So long and thanks for all the fish

therightwaye
therightwaye Posts: 459 Mover and Shaker
And I'm done. I have to say, this game has been a large part of my life. And it took a large part of my life away from me. It's unfathomable to look back and think of what more I could have done if I wouldn't have been so focused on competing for these digital goods. 

Hours a day should offer more. Instead it took more than I was reasonably able to give, if I considered it deeply. 

Thanks for the time, but it's time I move on. 
Tagged:

Comments

• shardwick
    shardwick Posts: 2,121 Chairperson of the Boards
    You couldn't wait like three more weeks? Get your double iso and then quit after Anniversary. That'll put you at a little before Halloween. Enjoy the holidays and then come back in January. Also, it'd be a huge quality of life upgrade if they got rid of time slices.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    It won't change anything for him. He can't play according to time slices or is tired of playing according to time slices.

I'm curious how many of those pushing for non-timed PvEs thinks that the devs will shift the juicy top placement rewards into progression rewards withour any tradeoff. It's virtually impossible. Since that's the case, it's as good as playing at your own time (non-timed events) for those full progression rewards.
  • shardwick
    shardwick Posts: 2,121 Chairperson of the Boards
    Who's talking about moving them into progression? They could do that with adding those after the current final amount of cp but getting rid of time slices doesn't automatically mean going to progression only. Though with more and more people retiring from the game all the time, ahem, and them always asking in surveys about non-competitive events they better do something soon.

And if someone is burned out and wants to quit then I have no issues with that I just think it's weird to quit right before Anniversary.
  • ursopro
    ursopro Posts: 334 Mover and Shaker
    shardwick said:
    And if someone is burned out and wants to quit then I have no issues with that I just think it's weird to quit right before Anniversary.
    I seriously doubt double iso and some new meme 4* anniversary character is gonna change how he feels about the game at this point.
  • CharlieCroker
    CharlieCroker Posts: 254 Mover and Shaker
    Good luck to the OP who is a long time 5* tier player (who I once shared an alliance with) and likely has a huge surplus of iso.  And in any case, what's the use of double iso if you're quitting the game anyway...

Leaving aside the question of what he could've done with all the time spent in game (as you could say this for most games) the key part of the post for me is that for the time a lot of us invest in the game, progress is slow and incremental at best.  That's fine when you find the gameplay fun and entertaining, but less so when the game starts to feel like a grind or a second job.
  • WEBGAS
    WEBGAS Posts: 474 Mover and Shaker
    It won't change anything for him. He can't play according to time slices or is tired of playing according to time slices.

I'm curious how many of those pushing for non-timed PvEs thinks that the devs will shift the juicy top placement rewards into progression rewards withour any tradeoff. It's virtually impossible. Since that's the case, it's as good as playing at your own time (non-timed events) for those full progression rewards.
    I've been asking for the same things since last year (and I am not alone), but it seems that Devs won't change a thing. The game is on auto-pilot and the time requested each day is not worth the poor rewards you get.
    So if a player has the strenght to decide to quit for good, I can only say : Chapeau!
    Enjoy your free time ....maybe I will follow your instance, sooner than later  ;)
  • Vengeance
    Vengeance Posts: 16 Just Dropped In
    Best of luck.  Enjoy your retirement.
  • fight4thedream
    fight4thedream GLOBAL_MODERATORS Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
    Take care @therightwaye. Wishing you all the best. 
  • Steve111
    Steve111 Posts: 160 Tile Toppler
    Sorry to see you go TRW, all the best in your non MPQ life
  • Tony_Foot
    Tony_Foot Posts: 1,790 Chairperson of the Boards
    I give it a week, which is about 6 days longer than cactus jack managed. Once he sees all the fun we are having in the anniversary drowning in rewards he will come crawling back.
  • pheregas
    pheregas Posts: 1,721 Chairperson of the Boards
    shardwick said:
    You couldn't wait like three more weeks? Get your double iso and then quit after Anniversary. That'll put you at a little before Halloween. Enjoy the holidays and then come back in January. Also, it'd be a huge quality of life upgrade if they got rid of time slices.
    Remember that double-iso does nothing to console those of us post iso.  Not saying it shouldn't be done as most people are not, but it does kinda leave a slightly bad taste in your mouth.
  • Cactus_Jack_87
    Cactus_Jack_87 Posts: 210 Tile Toppler
    Tony_Foot said:
    I give it a week, which is about 6 days longer than cactus jack managed. Once he sees all the fun we are having in the anniversary drowning in rewards he will come crawling back.
    So long, Rightwaye, guess we'll see you back in a week!
  • ZootSax
    ZootSax Posts: 1,819 Chairperson of the Boards
    Best of luck and enjoy what comes next.

...and, just because:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bG6b3V2MNxQ

• jp1
    jp1 Posts: 1,081 Chairperson of the Boards
    I’m not there yet myself, but I totally get it. I never understand why anyone would discourage someone from leaving a game that isn’t bringing them joy. 

It’s a game. The moment it becomes more work than fun, walk away and find something that makes you happy.

Regret for the time you spent is kind of sad. If anything that means you stayed too long. Anyway, I wish you the best going forward. Enjoy your newly found free time. :)
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,729 Chairperson of the Boards
    Best of luck, buddy!  Stick to your guns.  Enjoy the freedom, and sleep, and lack of schedule conflict where you choose between chasing pictures of super heroes or spending time with the people that matter to you.

I promise:  you can't be disappointed by the Anniversary if you're not playing.
  • skittledaddy
    skittledaddy Posts: 984 Critical Contributor
    edited September 2019
    To my fellow Minnesotan, I wish you a long, heartfelt Minnesota goodbye

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdLPJfbLNOM 
    (Sorry, I don't know how to embed YouTube videos)

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Minnesota%20Goodbye
    https://www.minnesotamonthly.com/lifestyle/definition-minnesota-goodbye/

• ErikPeter
    ErikPeter Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    Peace out, bud. You were hardcore. I didn't champ a 5 by the time you champed all of them. 

I will see you around, but I wonder what we'll talk now about besides speculating MPQ? :)
  • killahKlown
    killahKlown Posts: 583 Critical Contributor

hours a day?  yikes

You don't have the ability to just pull back some?  No rule says you have to play every event.  Or that you have to play both pvp AND pve.  That's a self-imposed requirement.

Just go casual.  It's not like you're very competitive in PVP anyways.

• wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,758 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited September 2019
    Fairer of all good luck to the OP enjoy other games and your free time away from MPQ.

for the dev’s I will say this.  One of the big reasons players end up to retire and drop the game is a lack of a changing Meta.  I know it is easy to say use all your characters but when one team is just faster, stronger, saves health packs it becomes hard to use any other team.  The 5* meta has been stale to me for a while.  You have Thor/Okoye and gritty teams.  One is offensive one is defensive for PVP and strong for PVE.  There have been some really good characters released recently but none have been meta changing.  There have been little to no 5* balance changes (buffs or nerds) since Gambit got nerfed.  

I am hoping there is a meta changing buff or new or new character soon otherwise I fear more post like this one will creep up.