Awakened Inferno - Left, Right, ...Bottom??

Options
2»

Comments

• Narcoticsagent
    Narcoticsagent Posts: 203 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I am a fan of the premade deck objective. I thought it was a lot if fun and I have dozens more decks to try in the future runs of the event. I used Huatli 2 master deck this time and had no problems winning.
  • Firinmahlazer
    Firinmahlazer Posts: 417 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I tried with the Tezz 3 master deck and got steamrolled by Bolas 1. 

Yay how fun.
  • Boogeyman
    Boogeyman Posts: 223 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I tried with the Tezz 3 master deck and got steamrolled by Bolas 1. 

Yay how fun.
    IKR, ha, so much fun to use a predefined deck.  I feel like it's their fault for me losing haha!
  • SolRing
    SolRing Posts: 21 Just Dropped In
    Options
    I'm plat and have several PWs and sizable collection.

Not a single expert or master deck unlocked. Many of my walkers have none.
  • Azerack
    Azerack Posts: 501 Critical Contributor
    Options
    SolRing said:
    I'm plat and have several PWs and sizable collection.

Not a single expert or master deck unlocked. Many of my walkers have none.
    It's tricky depending on when you started playing, regardless of being Plat or not. 
    Playing for nigh 4 years, I acquired a lot of the cards through jewels and crafting and then many later were the result of non-dupe packs from crazy events, odd sales or VIP.

It's basically you TRY to get the decks finished or it's just luck or you're trying to complete your sets.

Up until this event, however, nobody has ever had a need to worry about finishing said decks unless they wanted the rune/crystal/jewel awards for completing them. 

-- Again, another reason why I suppose they did not have ranking for this event. 
  • greenmeanie
    greenmeanie Posts: 123 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I am a fan of the premade deck objective. I thought it was a lot if fun and I have dozens more decks to try in the future runs of the event. I used Huatli 2 master deck this time and had no problems winning.
    I agree. I used Garruks Master Deck and won both times.  What I did notice was it limits your pws.  It takes out all the legacy pre builds.  
  • Mburn7
    Mburn7 Posts: 3,427 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    starfall said:
    Mburn7 said:
    mrixl2520 said:
    "Top Node, 3rd Objective: Win with a beninner, Expert, or Master deck"

Barf Barf Barf!
    I actually love this.  Everybody gets to use garbage decks, and there's no reason not to (since it doesn't require any deckbuilding thought at all to do).
    Also while I'm here talking about objectives: these objectives that force you to play with one of FOUR creature types are rather dull, I think... they may seem more complex to the designer because they contain more words, but they are less complex to the deck builder because we have so many more options. Perhaps newbies find objectives with a single difficult to obtain creature type too hard to achieve, but four is too many.

Perhaps you could change the number of creature types available so that it becomes less depending on the players' tier, so platinum players have only a single creature type to use, but bronze players get a wider choice? (INB4: "No human being is capable of such a difficult coding task" or "The shadowy operative from WOTC demands the objectives be like that and Oktagon must obey!")
    I think its because they are using relatively obscure creature types (Monk?  Really?) that won't work with just one.

I do really like that idea to have different objectives for each tier with the plats getting the hardest (since that alleviates the usual "but what about the noobs" issue).  Will we ever see that though?  Probably not!
  • HomeRn
    HomeRn Posts: 329 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    starfall said:
    Mburn7 said:
    starfall said:
    Mburn7 said:
    mrixl2520 said:
    "Top Node, 3rd Objective: Win with a beninner, Expert, or Master deck"

Barf Barf Barf!
    I actually love this.  Everybody gets to use garbage decks, and there's no reason not to (since it doesn't require any deckbuilding thought at all to do).
    Also while I'm here talking about objectives: these objectives that force you to play with one of FOUR creature types are rather dull, I think... they may seem more complex to the designer because they contain more words, but they are less complex to the deck builder because we have so many more options. Perhaps newbies find objectives with a single difficult to obtain creature type too hard to achieve, but four is too many.

Perhaps you could change the number of creature types available so that it becomes less depending on the players' tier, so platinum players have only a single creature type to use, but bronze players get a wider choice? (INB4: "No human being is capable of such a difficult coding task" or "The shadowy operative from WOTC demands the objectives be like that and Oktagon must obey!")
    I think its because they are using relatively obscure creature types (Monk?  Really?) that won't work with just one.
    Yeah but that excuse doesn't work with RaW, does it. Plenty of sets of 4 common creature types in those events.

And what's the point of even putting Monk if you're going to use common creature types like Thopter that we all already know how to build decks around anyway? Someone once said Thopter Spy Network is quite good, and there are, what, three different (blue) Planeswalkers who produce Thopters...
    Yeah, probably thopters are only there for Chandra's parents...

Had a fun time with this event.  Decided to challenge myself and use some more "difficult" PWs for this event (forcing myself to use only RED PWs).  Namely Domri for the "bottom" node with the Expert deck - 6 loyalty ability charges rather quickly... but have to work fast so that I didn't burn opponent down before third activation.  Did have to resort to using Bolas 2 for my favorite wizard deck for the 3 power or less objective, which also met the spell target as well.
  • Stormcrow
    Stormcrow Posts: 462 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I hesitate to reveal my secrets, but since there's no rankings to worry about:

• Vraska 2's Master deck has Priest of the Blood Rite and Status/Statue, and really that's about all you need to beat most other pre-made decks. Plus her abilities are dirt cheap so they're easy to activate. I've easily beaten two Tamiyo decks with it and very nearly beat a Bolas 1 that wasn't running a pre-made deck (got it down to 13 life before the tide of zombie tokens overwhelmed me).
    • If you get annoyed by the token spam on the "play lots of spells" node, Mistcaller turns all those elemental tokens - on both sides - into card draw for you. And it has 3 power.
    I think the pre-made deck objective is a neat one, actually, but considering the size of the handicap it represents it feels like it should be worth more, so as to discourage people from just ignoring it. Also some easier way to find the (relatively few) Standard-legal pre-made decks would be nice.
  • Mburn7
    Mburn7 Posts: 3,427 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Stormcrow said:
    I hesitate to reveal my secrets, but since there's no rankings to worry about:

• Vraska 2's Master deck has Priest of the Blood Rite and Status/Statue, and really that's about all you need to beat most other pre-made decks. Plus her abilities are dirt cheap so they're easy to activate. I've easily beaten two Tamiyo decks with it and very nearly beat a Bolas 1 that wasn't running a pre-made deck (got it down to 13 life before the tide of zombie tokens overwhelmed me).
    • If you get annoyed by the token spam on the "play lots of spells" node, Mistcaller turns all those elemental tokens - on both sides - into card draw for you. And it has 3 power.
    I think the pre-made deck objective is a neat one, actually, but considering the size of the handicap it represents it feels like it should be worth more, so as to discourage people from just ignoring it. Also some easier way to find the (relatively few) Standard-legal pre-made decks would be nice.
    Nice strategy!  I'm using Huatli Green's Master deck (fun fact, it is much better than her expert deck), since she can spam abilities with the best of them and Zetalpa is a great wall.

I have another idea, why not make ALL pre-made decks legal for this node only.  So people can play legacy decks, but only premade ones (since they are kind of all bad anyway)