Events big enough to warrant a feeder character?

Daredevil217
Daredevil217 Posts: 3,939 Chairperson of the Boards
- The game hits its 10th Anniversary

- 100th Anniversary of Marvel (only 20 more years)

- 100 million in profits (wait... that happened? 2 million then!)

- The game hits 15 billion downloads (everyone on the planet downloads it twice)

- "The New Adventures of Hela" gets green-lit as a series on Disney+

- An MCU X-Men movie gets made (ONE of Cable, Angel, Kitty, Gambit, Storm, Xavier, Iceman MIGHT get a feeder)

- Some random holiday (just to keep us on our toes)

- "Iron Man 4: Pepper to the Rescue" becomes a thing

- Enough people leave that the game finally shuts down and there is no more money to be made

Add on...

Comments

• bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,729 Chairperson of the Boards
    Just wait...no movie means no feeder, I guess?

May 2020 is Black Widow.
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    - The game hits its 10th Anniversary

- 100th Anniversary of Marvel (only 20 more years)

- 100 million in profits (wait... that happened? 2 million then!)

- The game hits 15 billion downloads (everyone on the planet downloads it twice)

- "The New Adventures of Hela" gets green-lit as a series on Disney+

- An MCU X-Men movie gets made (ONE of Cable, Angel, Kitty, Gambit, Storm, Xavier, Iceman MIGHT get a feeder)

- Some random holiday (just to keep us on our toes)

- "Iron Man 4: Pepper to the Rescue" becomes a thing

- Enough people leave that the game finally shuts down and there is no more money to be made

Add on...

The Dev team actually becomes active on their official communication outlet. 
    That's not their job.
    It totally IS the job of the community manager, though.
  • pheregas
    pheregas Posts: 1,721 Chairperson of the Boards
    When there's more 5s in the game than 3s.  (Only 11 to go to tie!)
  • AXP_isme
    AXP_isme Posts: 809 Critical Contributor
    Would the heat death of the universe be a big enough event to deserve a feeder?
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    This is pretty stupid. No big event should be needed to get a feeder.

ALL new 5s when released should get a feeder. PERIOD.

All this **** about events is a really bad excuse to still have 5s super hard to get if you dont get them when they are in latest. This is super uber lame. This makes me pretty mad at them. Having characters in my roster with 0 chance of getting them to 13 covers is the WORST I have ever seen in any game. I can't really think of any other game where this happens ( a part than chars or items that are season related).
  • KGB
    KGB Posts: 3,189 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited October 2019
    Polares said:

All this tinykitty about events is a really bad excuse to still have 5s super hard to get if you dont get them when they are in latest. This is super uber lame. This makes me pretty mad at them. Having characters in my roster with 0 chance of getting them to 13 covers is the WORST I have ever seen in any game. I can't really think of any other game where this happens ( a part than chars or items that are season related).
    A 5* feeder upon release? This would only be reasonable if the feeder was a future 4* character (say within 3 months of the 5* release so they could release a 4* that made some sense as a feeder). Otherwise there are FAR too many players now with max champed 4* characters on their roster who would immediately have 9 covers (or more for those farming 4*) of the new 5*. This would mean next to ZERO incentive to chase new releases as it would then technically be easier to get 5* characters than 4* characters (who never have feeders now).

To be honest, I thought we might get Devil Dino as a feeder for a 5*. It would be reasonable given you earn covers faster (or as fast) for Devil Dino now as you do for a regular 4* character (I've gotten 9 Dino's during this anniversary which is the equivalent of opening 900 LT's since you get a specific 4* roughly 1% of the time now which is about how many LT's I earn a year) plus you get 3 more every 365 days on Shield Resupply.

KGB
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    KGB said:
    Polares said:

...Otherwise there are FAR too many players now with max champed 4* characters on their roster who would immediately have 9 covers (or more for those farming 4*) of the new 5*. 

