How valuable are champ levels on Thanos and Okoye

I'm considering opening up my cp to get additional champ levels on Okoye (and as a bonus Thanos and 5* BP), but really it would cut into my ability to cover Storm, prof X and Iceman, I'm just waiting for the next stores incase a Kitty vault opens. 

My Okoye is 456, half thor is 451. I would need to get her to 464 so she tanks yellow for Thor? Or is there a smarter way to work around that?

Thanks!

Comments

• scottee
    scottee Posts: 1,610 Chairperson of the Boards
    Extra levels are not that valuable. Unless you're a super whale, they don't make a big difference. 13 covers on a 5* you don't have champed are infinitely better than 13 covers on someone you already have champed.

Higher levels on a 5* only make a practical difference when they're higher enough to scare opponents from hitting you in PVP. Otherwise, the increments are too small to chase.
  • JSP869
    JSP869 Posts: 822 Critical Contributor
    edited September 2019
    I'm considering opening up my cp to get additional champ levels on Okoye (and as a bonus Thanos and 5* BP), but really it would cut into my ability to cover Storm, prof X and Iceman, I'm just waiting for the next stores incase a Kitty vault opens. 

My Okoye is 456, half thor is 451. I would need to get her to 464 so she tanks yellow for Thor? Or is there a smarter way to work around that?

Thanks!
    I think you mean for her to tank Red, and not Yellow.

At level 459 my Okoye was already tanking Yellow over my 456 Thor. After spending 3k+ CP on the Wakanda store I got 7 Okoye covers and now need just one more for her because I noticed that every level increase added 5 points damage to her Red and she's now only 5 points behind Thor. So at level 467 she'll be tied with Thor on Red, and as I always make sure she's front & center or on the left for PvP and Essential nodes, she will win the tie.

In addition to the 7 Okoye covers I also got 5 covers/levels for Thanos, and 6 covers for Black Panther, making him my ninth 5* Champion.

The Champion rewards also boosted my LT hoard from 19 to 36, and gave me covers for Hawkeye (now 3/2/3) and Iron Man (now 5/5/1).

I got 5 bonus 4* covers, finishing Juggernaut and getting me 3 Bucky covers closer to finishing Captain America, but out of 120+ pulls, 18 of which were 5* covers, I didn't get a single bonus 5* cover for Okoye. I'm optimistic that this means there's a 5* BH cover just over the horizon. Or maybe I'll pull another Okoye cover from the Wakanda vault when I get some more CP :)

Overall, I'm pretty happy with this haul. It could have easily been a lot worse. I could have only pulled a couple of Okoye covers...or even none at all.
  • Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,699 Chairperson of the Boards
    "Higher levels on a 5* only make a practical difference when they're higher enough to scare opponents from hitting you in PVP."

That. Keep in mind that 5* players regularly hit triple 515's in PvE because of the 5* node in SCL9. You're going to have to add a BUNCH of levels for those teams to become conspicuously intimidating.
  • bowla33
    bowla33 Posts: 203 Tile Toppler
    Okoye needs 12 levels above Thor to tank red. 
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    For the most part, I'd agree with the comments about higher levels not making much difference, but Okoye does seem to be one of the few (possibly the only?) exception(s), since she really needs to be tanking as much as possible.
  • JSP869
    bowla33 said:
    Okoye needs 12 levels above Thor to tank red. 
    At 11 levels above she will tie with Thor. Then you just need to put her in the middle slot, or to the left with Thor to the far right, and she will "win" the tie and tank red over him.

So @Team_Jacob 'only' needs 6 Okoye covers.

I spent 3,000+ CP this morning and got lucky with 7 Okoye covers out of 18 5s. But I still need one more cover/level before Okoye will tank Red over Thor.
  • sinnerjfl
    sinnerjfl Posts: 1,275 Chairperson of the Boards
    For the most part, I'd agree with the comments about higher levels not making much difference, but Okoye does seem to be one of the few (possibly the only?) exception(s), since she really needs to be tanking as much as possible.
    As someone with Thor at 460, and Okoye at 454, I don't even have a problem keeping Thor relatively shielded from damage even though he does tank red and green. Okoye will take yellow/black/TU all the time, the featured probably takes blue or purple.

If the board only has red/green matches, using her yellow should give you a TU match, he rarely has to get in front.

Ideally of course I'd like her to tank red but its really not a big deal.

And for the OP's question, I agree that champ levels on 5*'s are not very significant. You see a slight boost in power every 10 champ levels but good luck getting a lot of champ levels. Better off covering the next character honestly.
  • JSP869
    At 12 levels above she will absolutely tank Red over Thor, but at 11 levels above I think she'll be tied, so then it's just a matter of making sure she's center, or left to his right, so she wins the tie
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited September 2019
    scottee said:
    Extra levels are not that valuable. Unless you're a super whale, they don't make a big difference. 13 covers on a 5* you don't have champed are infinitely better than 13 covers on someone you already have champed.

Higher levels on a 5* only make a practical difference when they're higher enough to scare opponents from hitting you in PVP. Otherwise, the increments are too small to chase.
    I sort of agree with this.  The marginal value of most champ levels is quite low.  A few hundred extra points of health/power strength, and +5-7 match damage. 

But champ levels can be a great way to game the tanking system.  Having okoye 10-12 levels above Thor is a great because she will take red for him.  And having a true healer as your highest leveled 5* is great for the same reason.

And 5* champ rewards are very good.

So champ levels can be important, but not all champ levels have much value; most of them are just nice, rather than critically important.
  • Pongie
    Pongie Posts: 1,411 Chairperson of the Boards
    Bring iceman as your 3rd and he will tank yellow and green. Which leave red as the only colour Thor tanks (useful to get him in front to bring his health below 50% if you are not retreating several times beforehand)
  • JSP869
    I just pulled a Panther and got a bonus Okoye. She's now 11 levels above Thor, both their Reds are 656, and when placed ahead of Thor she does "win" the tie and tank Red over him.

In fact Thor now only tanks Green.

Also with those extra levels, Okoye can now soak up even more damage.

Was it worth 3,000+ CP? I think so :)
  • Team_Jacob
    Team_Jacob Posts: 90 Match Maker
    Thanks for the feedback, I don't have enough pulls to (reliably) get Okoye to 462, and I climbed to 2k with her and Thor in the sim without any real issues over the weekend, plus covering her further is going to hurt my chances of finishing the current three. I'll probably get there with champ rewards eventually anyway :).

• DukeUpdate
    DukeUpdate Posts: 33 Just Dropped In

One thing that helped me was to put the Avengers Tower Support on my Okoye.  At level 4 it increases the red damage and means that her red tanks over my Thor. 

While it only works in PvE (not PvP), it does what I need them to since my Okoye (458) and Thor (450) are a liability on PvP defense anyway.