Question about sub-event: Prodigal Sun - China

rkd80
rkd80 Posts: 376
Anyone know why the points attributed to each event are in the low hundreds? Where Manhattan was over 1,000.
I cleared out Manhattan right before it ended (last 10 minutes), so I figured it had something to do with that, but even waiting a whole night did not help.

Also, does anyone know whether the placement of a previous event impacts the score? So I was in the top 5 for Manhattan, but now it is impossible for me to place even in the top 15 in China because even if I grinded everything down I would still be behind 1,000+ points.

Thanks!

Comments

• rkd80 wrote:
    Anyone know why the points attributed to each event are in the low hundreds? Where Manhattan was over 1,000.
    I cleared out Manhattan right before it ended (last 10 minutes), so I figured it had something to do with that, but even waiting a whole night did not help.

Also, does anyone know whether the placement of a previous event impacts the score? So I was in the top 5 for Manhattan, but now it is impossible for me to place even in the top 15 in China because even if I grinded everything down I would still be behind 1,000+ points.

Thanks!

Yes I do see my post in the "Prodigal Sun, Episode 4.5"
    Sumilea wrote:
    The rubber band changed greatly this sub. Instead of gaining one for every 1250 points your behind the leader its now about 2750 points. Also the part with no scaling is much bigger, when I was 2200 behind the bracket leader I had zero rubber band scaling. Its probably even bigger than this is its HIGHLY unlikely I am in the bracket with the overall leader.

The scaling is much closer to the last two events now unlike the first sub which was much closer to the old way rubber banding worked a few months back. Hence this sub your unlikely to get above 3.5 in the scaling meaning the top node will max out just over 1000 points when you about 10K behind the leader.
  • rkd80
    For a relative newbie that explanation is confusing, my apologies.

So something changed and adjustments are not the same as usual, OK. Is there a precedent to this? Since one event seemed to operate per usual, but another event is now different?

Lastly, how does this impact strategy? Seems like waiting for refreshes is now not so important or the typical strategy is still intact?
  • I don't think the rubberbanding has changed, because I started at the worst time possible for my last refresh and I did every mission at least 3 times and still never came close to my sub bracket's #1 who never did any more missions after I started. If it was under the old system, doing every mission 3 times is generally enough to catch up to a static current leader if you started at 0. It may just be that scaling is kicking in because a lot of these scores sure looks like every mission was done 5 times and scaling won't allow that for long. There's always a trend of the first sub event having the highest points because that's also when the scaling is lowest.
  • Phantron wrote:
    I don't think the rubberbanding has changed.

Its easy enough to work out the number to increase the rubber band by one given two nodes and knowing what the base values are. You do not even have to know the leaders score is. I worked it out for the first sub and it was around 1250. I also did the same calculation just at the end of the first refresh for the second sub and its now around 2750. (Hence the reason for my question after the first sub finished if everyone had 94 and 304 for the first two nodes as I needed know the base value which I have also confirmed via another method now)

I know the bracket leader was over 14K so taking that as a starting point and assuming a 1250 + 1250 rubber band you would have overtaken the leader after doing 48 of the 50 missions in the last refresh. Doing all 50 missions would have netted you 14030 points. If you ground all nodes at 50 points and above you have finished 440 points back and for nodes at 100 points and above 1400 points back.

The old system was 1000 + 1000 meaning the cross over point was at 33 of the 50 nodes.
  • atomzed
    atomzed Posts: 1,753 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm a bit confused. Does that means that in this sub, it's no longer enough to rely on rubberbanding to catch up?

My nodes are around 300+ points and I'm not likely to catch up with the leaders. I'm not even trying, but just want to be in a good position at the end of the pve.
  • atomzed wrote:
    I'm a bit confused. Does that means that in this sub, it's no longer enough to rely on rubberbanding to catch up?

My nodes are around 300+ points and I'm not likely to catch up with the leaders. I'm not even trying, but just want to be in a good position at the end of the pve.

