Coalition card sharing

Options
Is there a way that coalition members could trade cards with other members? Even if it’s just to share commons and uncommons, it would allow new players to catch up with veterans a bit, especially with Legacy cards.
If we could make it so one member could request the use of another’s card, maybe paying runes to access cards for a short period of time, say for an event, it would give newer players a better chance to play against stronger decks or stronger tiers of PvE events. 
It’s just a thought, but it would make being in a coalition a little more beneficial for newcomers, and collecting Legacy cards a little less daunting, since there will be 13 sets in Legacy, with no way to choose which set you’d like to pull from. Besides, trading cards with friends was one of the things that MtG a social game.

Comments

• Lossibob
    Lossibob Posts: 27 Just Dropped In
    edited October 2019
    Options
    I think some sort of trade/gift addition to the coalition would be useful - both to help new players and to foster a stronger coalition spirit.

I'm currently sitting on over 120,000 unwanted runes and about 7-800 unwanted crystals, which I'm certain would be a lot more useful to other coalition members than they are to me.
  • Zzyzzx
    Zzyzzx Posts: 248 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I second the idea of gifting resources and/or cards.
    I won't even need anything in return, I can just craft the card again =)
  • Lossibob
    Options
    Zzyzzx said:
    That's exactly how I feel.
  • Abracadavers
    Abracadavers Posts: 61 Match Maker
    Options
    Zzyzzx said:
    I think this is exactly the reason why they shouldn't implement something like this.  It would be too easy for players to get ahead without earning or purchasing cards.  This would be a net loss for the devs.

I do think that they need additional sinks for extra resources though.
  • Stormcrow
    Stormcrow Posts: 462 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I think that gifting non-trivial resources to other players opens the door to all kinds of abuse with alt accounts and so on on, unforunately.

An idea that might work, though, similar to what they do in another game I play, would be that for each event, the Coalition Leader and/or officers can designate one card from their own collection as "shared" - other coalition members wouldn't actually get to keep the card, but for the duration of that event they could build Event Decks which include that card, as though they owned it. Would allow veteran players with bigger collections to help out struggling newbies, would let newbies "test drive" some awesome cards which might encourage them to spend, and it adds a bit of strategic decision-making as the coalition has to decide which "shared" cards would make the biggest impact or offer the most benefit to the most members.
  • Theophilus
    Theophilus Posts: 123 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I would LOVE to be able to convert excess resources! I have runes to spare. Maybe we could convert runes to gold or orbs, and gold to pinks! 
  • Mburn7
    Mburn7 Posts: 3,427 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I would LOVE to be able to convert excess resources! I have runes to spare. Maybe we could convert runes to gold or orbs, and gold to pinks! 
    That would be awesome, but I highly doubt that it would happen.  Its too easy to get runes right now, so either the conversion would have to be stupidly high or there would be another drop in event rewards.

Also, this issue was "addressed" when deck slots were added (they were made to be late game currency sinks), so I doubt this is a high priority right now.
  • IM_CARLOS
    IM_CARLOS Posts: 640 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Zzyzzx said:
    I think this is exactly the reason why they shouldn't implement something like this.  It would be too easy for players to get ahead without earning or purchasing cards.  This would be a net loss for the devs.

Make the "trade"-option for for VIP lvl. <enter digit here> only.
    Problem solved!

VIP 3 would be fair. I think. 

By the way the... the VIP lvl. Up boni are so useless in the moment. This would be more of use and unique in this game. But this is a different thread... 
  • IM_CARLOS
    edited October 2019
    Options
    Mburn7 said:
    That would be awesome, but I highly doubt that it would happen.  Its too easy to get runes right now, so either the conversion would have to be stupidly high or there would be another drop in event rewards.

Also, this issue was "addressed" when deck slots were added (they were made to be late game currency sinks), so I doubt this is a high priority right now.
    Same here: make this possible for higher VIP lvl. 

If you have every pw and almost every card there is no need to have vip yet. You just hoarding resources for years. 

Enable different converter option (runes, crystal, etc) for moving up the vip ladder and the "endgamer" will get vip too. 
  • Azerack
    Azerack Posts: 501 Critical Contributor
    Options
    There's a BIG reason why they DON'T do this and that's money.

Not just they're losing out on players buying packs, but as Blizzard and other MMORPG's found out, there's also every way that someone will open an account, farm cards, then trade them for real money and then things get very messy.

But I'm sure you all thought of that, already, and are thinking BESIDES that, this is a good reason to do that, right? ;) 

• Quantius
    Quantius Posts: 228 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I'll also add to Azerack's post that viewing this from the benevolent side of people wanting to give to others, while nice, leaves the door open for what comes next which is expectations of handouts and entitlement. Of course, you don't have to give anyone anything, but much like tradeable loot in WoW, people get nasty when you don't give them something you don't need and feel that you should just because you can.

So it's one thing to gift someone something because you like that person or want to help a newbie out, but beggars and demanders will show up, and there will be hurt feelings if one person gets something while another doesn't. Then you start needing formal gift distribution systems (like DKP or something) to be more equitable and so on.

