Dupes (Variants) or New Characters?

jp1
jp1 Posts: 1,081 Chairperson of the Boards
edited September 2019 in MPQ General Discussion
This one is pretty obvious. However, I wonder if others might be torn like I am. I am definitely more excited for new characters, but there are many dupes I would be absolutely ecstatic to see. What do you all think?

Here is a breakdown of some dupes and some new characters I would love. The dupes almost all have qualifiers attached.

Dupes:
Wolverine - Appropriately strong with true healing that is befitting of Logan. Berserk attack please.

SWitch - Wanda is a great 3* but I would love to see a 5* variant with some relevant powers.

World Breaker Hulk - 5* and should pose a serious threat.

New:

Omega Red - Seriously, should I even say why? 

Mr. Sinister 

Nate Grey 

Mephisto 

Comments

• Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,939 Chairperson of the Boards
    Variants... I’ve been wanting a 5* Doom, Magento, Juggernaut and Iceman forever. Way more than any new character. Juggs was made a 4. The other two were recently added to the 5* tier. One left to go.  Mags is probably the most glaring oversight since Doom to not be a 4 or 5. His variant must be coming. 

With my variants mostly checked off, I’d love to see Super Skrull, Legion, and Purple Man in the game. All three could have super fun power sets.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    I like to see some of the characters from Marvel arcade fighting game series like:

1. Omega Red (top priority)
    2. Blackheart
    3. Shuma Gorath

From others:
    1. Killmonger
    2. Red Skull
    3. Electro

For variants, I like to see:

1. Magneto
    2. Scarlet Witch
    3. Sentry
  • jp1
    jp1 Posts: 1,081 Chairperson of the Boards
    I agree about Mags. They have a good track record with him as well so I would feel confident he might turn out really well. 

4* Juggs is awesome, but I would still be excited for a 5* traditional Juggs for sure.

A Sentry who isn’t trash tier would be cool as well. 

It’s a deep well fellas.
  • Therealsmkspy
    Therealsmkspy Posts: 254 Mover and Shaker
    edited September 2019
    While I want new characters mostly, I really don't mind 3* characters without 4* counterparts getting the five treatment. 

Iceman and Prof $ feel excessive to me. Would rather have had a 5* New X-Men Beast or Bendis Colossus than those two.

• ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    Variants are an opportunity to correct an underwhelming implementation, since rebalances aren’t really part of this ecosystem. But I do prefer the idea of new characters, particularly when variant characters are mutually exclusive for no reason other than naming convention.
  • JHawkInc
    JHawkInc Posts: 2,604 Chairperson of the Boards
    Both fill different needs. With characters that have 50-60 or more years of history, variants let you cover them at different points of their life, which is then compounded by the Marvel multiverse having different versions of the character as well (most notably for MPQ, with the MCU versions of characters).

For some, for example, I'm glad we got a 5* Storm to let her exist as a true "Omega Level" mutant at the top tier of play. Same with Iceman (though I would argue this is our first true 616 Iceman, since the time-displaced Teen Iceman isn't the same)

There are other characters that could be elevated to that tier, Magneto and Scarlet Witch as obvious options, but I'd also like to see an MCU Scott Lang (let him go full on Giant Man while we're at it), and would not oppose another Wolverine (a 616 version, not Old Man Logan). And it doesn't strictly have to be one-way like that, either. I know we're not likely to get more 3-star characters, but that'd be a good spot for, say, a Marvel Girl Jean Grey, or to make long-time 5's like Green Goblin or Silver Surfer accessible to newer players by giving them a lower-tier version.

Oh, and I always thought we should have added an Unworthy Thor while Jane wielded the hammer in the comics, to let them fight together (now I'd rather see an MCU Endgame Thor, personally).

OH, and going through both Infinity War and Endgame without an MCU Iron Man feels like a missed opportunity, both of those suits could do some cool stuff. And we're close to having a good reason for another comic variant of Iron Man, too.

But there are plenty of spots for new characters.

Some to cover missing iconic characters. Red Skull should at least be in as a boss, but having him playable would be fun as well.

I would really like to see Arcade, solely because his shtick seems like a good excuse to try weird game mechanics for MPQ.

I'm always down for more web-tile users. It feels like an under-utilized game mechanic (I still wish Eddie Brock's green counted web tiles as enemy tiles, to give him a unique boost against Spider-people). And then you get to start to blur the lines between new characters and variants. Ben Reilley, Silk, Mayday Parker, Anya Corazon, Miguel O'Harra, etc.

Beyond that, I'd like to see Forge, Franklin Richards, a couple Spidey villains (Rhino, Scorpion, Shocker, Electro, etc), and ANY version of Hank Pym. Feels weird not having him represented at all. But the list could go on and on and on (Elixer, Goldballs, Mr Sinister, Marrow, US Agent, Viv Vision, Hulkling, Quasar, any of the other six Captain Marvels, Blue Marvel, Mandarin, Nightmare, Dormammu, Toxin, Anti-Venom, Lizard, Richard Rider, Adam Warlock, Mephisto, Alpha Flight.... you get the point)
  • Vins2
    Vins2 Posts: 183 Tile Toppler
    I would rather see new characters, or at least let you field the other character along with its dupe.  I'll paint a very specific recent scenario:  it would suck for someone to have hoarded for 4-6 months, and finally open the hoard to fully cover 5* Storm, only to not be able to use her for the 3*  Storm event.  It's just one event, but they're outta luck if Storm is their only 5, and any 5 takes so much resources to cover.  
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    ^That happened to me the other day with GE Doom. I just have Ghost Rider and Doom champed at the 5* tier, so there are 2 pvp events so far where I'm essentially a 4* player again lol. I don't actually hoard, but the point remains that when you're locked out due to naming conventions it's pretty weak. There have been at least one, maybe 2 PVE events where 2* and 5* widow were both required (or something like that), and that was kind of a bummer for those who like using Featured 5 across the event.
  • Warbringa
    Warbringa Posts: 1,299 Chairperson of the Boards
    It was God Doom, which we now have so I would probably have to say the following:

1.) Red Skull - really would prefer him as a 5*, but 4* would still be better than nothing
    2.) Switch - 5* version
    3.) 5* Magneto
    4.) Mojo - probably be ok with a 4* of him
    5.) 4* Vision
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    After how many movies, and we still only have 1 Mystique?
  • shinnaruto
    shinnaruto Posts: 60 Match Maker
    For a dupe, I would like a 5* Mr. Fantastic (The Maker), 5* Carnage (Symbiote God), 5* or 4* Sentry (The Void);

New, I would echo characters like Sinister, Omega Red, Red Skull, and maybe Dormammu.

More villains!!!!