KGB
    You can only go from 0/0/0 to 2/2/2 from a standard feeder. Just being pedantic. Feeders are the only viable mechanism we have right now to finish up mostly built 5*s we weren't able to complete out of Latest, it's probably a 2-year process to grow a champ-able 5* from nothing strictly through 4* feeding. 
  • BriMan2222
    BriMan2222 Posts: 1,231 Chairperson of the Boards
    jp1 said:
    I’ve never been more convinced that we are getting close to the end with this game. 

It seems any strategy to build the infrastructure to support growth and a healthy in game economy is non-existent. 

How long on autopilot before it goes under?
    I would totally agree with this if not for the fact that they just updated how the entire game runs with a new engine.  Why bother with that if you're just waiting out the clock until the game dies?
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    May have been a trickle down from Puzzle Quest: Switch Port?
  • JHawkInc
    JHawkInc Posts: 2,604 Chairperson of the Boards
    "New 5's should get feeders upon release" is like "we should eat candy for dinner every night." It sounds great, but it doesn't take anything into account beyond that, and it's just going to leave you with an upset stomach and regretting it later (or, in game terms, it'll crash the game's income causing the game to just end).

You could give new 5's a feeder when they leave Latest. Maybe even one cycle after that (so when Storm leaves Latest you'd give Rescue a feeder), to minimize interference with the Latest cycle, so people are still inclined to chase during that window.

Regardless of how new characters are handled, I do feel like we're overdue feeders for some of the much older characters like Banner and Archangel. And that it's weird we didn't get at least one for Anniversary.

AXP_isme said:
    Well, Marvel HAS been teasing that in comics a little. They're apparently teasing the creation of the Ninth Universe (current reality being the Eight, which started with The Big Bang, and Galactus being a survivor from the Seventh Universe). If they actually do anything with that it could be a pretty epic comic event.

Coin flip if it's worth a feeder or not.
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,939 Chairperson of the Boards
    AXP_isme said:
    No. 

Death of a multiverse... maybe. 
  • KGB
    edited October 2019
    KGB said:
    Polares said:

...Otherwise there are FAR too many players now with max champed 4* characters on their roster who would immediately have 9 covers (or more for those farming 4*) of the new 5*. 

KGB
    You can only go from 0/0/0 to 2/2/2 from a standard feeder. Just being pedantic. Feeders are the only viable mechanism we have right now to finish up mostly built 5*s we weren't able to complete out of Latest,
    it's probably a 2-year process to grow a champ-able 5* from nothing strictly through 4* feeding. 
    D'oh, your right about 2/2/2 from feeder. That's what happens when I post during lunch when I'm pressed for time to re-read what I wrote.

Feeders aren't the only viable mechanism. There have been a lot of release and other special 5* stores in the last 9 months featuring a variety of older 5*s that can be covered via CP. I'm still a 4* player but using those stores I've managed to fully cover Daredevil and Strange (for when I eventually make the 5* jump) from <6 covers each and take Kitty/Okoye/Thanos from < 3 covers each to 10+ covers each. So you can cover older 5* in that manner, it's just not on any fixed schedule.

There are also H4H offer for single covers if you are close (I bought a 13th cover for my Bolt from one a couple weeks ago). Again, the H4H offer only come a couple times a year for a each 5* (this at least should come way more often or allow multiple purchases when it is offered).

Plus of course BHs.

So saying there is no viable mechanism isn't quite true. What's lacking is a mechanism to complete 'on demand' for a specific 5* (ie select a 5* of choice for a 5* release store). Letting players select 1 of the 3 characters in such stores would really go a long way to helping finish up older 5*.

KGB
  • DarthDeVo
    DarthDeVo Posts: 2,178 Chairperson of the Boards
    KGB said:
    KGB said:
    Polares said:

KGB
    You can only go from 0/0/0 to 2/2/2 from a standard feeder. Just being pedantic. Feeders are the only viable mechanism we have right now to finish up mostly built 5*s we weren't able to complete out of Latest,
    it's probably a 2-year process to grow a champ-able 5* from nothing strictly through 4* feeding. 
    D'oh, your right about 2/2/2 from feeder. That's what happens when I post during lunch when I'm pressed for time to re-read what I wrote.

