Best black Planeswalkers

Options
Shecky
Shecky Posts: 26 Just Dropped In
With the planeswalker sale coming up, I was wondering what people thought were the best planeswalkers that have black as at least one of their colors.  Please explain why you like the PW's you do.  Thanks.

Comments

• Shecky
    Options
    Oops.  This went in the wrong game.  Sorry.

• Warbeast_7
    Warbeast_7 Posts: 28 Just Dropped In
    Options
    I would say probably Okoye. But for a more aggressive play style, Jessica is pretty good too!
  • max5esq
    max5esq Posts: 56 Match Maker
    Options
    The term is African American and Blade is a day walker, not a plains walker.
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,629 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Where is our planeswalker sale?!?!?!? 
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    Options
    @Shecky Moved to MTGPQ Forum
  • Mburn7
    Mburn7 Posts: 3,427 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Lol I love seen comments ported over from Marvel PQ.

As for your question, Bolas is probably the best Black walker (any Bolas, I haven't gotten the new one yet to test but I'm sure he's good)

In dual colors, Angrath is solid despite the massive nerf and Pirate Vraska and Tezz (either dual color) are really fun, but I don't really use any of them in events due to the above mentioned Bolas.  Sorin and Kaya are both meh.  Other Vraska is pretty awful from what I've heard.

In mono-color, Ob is still by far the best for control strategies.  I find Origins Liliana really good, although also not really competitive.  Amonkhet Lil is really good.  Avoid Innistrad Lil and M19 Lil unless you're just going for completion (although I do love Innistrad Lil personally, she's really narrow in focus)

Hope this helps!
  • Zzyzzx
    Zzyzzx Posts: 248 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I'll add my useless opinion.
    https://wiki.mtgpq.info/wiki/Tezzeret_the_Schemer
    Tezzoret II is unique among dualies with a total +9 mana bonus (the exception is of course Saheeli who is just an anomaly at +11).

His abilities are self-synergizing while at the same time absurdly destructive in the current standard (treasures).
  • ElfNeedsFood
    ElfNeedsFood Posts: 944 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I'd second the Bolas comments from @Mburn7 , but add that the first Bolas (God-Pharoah) is probably top, the second one (Ravager) second and not as sure about the third Bolas, but he's not going to be on sale anyways. 

Angrath and Vraska, Relic Seeker are probably the best options for dual black walkers, but once you have a Bolas, you probably won't actually use them much.
  • greenmeanie
    greenmeanie Posts: 123 Tile Toppler
    Options
    My personal favorite is Lil 1.  She has disrupt in first ability, creature and pw damage in the second and raised dead in the 3rd. All around she has great abilities.  Just wish they would increase Mana bonus alittle.

• ArielSira
    ArielSira Posts: 490 Mover and Shaker
    edited September 2019
    Options
    My top black walker would be Bolas1 (creature kill, card draw + tokens, direct damage and reanimation; awesome abilities).

My 2nd favourite would be Vraska1 (opens Green convert craziness and easy support kill),

Angrath/Lili3/Ob Nix/Tezz2/Tezz 4/Bolas2 are great too, but a bit more narrow.
  • bk1234
    bk1234 Posts: 2,924 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    For someone with a lot of experience NB2, for a newer or mid level player, NB1 is a collection essential. 
  • Shecky
    Options
    Great advice.  Thank you everyone.  I knew NB1 was a clear choice and wanted to know of others that may be less expensive.  I'm off to story mode to beef up my crystals.
  • Zzyzzx
    Zzyzzx Posts: 248 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Liliana Untouched by Death is my choice in Legacy because of her ability to stock the yard.
  • Stormcrow
    Stormcrow Posts: 462 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I really like the reanimation combos possible in Green/Black (and when I say "Green" I basically mean, "Gather the Pack"). And I like Vraska 1 a lot just because I find having "blow up a support" on a PW's first ability to be basically the ideal place to have the "blow up a support" option that every deck needs.

But yeah, despite all that Bolas 1 is still the best walker, overall.

One other thing I'll add is that Liliana, Death's Majesty, despite being from Amonkhet block originally, is very effective with Amass cards. IMO she's probably a better PW for an Amass-focused deck than the actual Dreadhorde General version of Liliana is.

I will also say that until just right now, when I was looking at mtgpq.info to remind myself which Lili was which (I have serious trouble with this!) I had no idea that Liliana, Untouched By Death had Elspeth-style gains at level 60. +7 in black! I still don't necessarily think that's enough to make her amazing (I'd rather fill my graveyard with Gather the Pack and/or Underrealm Lich) but those gains definitely raise her a few notches in my estimation.
  • Azerack
    Azerack Posts: 501 Critical Contributor
    Options
    With the right cards, Untouched by Death is pretty good in Standard, too. At least I've had fun playing her in the Standard TG, now and then. Even vs Unbrokhan, sometimes I can win pretty well. 
    Deathbridge Chant helps a lot though. ;)
  • Quantius
    Quantius Posts: 228 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Lilia Untouched by Death is pretty sick in standard imo

Underrealm Lich
    Lazav the Multifarious
    Blood Operative

Glimpse the Unthinkable
    Creeping Chill
    Connive/Concot
    Discovery/Dispersal
    Assassin's Trophy

Font of Agonies
    Watery Grave

Just using A1 the whole time to further fuel the GY. Blood Operative stacks like crazy which in turn pumps the font of agonies and triggers the watery grave gem change.

• Bil
    Bil Posts: 831 Critical Contributor
    edited September 2019
    Options
    Generally speaking, multicolored walkers are "better choices", in particular with non-exhaustive collections, because having access to more cards enhances your ability to build a solid deck.

Monoblack walkers aren't as versatile, but they usually shine in the archetypes they were designed for. 

Origins Lili is discard focused and probably the best in that niche, even if angrath is a solid competitor. