New Kaya

Options
starfall
starfall Posts: 1,727 Chairperson of the Boards
What's the verdict on new Kaya! Is she worth getting now?

Before y'all tell me that "YOU wouldn't like her because she's not blue!", let me say I *have* all the blue PWs, I have crystals to burn because I can obtain all of M20 with STD boosters, and I do like to play nonblues in weekday events with low prizes: So I've been known to play PWs like Elspeth, Angrath, Arlinn, N4....

Comments

• Quantius
    Quantius Posts: 228 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I previously stated she wasn't worth it, and I bought her anyway. I think she has a lot of cards that support her right now. Lich, Glimpse, surveil stuff. And I'm finding that she's good, but in a narrow way. Just about every game goes: drop a couple creatures and fill GY's as much as possible, then hit her A3 when your opponent is around 50ish HP and end the game.

She's been very consistent in doing that for me. It feels like a game can't really "get away" from you where you're doing fine and then all of a sudden you get wiped and can't close out, because you've got a button that says, "we're done here."
  • Stormcrow
    Stormcrow Posts: 462 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Yeah, Quantius nails it. She's really consistent. She's got enough life gain and control that it's hard to burn her down fast, and at a certain point once the graveyards have filled up a bit you just hit the "Win Now" button.

Haven't had the opportunity to play her against a huge-health-pool PvE boss where you might fire off her ultimate several times but I expect her to be very reliable in that sort of situation as well.
  • wereotter
    wereotter Posts: 2,064 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    The fact that she no longer shuffles the cards back to libraries (I think they couldn't fix that bug) means her 3rd ability is now actually good, and not too expensive. She's definitely worth another look.
  • FindingHeart8
    FindingHeart8 Posts: 2,730 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    She's still not so great, but probably not bad for a new player
  • Narcoticsagent
    Narcoticsagent Posts: 203 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I think shes pretty reasonable now. Adding the spirits on her second ability really helps on utility. I will now actually be playing her on occasion where before she was just gathering dust.
  • Aeroplane
    Aeroplane Posts: 314 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Kaya's first ability basically shuts down Lil4 and Angrath's 3rd ability making them unplayable. Throw in Grafdigger's Cage, a cheap support, and you have negated 2 PWs from the field. I don't know any other ability or support that throws PWs to the curb in such a manner. Karn, Sarkhan ,Kiora, Saheeli ,and other PWs abilities are basically shut down by the Cage. It'll be the most used card in decks for such a cheap mana cost.
  • Bil
    Bil Posts: 831 Critical Contributor
    Options
    The recent update convinced me to purchase her (the old version looked very underwhelming). 

I'd say she is really worth it because her skills synergize with a lot of cards (because of life gain, graveyard filling, creature spawning, there's always something useful to get out of her skills). Not to mention her ultimate, which is extremely powerful if you build around it.

She's overall much more versatile than sorin, so she's definitely the best option for black/white.
  • Azerack
    Azerack Posts: 501 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I've been playing new Kaya in Standard TG with some angels and she's actually stood up to some Brokhan decks among others.

And once that T1 is out there and you start killing/exiling critters, once you get to using her T3 I've actually racked up some good damage for a round.

Considering I bought her when she was old-school and barely ever used her, I'm pretty sure I would have her as "second string" for events, now.
  • greenmeanie
    greenmeanie Posts: 123 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Ok since Kaya is going to be in the Halloween event.  I started to level her up.  After reading earlier post , what are some other cards that work well with her.
  • Azerack
    edited October 2019
    Options
    Get her T1 support out asap, then focus on killing or exiling any critters that come out.
    So Isolate and Deathsprout are both useful as one already exiles (and takes care of a rather annoying goblin as well as some other gone-and-back-again types) and the other gets you a land out in play, and you want at least one if not two of those.

I like to use Emergency Powers as it discards the opponents hand AND then puts it in Exile, so if the opponent has a full hand that's more damage "in the bank" and you get the heal/damage for any of those cards that were creatures.

And, of course, in the "better to have it and not need it" section, if you've been lucky or keeping up with Mr. Fibbles, you have Kaya's "the hell yer' gonna be immune to my spells" vanguard card. Stop certain Brokhan decks from doing more than immediate damage with that out. :smile:

Hope that helps. 
    TL;DR - A couple lands, get your T1 out, then discard and/or kill off cards in their hand while you build up for T3. (On that note, if you have it, Inf. Obliteration could be fun, too. )

• greenmeanie
    greenmeanie Posts: 123 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Azerack said:
    Get her T1 support out asap, then focus on killing or exiling anyone critters that come out.
    So Isolate and Deathsprout are both useful as one already exiles (and takes care of a rather annoying goblin as well as some other gone-and-back-again types) and the other gets you a land out in play, and you want at least one if not two of those.

I like to use Emergency Powers as it discards the opponents hand AND then puts it in Exile, so if the opponent has a full hand that's more damage "in the bank" and you get the heal/damage for any of those cards that were creatures.

And, of course, in the "better to have it and not need it" section, if you've been lucky or keeping up with Mr. Fibbles, you have Kaya's "the hell yer' gonna be immune to my spells" vanguard card. Stop certain Brokhan decks from doing more than immediate damage with that out. :smile:

Hope that helps. 
    TL;DR - A couple lands, get your T1 out, then discard and/or kill off cards in their hand while you build up for T3. (On that note, if you have it, Inf. Obliteration could be fun, too. )

Thanks for the suggestions.  I should have the cards you mentioned.
  • Azerack
    Options
    Happy hunting.  ;)
  • Gunmix25
    Gunmix25 Posts: 1,434 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Bil said:
    The recent update convinced me to purchase her (the old version looked very underwhelming). 

I'd say she is really worth it because her skills synergize with a lot of cards (because of life gain, graveyard filling, creature spawning, there's always something useful to get out of her skills). Not to mention her ultimate, which is extremely powerful if you build around it.

She's overall much more versatile than sorin, so she's definitely the best option for black/white.
    having the pleasure of trying her again ( got her old version initially and found her to be a little lack luster ) She was fun to use and easier to build for. her third loyalty is meaner than cat wee … if playing against her you need to be quick else she may take some rather good sized chunks out of you. Had a few AI encounters I got too cocky with and she almost made me call her mommy. ;)
  • Mburn7
    Mburn7 Posts: 3,427 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    You know I've gotta say:  New Kaya is solid.  I got her for Trick or Treating and to see how she runs, and I have been pretty impressed so far.

Her ult is regularly dealing 30+ damage, with it often hitting as high as 100 in longer games.
    It is a little annoying sometimes how it exiles your graveyard too, though, since I do like to play with my yard a bit with those kinds of decks.

I don't think she's some powerhouse walker, though.  It takes a long time and a lot of setup to really abuse her, so unless Eldraine comes with mill more literally ported over (since there is a good amount of black/blue mill things to use) she won't be really crazy to face.