Feeders aren't the only viable mechanism. There have been a lot of release and other special 5* stores in the last 9 months featuring a variety of older 5*s that can be covered via CP. I'm still a 4* player but using those stores I've managed to fully cover Daredevil and Strange (for when I eventually make the 5* jump) from <6 covers each and take Kitty/Okoye/Thanos from < 3 covers each to 10+ covers each. So you can cover older 5* in that manner, it's just not on any fixed schedule.

There are also H4H offer for single covers if you are close (I bought a 13th cover for my Bolt from one a couple weeks ago). Again, the H4H offer only come a couple times a year for a each 5* (this at least should come way more often or allow multiple purchases when it is offered).

Plus of course BHs.

So saying there is no viable mechanism isn't quite true. What's lacking is a mechanism to complete 'on demand' for a specific 5* (ie select a 5* of choice for a 5* release store). Letting players select 1 of the 3 characters in such stores would really go a long way to helping finish up older 5*.

KGB
    You're not wrong about the stores being ways to potentially finish off older 5*s, but RNG still gonna RNG. For every older 5* I've made good headway on in these special stores, there's another one that sits languishing on my roster because they just weren't lucky enough. 

Remember earlier this year when Cap and especially IM46 were heavily featured? They both happen to be my worst-covered older 5*s. I thought that was going to be a good opportunity to make some headway on them, but ended up getting maybe a cover for each of them.

And I've still never naturally pulled a purple cover for Phoenix, yellow covers for Star-Lord and Green Goblin, blue covers for Cap and IM, or a red cover for Cap. Some of those have been featured more than others and admittedly some I haven't been able to chase as hard due to limited resources and choosing to use those resources elsewhere. But I think overall it points to the general unreliability of the RNG system to get you what you need.
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited October 2019
    KGB said:
    KGB said:
    Polares said:

KGB

Plus of course BHs.

KGB
    Feeders is the only viable option for most of us. If you use another store to finish off old chars then you can't get the ones in latest (maybe whales and buy clubs would, but most players would not), not everybody gets CPs so fast.

And would it be that bad to reward people that have been playing for YEARS to your game, and has some 4s at 370 with some extra covers? Really?

And again maybe whales have 20 or 30+ chars at 370, but most players don't, so again, you need to think with most players in mind. And you can always use newer 4s, no need to use the old ones.
  • KGB
    edited October 2019
    Polares said:
    KGB said:
    KGB said:
    Polares said:

KGB

Plus of course BHs.

KGB
    Feeders is the only viable option for most of us. If you use another store to finish off old chars then you can't get the ones in latest (maybe whales and buy clubs would, but most players would not), not everybody gets CPs so fast.

And would it be that bad to reward people that have been playing for YEARS to your game, and has some 4s at 370 with some extra covers? Really?

And again maybe whales have 20 or 30+ chars at 370, but most players don't, so again, you need to think with most players in mind. And you can always use newer 4s, no need to use the old ones.
    I'm not against feeders (I need them every bit as much as any player does). My point is that you wanted one for every 5* as soon as it was released (or as soon as it moves to classics) and I'm simply saying that's not realistic from their perspective since 5* drive spending (even if they made the feeder a brand new 4*).

It would be very helpful if they added 1 feeder every 3 months, starting with the oldest 5* character that doesn't have one yet and repeat ad nauseum. That would keep the feeder pace approximately 2 years or so behind the latest released 5* characters so you'd need to wait 2 years for a 5* feeder.

I know that seems terribly long to wait, but look at the 4* tier now which has lacked feeders for years (since 3* aren't released any more). There are roughly 85 characters there. If you open 1000 classic LT's you get approximately 850 covers for 85 characters or 10 covers each. You also get 150 5* for 30 characters or roughly 5 each. So its only twice as hard now to cover a 4* as it is 5* (yes, I am aware you get 1 4* from PvP progression but that's the only guaranteed one for newer players since placement rewards are out for them given vet rosters dominate placement). That's 2-1 ratio is only going to get smaller since 4* release rates outpace 5* so that eventually 4* will be harder to cover than 5*!  I doubt they want it to be easier to cover a 5* than a 4* (which feeders would help make that possible).

KGB