1240 days in, I'm out.

PartyOfFore
PartyOfFore Posts: 8 Just Dropped In
I'm not a frequent poster on the forums, not a "whale", nor a 4* player.  I played casually for 1240 days with some breaks in between.  This break is different.  This time it feels like I'm done for good.  I wanted to post this not as a parting shot but as information to the makers of a game that I have enjoyed for over 4 years.  

I wan't a total F2P player.  My couple hundred dollars over the years is a drop in the ocean of whales. Still, I did not simply use the resources required to build and maintain this game without providing any compensation, so I hope my words have some value. 

Playing up through almost champing every 3* and champing 3 4* was more fun than work. Being stuck at this stage for 8 months is no longer fun and mostly work.  My hope up to this point was that the game would allow for more selective rewards.  I love Taskmaster and Moon Knight as Marvel characters and I wished the game would let me accumulate characters of my choice rather than an ever growing pool of random ones.  

I have read threads about dilution, and to be brief that is the reason I'm done.  At my rate of play I am fighting a losing battle that I will never progress through unless I give up more of my time, money or both than I am willing to give to a mobile game.   

My first 4* cover was a RNG pull of Thing at about day 10.  At day 1240 he stands at 8 covers.  

Good luck to those who still play.  Maybe I'll check back in 6 months to see if dilution has been resolved. 

Comments

• DyingLegend
    DyingLegend Posts: 1,203 Chairperson of the Boards
    It will never be resolved, Devs don't care, Dilution makes them more money as people buy more packs etc.... 
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 10,101 Chairperson of the Boards
    I feel your pain. I am day 1359 and am struggling. Anniversary seems a bit boring. Maybe something might kick in. I don't care about Cho so am skipping Cosmic Chaos. Let's see.
  • Neuromancer
    Neuromancer Posts: 203 Tile Toppler
    edited October 2019
    I don't care much about Cho either, but I'm in Cosmic Chaos for the CP. I just spent my hoard in the last 5* store, and was able to complete Okoye (with an additional 8 covers saved for champ). She will be my first 5* champ, but I'm not eager to jump up into the tier, so I'm leveling her with my 4*s. I almost finished Thanos as well, he just needs two last covers (1 + a champ cover). Hoarding CP was the way to go, then waiting for the right store. Okoye and Thanos were each at 8 covers when the store dropped. I'd saved up exactly 3500 CP, and I spent a little over 3000. I'm back up to 575, and eyeing the Fan Favorites.

Saving up that CP didn't seem tedious. Took around 5 months. I played at my own pace, but I must admit it's still pretty time consuming. I rarely placed higher than top 50 or 100 in any Story or Versus event. I can count on one finger the number of times I placed top 10 in the past year, and I wasn't even trying, only stumbled into the right time slot. Getting into an active Alliance that jived with my pace made a huge difference. Made the game feel less like work.

When the game seems like work, it's definitely time to take a break.

I also managed to save up and spend over 100 LL tokens during this time as well, and what really surprised me was how little my 4* roster seemed affected by the 200+ covers that landed in my collection after all was said and done.
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,939 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm not a frequent poster on the forums, not a "whale", nor a 4* player.  I played casually for 1240 days with some breaks in between.  This break is different.  This time it feels like I'm done for good.  I wanted to post this not as a parting shot but as information to the makers of a game that I have enjoyed for over 4 years.  

I wan't a total F2P player.  My couple hundred dollars over the years is a drop in the ocean of whales. Still, I did not simply use the resources required to build and maintain this game without providing any compensation, so I hope my words have some value. 

Playing up through almost champing every 3* and champing 3 4* was more fun than work. Being stuck at this stage for 8 months is no longer fun and mostly work.  My hope up to this point was that the game would allow for more selective rewards.  I love Taskmaster and Moon Knight as Marvel characters and I wished the game would let me accumulate characters of my choice rather than an ever growing pool of random ones.  

I have read threads about dilution, and to be brief that is the reason I'm done.  At my rate of play I am fighting a losing battle that I will never progress through unless I give up more of my time, money or both than I am willing to give to a mobile game.   

My first 4* cover was a RNG pull of Thing at about day 10.  At day 1240 he stands at 8 covers.  

Good luck to those who still play.  Maybe I'll check back in 6 months to see if dilution has been resolved. 
    Thanks so much for sharing!

