Year in review - the good and the bad

Projectus2501
Projectus2501 Posts: 218 Tile Toppler
edited October 2019 in MPQ General Discussion
So another year has passed. We have a regular mpq anniversary celebration. A good vault but no feeders. Something good, something bad. But it seems relevant to review the year as a whole and try to evaluate the good and the bad. Here is my opinion. Sorry if it seems I just remember the bad things:

Good:
- the new game engine

Bad:
- New unbalanced characters that make the game less enjoyable to play like hammer cap or bishop.
- ignoring features like supports. I mean, it's not a good feature but it was something that was not that bad for game play. It's really negative to introduce something and then just ignore it.

Do you guys remember anything else? Good or bad? 

Comments

• theomen
    theomen Posts: 99 Match Maker
    No feeders is a major bad.

Kingpin, Cable, Captain Marvel all fairly bad.

Bishop is mind numbingly bad.

No 5* rebalances is quite bad.

New engine cost me a week of play but otherwise works, that's ok.

Hmmm I'm struggling to think of a good. Ahhh Taskmaster event should be fun and unpredictable.
  • Dhaunas
    Dhaunas Posts: 54 Match Maker
    Good:
    - finally, no longer confined to just a 1* Juggernaut
    - a string of solid new covers

Neutral:
    - I disagree with your take on hammercap and bishop; the problem here is not about balance, I feel they are very well crafted. The issue is they are very strong when paired with specific characters... this is a dilution issue, not a balance issue, since not everyone has a deep enough roster to be able to effectively counter those two when they are paired properly.
    - the new game engine. While it looks nice, the lag when initially starting the game (and occasionally into the first couple of matches) is annoying, as is the inability to look at your team's abilities when outside of your turn (at least on pc; this wasn't an issue prior to the new engine).

Bad:
    - lack of feeders for, at the very least, all classic 5*s. This is needed to assist with the first point in my neutral observations.
    - lack of communication on the future of supports. While I've not found them to be necessary, I do find them mildly interesting. I agree that ignoring them isn't a positive thing.

I'm sure there are other things, if I think about it, but nothing just "jumps out" at me.
  • spidyjedi84
    spidyjedi84 Posts: 514 Critical Contributor
    So another year has passed. We have a regular mpq anniversary celebration. A good vault but no feeders. Something good, something bad. But it seems relevant to review the year as a whole and try to evaluate the good and the bad. Here is my opinion. Sorry if it seems I just remember the bad things:

Good:
    - the new game engine

Bad:
    - New unbalanced characters that make the game less enjoyable to play like hammer cap or bishop.
    - ignoring features like supports. I mean, it's not a good feature but it was something that was not that bad for game play. It's really negative to introduce something and then just ignore it.

Do you guys remember anything else? Good or bad? 
    We're a week into what looks like a two week Anniversary celebration. You jump to conclusions on feeders not being announced because they weren't announced in the very first week of said event... In past experience, the feeders are one of the last things they announce during one of these multi-week events.
  • Therealsmkspy
    Therealsmkspy Posts: 254 Mover and Shaker
    I guess two weeks can be viewed as multi-week...
  • BigSoftieFF
    BigSoftieFF Posts: 454 Mover and Shaker
    edited October 2019
    There’s no way I’ll remember everything over the course of the last year but I like the premise of the thread:

Good

* Reduction to just the 4* on the yellow nodes. (Truly great!)
    * New PvE events, and Boss event.
    * New engine.
    * Some great new characters (Tooth, Ronin, Juggs, ProfX, Doom, Ice)

Bad

* Total lack of support direction.
    * Some god awful new characters (Bishop, Brokencap)
    * Lack of dilution answers. Or even attempts to answer?
    * Consistent lack of communication.

Thats what comes to me naturally, I know there’s more in both lists.
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,729 Chairperson of the Boards
    Some positives:

I liked Gwen Prix and really hope that becomes a regularly run event.  So I guess that's a hopeful positive.

I'll echo the appreciation for the new PVEs and the loaner (team-up) node fix.  Big positive.

The new engine is smooth and has sped things up, much appreciated.

Communication had a big improvement with the Sneak Peek extending longer into the future (although that has fallen behind a bit lately), at least.

I liked seeing the CP stores earlier in the year and miss them now....

Some negatives:

Beyond the whole pushing Supports aside issue:  Nerfing Support tokens (the odds of getting high end Supports dropping in Advanced and Master tokens and nerfing the amount of riso you get from dupes) is basically inexcusable at this point, 6 months after they ended Support Circuit and essentially have removed the top 2 tokens from the game with no indication of plans.  I suppose in a way it doesn't matter what the odds are if you can't acquire them.

There are a lot of bugs that came along with the new engine and seem to be hanging around longer than I would have expected.

Echoing the frustrations with dilution.

Feeders?
  • randomhero1090
    randomhero1090 Posts: 396 Mover and Shaker
    edited October 2019
    There’s no way I’ll remember everything over the course of the last year but I like the premise of the thread:

Good

* Reduction to just the 4* on the yellow nodes. (Truly great!)
    * New PvE events, and Boss event.
    * New engine.
    * Some great new characters (Tooth, Ronin, Juggs, ProfX, Doom, Ice)

Bad

* Total lack of support direction.
    * Some god awful new characters (Bishop, Brokencap)
    * Lack of dilution answers. Or even attempts to answer?
    * Consistent lack of communication.

Thats what comes to me naturally, I know there’s more in both lists.
    That's a pretty darn good list right there.

I add, as I always do, feeders.  I just don't understand the lack of feeders.

Also, the 5s need to be better.  We need more meta teams.  More fast teams.  I'm sorry, this is a grind game and i'd like more then 2 options.  I am happy for the 4* players who now have Sabre, Ronin, Juggs and 4Cap.  The Groot/GOTG/Juggs team is nasty and great for PVE.

Iceman, CM5, Cable....  all so close to being meta.  And as you mentioned, they release these powerful and even broken 4s but seem scared to release a meta defining 5*.

• firethorne
    firethorne Posts: 1,505 Chairperson of the Boards
    Forcing people to have a navigation bar always on for android: bad.  I realize some people like it, but it is the FORCING people into it that is bad.   I'd be perfectly happy if it were an OPTION one could toggle.  But for people like me who wanted their display to remain as it had for years, they're now out of luck.