For the top 100 or so placement range you should basically assume you need to match the effort of whatever guy you're trying to catch did to get there. Keep in mind that to get to top 100 is about the same as getting to top 20 back when sub bracket size is 200 (they're now 1000). That doesn't impact your overall strategy, but reality kicks in sooner in this model, whereas before it might take you longer to realize that finishing top 20 out of 200 is about the same as top 100 out of 1000 in the overall bracket.
  • CrawHammerfist
    CrawHammerfist Posts: 16 Just Dropped In
    I am not a little bit confused. I am completely confused. I read the pve guide and have no idea how to figure the base points of a node or what the refresh for a node is. Are the "rewards available" the stack size? For example, in the current LA event (I'm guessing this is what a "sub-event" is) I played the five nodes that I could do without C Daken. They all say 4 rewards. Is the stack size 4? Is there any reason not to immediately try and clear them again? Will I be better off waiting for the refresh to get 100% points again or will I not have scaled enough to make a difference? I have no levelled ** characters of note. I have a maxed * team. I figure I'd do well to make top 200 at best. Realistic?
  • I am not a little bit confused. I am completely confused. I read the pve guide and have no idea how to figure the base points of a node or what the refresh for a node is. Are the "rewards available" the stack size? For example, in the current LA event (I'm guessing this is what a "sub-event" is) I played the five nodes that I could do without C Daken. They all say 4 rewards. Is the stack size 4? Is there any reason not to immediately try and clear them again? Will I be better off waiting for the refresh to get 100% points again or will I not have scaled enough to make a difference? I have no levelled ** characters of note. I have a maxed * team. I figure I'd do well to make top 200 at best. Realistic?

Assuming there is no rubberbanding, all the missions have a stack size of 5 for a very long time, so let's say mission X has 200 base points. You'd see the following point values:

200/160/120/80/40/1

That is, there are 5 stacks of points that are not 1 (and it's always 1 after that). Of course, due to rubberbanding, you won't see such nice numbers because your rubberband modifier changes as you do missions, so it's likely to look something like 500/320/195/110/45.

In general I prefer to do missions earlier because if they're easy just hit the high point nodes twice or so to keep pace without messing up scaling. If they're hard enough to kill you, dying fixes scaling, so you might as well start dying earlier.
  • CrawHammerfist
    CrawHammerfist Posts: 16 Just Dropped In
    Phantron wrote:
    so you might as well start dying earlier.

A mantra to live by!
  • Unknown
    edited May 2014
    Also, keep in mind that rubberbanding only helps players catch up if the players on top of the leaderboard are playing inefficiently. Right now, this is not occurring. Although with double subs, playing both effectively on limited health packs should start causing inefficient play from the top of the leaderboard.

As long as the top of the leaderboard is running perfect clears, rubberbanding won't let a player catch up with them completely and the leaders will always outpace the pack. Through China, there are still plenty of people perfect clearing the nodes who do not know any better.

Besides, when the final 36-48 hours are played on the parent event against the global main bracket leader for rubberbanding, placement in the subs isn't really going to matter at all. All that will matter is how well you play the last set of pins and if you can perfect clear (or come close to perfect clearing) these pins in the last 12 hours of the event.
  • rkd80
    Thanks Phantron, that was actually the most clear explanation to date.
  • Lyrian wrote:
    Also, keep in mind that rubberbanding only helps players catch up if the players on top of the leaderboard are playing inefficiently. Right now, this is not occurring. Although with double subs, playing both effectively on limited health packs should start causing inefficient play from the top of the leaderboard.

As long as the top of the leaderboard is running perfect clears, rubberbanding won't let a player catch up with them completely and the leaders will always outpace the pack. Through China, there are still plenty of people perfect clearing the nodes who do not know any better.

Besides, when the final 36-48 hours are played on the parent event against the global main bracket leader for rubberbanding, placement in the subs isn't really going to matter at all. All that will matter is how well you play the last set of pins and if you can perfect clear (or come close to perfect clearing) these pins in the last 12 hours of the event.

I wouldn't bet on final round being off overall leader. Here's a history of events that had more than one event (anything with only one event, even a long event like Heroic Juggernaut, obviously can only rubberband off the main bracket):

Rubberband from main leader: Thick as Thieves, Heroic Oscorp
    Rubberband from sub leader: Simultaor Basic, The Hunt, the event with Magneto (forgot the name).
    Other: The Hulk (it's probably meant to rubberband from main leader but the scoring simply didn't work out).

I certainly wouldn't bet on having a final main bracket rubberbanding to bail me out if I'm behind, because that's not the norm for these events.
  • ****. I wish you could just play events and win rewards without worrying about all this ****. This leaderboard stuff really saps the fun out of playing. Why are they stingy with giving out rewards and covers oh wait whalegame.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    So I haven't played this game since about this time yesrurday...unless PvP counts, in which case it was 3am. It's been more than 12 hours, and the nodes will give me about 100-200 points. Meanwhile the guy in first place has 4000.

So err...did they turn rubberbanding off completely? Because I'm not going to sit here and grind out 60 nodes per sub event to get up to that guy.
  • So I haven't played this game since about this time yesrurday...unless PvP counts, in which case it was 3am. It's been more than 12 hours, and the nodes will give me about 100-200 points. Meanwhile the guy in first place has 4000.

So err...did they turn rubberbanding off completely? Because I'm not going to sit here and grind out 60 nodes per sub event to get up to that guy.

There is no rubberbanding for LA/Wakanda.
  • mags1587
    mags1587 Posts: 1,020 Chairperson of the Boards
    There's no rubberbanding but there is scaling. There's something very wrong with that.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    Phantron wrote:
    So I haven't played this game since about this time yesrurday...unless PvP counts, in which case it was 3am. It's been more than 12 hours, and the nodes will give me about 100-200 points. Meanwhile the guy in first place has 4000.

Oh. So clearly I picked a bad day to go to work, huh? Great idea putting the round without any rubber banding during a business day so I'd end up losing out massively.
    Dude in first place had 4600 when I came on, and I had 800. And the best node was for 270 and the enemies were level 160. What, I'm meant to grind all these nodes to gain 3800 points? Not going to happen. This has really put me off playing this event now...
  • Phantron wrote:

Oh. So clearly I picked a bad day to go to work, huh? Great idea putting the round without any rubber banding during a business day so I'd end up losing out massively.
    Dude in first place had 4600 when I came on, and I had 800. And the best node was for 270 and the enemies were level 160. What, I'm meant to grind all these nodes to gain 3800 points? Not going to happen. This has really put me off playing this event now...

What do you think happens to the scaling of the guy with 4600 points?

Scaling is a resource and if the time is right, you should use it. I figured this out pretty early and then worked out the math and decided it'd be crazy talk to try to keep up with the guys with 4600, so I simply didn't do the nodes that I could have. Hopefully the guys who ruin their scaling will fall behind on the next round, but if not, kudos for them for making a bold gamble. History suggests that such gamble won't pay off anyway.
  • Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    Phantron wrote:
    Phantron wrote:

What do you think happens to the scaling of the guy with 4600 points?

Scaling is a resource and if the time is right, you should use it. I figured this out pretty early and then worked out the math and decided it'd be crazy talk to try to keep up with the guys with 4600, so I simply didn't do the nodes that I could have. Hopefully the guys who ruin their scaling will fall behind on the next round, but if not, kudos for them for making a bold gamble. History suggests that such gamble won't pay off anyway.
    Your tolerance for scaling is a lot higher than most people's.

Personally, BP is at 'normal' levels and already caused a couple wipes, even almost wiping me during a try with cmags/lazythor
  • Spoit wrote:
    Your tolerance for scaling is a lot higher than most people's.

Personally, BP is at 'normal' levels and already caused a couple wipes, even almost wiping me during a try with cmags/lazythor

BP is more of a quantity over quality. Some of these games he will pick up 12 black right away and wipe the floor with you, but most games he won't because the AI doesn't care about prioritizing colors. I've beaten with all kinds of random guys I sent out to die on purpose (ironically, I had to lose those fights on purpose even when I could've easily won).

I found Hawkeye to be much harder despite being lower level because you have to get through all the goons first before you can even hurt him. BP has a lot of HP, but it's still less than Hawkeye + 2 goons put together. Hulk can usually get you an easy win at the cost of his life against those ultra high level guys too.