The sad reality is that for a 5* player it only gets worse.  The new 4* released have much better/cooler mechanics usually, but are relegated to reward mills.  So those of us who can actually cover them in a reasonable amount of time, don't use them.  The exception of course is the few well-designed characters that play up well (Chavez, Sabertooth, etc.), or the ones that are flat out broken against 5* teams that people leave on defense (Worthy Cap, Bishop).

Then the only way to cover a non-latest 5 is to try Classics where dilution is just as problematic (maybe more?), wait for them to be featured so you can pay a high amount of CP for one cover, hope for a 5* bonus hero (some long time players have never gotten ONE), HOPE they get a feeder and bonus that one and only one 4* (forsaking all others), or hoard and hoard in hopes of a CP store that may never come.  It's really bad. 

Enjoy your retirement! I really hope they fix dilution in both tiers, but I would not hold out hope given recent trends (LESS pop up stores, LESS frequent feeders, the Professor $ fiasco).  They just seem really out of touch.
  • BearVenger
    BearVenger Posts: 453 Mover and Shaker
    edited October 2019
    Thanks for starting this, PartyofFore.

I'm at day 1750-ish, and I'm beginning to see the end of the road.

If folks have seen me in the game, you notice that I have a champed 4* roster and a lot of underlevelled 5*s that I don't use unless required. I felt like I couldn't play the 5* versus game against better-resourced opponents, and I never made the jump. I got t25 placement on SCL9 seasons and Stories with my 4* roster (who would become instantly irrelevant if I jumped to 5*), and that was fine with me. Still, I went through more money than I wanted to, including a couple of rage spends, to get Yet Another 4* champed.

(FWIW, the days of Peak Kitty-Grocket was the closest I got to dumping my 9.5M ISO into 5*s and giving everyone what-for. But I knew that my champ+a handful of extra cover 5*s would not last long in the deepest end of the pool.)

I noticed that the longer I was away from MPQ, the harder it was to get back into it. I started a new job in late 2018 and dialed back my play enough that I couldn't champ a new 4* release. I hotshotted Story and Versus events, just to score placement prizes. I got a new phone in July, and I installed MPQ but never signed in, so I wouldn't be tempted to play at work. Some days, work and RL just conspired to keep me from picking up my old phone to play MPQ on home WiFi. Those days just got more and more common. I got to the point where I had to ask myself if I had played this series' DPD's Crash of the TItans or not.

And then 4* Human Torch came out. This was the first SHIELD Training event where I didn't have enough required covers (Mysterio) to get the Jimbo cover. At that point, I shrugged and decided the game didn't need me anymore.

I've missed out on Jimbo, Steve the Worthy, and Charle5. I really don't want to play catch-up, I don't want to spend more money, and I don't really want to spend an hour a day, every day, on a mobile game. I feel like I won because I don't have the urge to play. I'm satisfied.

But one thing I have zero regrets about is my alliance family. Even though the roster comes and goes, I have had such a fun ride with the Battlecats, current and alumni. A group of men and women from multiple countries and personalities who've encouraged me when I was jobless; who are hardcore players, but casual-friendly; who have resources, but are F2P-friendly; who steer people into teams based on their strengths and preferences; who never pressure for time or money, who are great dudes outside the game.

In all their incarnations, BattleCats have been the greatest online friends I've had, and if you're looking for an alliance, you would do well to consider them.
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    Truly sad, and a reflection of a lot of other players. And in 5 land is probably even worse. I still have my 11 cover Dr.Doom exactly the same as when he abandoned Latest, with no feeder (seriously, **** Devs!) and no option of getting a cover for him other than a lucky bonus cover or another store for him. Annoying, super annoying.

Not having the option of covering a particular char is the most stupid thing. You can’t even buy him!

I am hoarding now for Xavier, if I dont get him or things dont change by then (two months?) I will probably stop too.
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Polares said:

I am hoarding now for Xavier, if I dont get him or things dont change by then (two months?) I will probably stop too.
    Oh for GOD'S SAKE.
    YOU are never going to quit, and we all know it.
    They'll have to scrape your dead player file off the server when they finally turn it off, because you'll keep playing even after your fiftieth ultimatum.

How many times is that that you've threatened to quit now?
    I think I lost track after the sixth or seventh time.