Wherefore art thou, notifications?

Options
DarthDeVo
DarthDeVo Posts: 2,176 Chairperson of the Boards
Am I the only one that's no longer getting notifications for any of the threads I've posted in? They definitely have new posts, but I'm not getting any new notifications. I've looked in settings to see if something changed, but didn't see anything immediately obvious. 

Anyone else have their notifications dry up lately? 

Comments

• pheregas
    pheregas Posts: 1,721 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    The lack of communication is now cross-platform.
  • DarthDeVo
    Options
    Well, I got notified about comments in this thread, lol.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,166 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Wherefore is, in fact, ye olde spelling of "why." #TheMoreYouKnow

But I'm also seeing that, yeah.
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

And "ye" is, in fact, a mis-transliteration based on the fact that the single letter that English used to use for that "th" sound looked somewhat similar to the letter y that we kept.
  • Yepyep
    Yepyep Posts: 952 Critical Contributor
    edited October 2019
    Options

And "ye" is, in fact, a mis-transliteration based on the fact that the single letter that English used to use for that "th" sound looked somewhat similar to the letter y that we kept.
    FileEME yesvge  <----being "the" and not "ye" except done by hand with a "scribal abbreviation," what with vellum and no doubt ink being precious and rare.

Huh! Never knew that. Very, very cool.

Pardon me my geek, please, and carry on with on-topic programming!

EDIT to say, after a depressingly long incubation — MISS TRANSLITERATION is a seriously great drag queen’s name... 💁🏼‍♀️
  • AXP_isme
    AXP_isme Posts: 809 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I nominate this thread for pick of the day. Little snark and interesting tidbits of information.  Top work everyone!
  • Yepyep
    Options
    DarthDeVo said:
    Am I the only one that's no longer getting notifications for any of the threads I've posted in? They definitely have new posts, but I'm not getting any new notifications. I've looked in settings to see if something changed, but didn't see anything immediately obvious. 

Came back to say that yes, they’re not working for me. Super strange, but seems like (it should be) nothing more than a check box on a form for the forum software...
  • DarthDeVo
    Options
    Yepyep said:
    DarthDeVo said:

Came back to say that yes, they’re not working for me. Super strange, but seems like (it should be) nothing more than a check box on a form for the forum software...
    Well, nice to know it's not just me. This is literally the only thread I'm getting any notifications for now. 
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    edited October 2019
    Options
    last notification I got was when @Daredevil217 @-ed me in another thread the other day about 5* feeders, but loads of threads I've commented on have been updated since then. Maybe there are special circumstances
  • DarthDeVo
    Options
    OJSP said:
    It's possible you're getting the notifications because you created the thread.

I just checked my notification settings and apparently there's a new option for telling me when my rank changes. I know this is not there since the last time I checked because I've turned all notifications off.
    Yeah, I was assuming the reason why I was at least getting notifications for this thread is because I created it. 

Maybe I'll have to poke around in settings again, see if there's some sort of new default option that only gives notifications for threads you created. 

It's hard to be engaged or track a discussion when you no longer get updates for it but instead have to hunt the topic down in the specific board. 
  • DarthDeVo
    Options
    OJSP said:
    DarthDeVo said:
    It's hard to be engaged or track a discussion when you no longer get updates for it but instead have to hunt the topic down in the specific board. 
    I imagine the function is a good thing for moderators or admins.. imagine if they are getting notifications from all the threads they have commented in.
    Probably true, but it's weird that something obviously changed all the sudden and now it appears hardly anyone is getting any notifications at all across the board. 
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    DarthDeVo said:
    OJSP said:
    DarthDeVo said:
    I imagine the function is a good thing for moderators or admins.. imagine if they are getting notifications from all the threads they have commented in.
    Probably true, but it's weird that something obviously changed all the sudden and now it appears hardly anyone is getting any notifications at all across the board. 
    I'm glad they're gone, they were extremely annoying.
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    OJSP said:
    DarthDeVo said:
    That was toggle-able before. I had it turned off because there were a handful of threads that were getting a ton of activity, but I was no longer interested in following them. I would assume the Mods did much the same to keep from getting swamped by irrelevant notifications.
    No idea why that seems to have been turned off for everyone, tho.
  • Yepyep
    Options
    DarthDeVo said:
    OJSP said:
    It's possible you're getting the notifications because you created the thread.

I just checked my notification settings and apparently there's a new option for telling me when my rank changes. I know this is not there since the last time I checked because I've turned all notifications off.
    Yeah, I was assuming the reason why I was at least getting notifications for this thread is because I created it. 

Maybe I'll have to poke around in settings again, see if there's some sort of new default option that only gives notifications for threads you created. 

This last sentence is so true! It's almost impossible to keep track without the badge on the globe notification icon.

And it's definitely not working -- my last notifications date from Oct. 5... I, for one, made no changes to my notification settings (not knowing before recently that was a possibility).
  • skittledaddy
    skittledaddy Posts: 973 Critical Contributor
    Options
    What's the longest we've gone without a dev post/update?
    Whatever it is, it feels like we've surpassed that now.

• Yepyep
    Options
    What's the longest we've gone without a dev post/update?
    Whatever it is, it feels like we've surpassed that now.

Not really much need for stone tablets when god is dead, eh...?
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    Options
    I feel like notifications might be back?