It's a nice gesture for sure, but it would also be a headache. I'd rather see skins and stuff as a resource sink. Different style board gems, card drawer, etc. People do love cosmetic items.
  • IM_CARLOS
    Options
    Azerack said:

Not just they're losing out on players buying packs, but as Blizzard and other MMORPG's found out, there's also every way that someone will open an account, farm cards, then trade them for real money and then things get very messy.

But I'm sure you all thought of that, already, and are thinking BESIDES that, this is a good reason to do that, right? ;) 

Just make it possible for VIP lvl., lets say 5. Problem solved. 

D3 get at lest 2x5 monthly vip cash then. For two people that share. 

If anyone wants to make another a count he is free to pay vip then. 
  • FindingHeart8
    FindingHeart8 Posts: 2,730 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    IM_CARLOS said:
    Azerack said:

Then we too far the other direction and this game becomes an all out pay-to-play
  • IM_CARLOS
    Options
    IM_CARLOS said:
    Azerack said:

Then we too far the other direction and this game becomes an all out pay-to-play
    Why? You can play without paying. You only can't share cards (or convert ressources). 

I can see the point, but someone has to pay or this game will be closed. 
    Free share option would be nice, but people will abuse this. Just create dozens of new accounts and share every stuff to the main account.

• Lossibob
    Options
    The thing is,  if someone is going to abuse the system, they probably already are - and will find a way to do so whatever steps are put in place to stop them - it's a sad fact of life that those who want to break the rules - whether in a game or in society in general - will find a way to do it until they get caught and then complain that they're being punished.  For the majority of us, abusing the system isn't something we even consider and it's for those people that I still say, being part of a coalition and being able to help and benefit from other members of that coalition would be  not just a good idea but a great way to improve the overall gaming experience. I'm bot looking for cards and resources - I have far too many to use - but I would personally gain from a game perspective as well as the "feel good factor" of helping newer players in my coalition to improve their game and contributing to the coalition as a whole. If one or two people in my coalition were then to abuse the system (to what level I dont really know - I dont see people giving away their "best cards" or resources they aren't happy to donate) then as far as I'm concerned, I'm not losing anything I'm not prepared to anyway and I have faith in d3go's systems that the people concerned would be found and punished accordingly. I stand by the fact that from a coalition point of view, it would be a great addition to the game.
  • Azerack
    Options
    Well, I'm pretty sure if you put this in the Suggestions section of this forum it will at least get "seen" but don't hold your breath on it happening. 
  • Zzyzzx
    Zzyzzx Posts: 248 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I'll admit, I hadn't considered the abuse factor because it wasn't something that crossed my mind.
    But I get it, and agree that it is a sad truth that there will be abusers.
    I would just like to help out a team mate with, say, something like 1000 crafting orbs.
    Then my quota is done and I can't "gift" resources until next month or whatever limit they'd build into the feature.
  • Mburn7
    Mburn7 Posts: 3,427 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Lossibob said:
     I stand by the fact that from a coalition point of view, it would be a great addition to the game.
    Here's the thing:  You're absolutely correct that this would be great from a coalition point of view.  Most of us in coalitions really do enjoy helping out the noobs, and if I could donate a million runes or whatever to help them out I definitely would and it would be great for everyone. 

BUT that would mean that D3 and Oktagon lose out on a lot of potential revenue (since you're less likely to purchase resources if you are being gifted them), new players lose out on a lot of the tutorial grinding (where you learn to make good decks with bad cards), and new players are massively incentivized to join a large coalition family over a smaller one (since there are more players to donate to the cause).
    And this doesn't even factor in the usual issues of alt accounts and cards-for-cash shenanigans and whatever other illicit activities always come from these sorts of systems.

All in all as much as I like the concept of this idea I don't think it's a good idea to implement, unless its limited to such small quantities its basically useless anyway.
  • Azerack
    Options
    In this game,  probably the best help is communication.  Help your Coalition mates with deck building,  etc. If D3 saw it fit to have a Discord server and host channels for coalitions and such, THAT would be more worthwhile.  
  • Caeman
    Caeman Posts: 65 Match Maker
    Options
    I’m not saying sharing rares and Mythics; these are the money makers. But in many cases, a common or uncommon can really help a newcomer, and they just don’t have access to the means of getting it without a massive stroke of luck, especially in Legacy, where there’s a ton of sets, but no way to chose which set you can craft from. Commons and Uncommons are practically worthless, but in certain situations, they can be just the thing needed to win.
    For example, in Avacyn’s Madness, the Spectral Shepherd is very difficult for newbies... but with Plummet, he’s a push over. Temmet is a monster that keeps buffing +4 very cheaply, but in a deck with Cast Out, he folds like a cheap suit.
    It’s just that, far too frequently, the arsenal that some newer players have just can’t compete with the decks without a clutch card in their deck, usually block specific. Even if it’s just for PvE, Legacy and common/ uncommon cards, I still think sharing would improve the gameplay for newer players, and veterans can get a nice fuzzy feeling at helping newer players get past that one to twenty **** monsters that the noobs are stuck against, offering more than platitudes of encouragement and/or deck suggestions that probably still hinge on that creature’s Achilles heel.