of playing because they either don't have those characters or only have very few covers for them. It would mean the event was just for vet rosters only and I doubt they'd ever do that.

It's unfortunate that Class of 20XX is geared toward 4* and under rosters where the boost list matters. For 5* players it's just the equivalent of Shield Sim.

A solution that meets both half way might be to lock out any 5* character not released in that year. So for 2013 that would have meant no 5* at all and in 2014 only a very few 5* and so on.

KGB

• ThaRoadWarrior
    edited October 2019
    Options
    I think you'd allow anyone released up to the title year, nothing newer. So everyone is going to have the 2/3* boost list, and likely many of the 4* characters fed by those characters. Since the death of Latest 12, it's kind of the wild west on 4* acquisition; i wouldn't assume anyone recently released is more highly covered than a vintage anymore.

Class of 2019 is probably going to be identical to Shield Sim, just with all the recently released characters that make us all sad boosted at the same time.
  • Southside84
    Southside84 Posts: 93 Match Maker
    Options
    I'm continually puting  out Talos for class of 2019.  If you find me, enjoy the free win
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    edited October 2019
    Options
    aaaaaaand 2019 is exactly that for me lol. Even with 5torm and GE Doom boosted, it's a rough run.
  • Houtro
    Houtro Posts: 464 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Just a lost shoot, maybe they forget to lock the other characters... Maybe. That would be fun!
  • spidyjedi84
    spidyjedi84 Posts: 514 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I didn't play any Bishop or Gritty teams the entire time. I went for wins based as opposed to points based wins. There was a good chunk of variety at the 4 star land. Of course the added benefit was the skip tax was halved to 5 ISO, so I hit that button a lot after I got over 800 points to find a team I'd be willing to face....
  • Godzillafan67
    Godzillafan67 Posts: 504 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I've enjoyed the background art showcasing all the characters released in the given year.
  • wingX
    Options
    I think the Class of 2019 is the worst in relation to boosted characters. The teams tjat I encountered are made up of either boosted Jugg, Bishop or other non-boosted characters. I think that is because many people don't have enough covers for most of the characters released this year and also only few good characters released this year.

When I start this thread, I initially want to discuss about the boosted characters from each class and how each class boosted characters work together. But seeing that most player experience same few characters that are not boosted means that the Class of 20XX is not really as fun as expected. I really hope that this groups of PVP can be improve somehow if run again.
  • spidyjedi84
    spidyjedi84 Posts: 514 Critical Contributor
    Options
    wingX said:
    I think the Class of 2019 is the worst in relation to boosted characters. The teams tjat I encountered are made up of either boosted Jugg, Bishop or other non-boosted characters. I think that is because many people don't have enough covers for most of the characters released this year and also only few good characters released this year.

When I start this thread, I initially want to discuss about the boosted characters from each class and how each class boosted characters work together. But seeing that most player experience same few characters that are not boosted means that the Class of 20XX is not really as fun as expected. I really hope that this groups of PVP can be improve somehow if run again.
    It's the same complaint we've had for other "themed" events in PVP. At this point, especially since this was an off season (wasn't awarding a legendary stone as top placement awards), D3 could really have embraced locking players to only boosted players from each class of the event. We've been saying this is something we don't mind if it's not a regular season and gives some variety to these PVP events. Hopefully it's something they consider in the future, period. I can't wait for the next time Oops All Spiders comes around when it's only All Spider characters you face off against on the opposing teams. 
  • Codex
    Codex Posts: 216 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Typically, i get to 1200 without issue and i would get to it again for class of 2019. But with the wall of bishop and hammecap boosted i stopped at 575. I am not going to bother with the rest.

It not difficult....matches are way too long. 
  • Kixty
    Kixty Posts: 20 Just Dropped In
    edited October 2019
    Options
    I have enjoyed the Class of 20xx pvp. Getting to 900 or 40 wins was relatively easy. I do agree that characters not created in the given year or prior should be locked out. 

I don't have any champed 5s on my roster and I don't have a viable Kitty either.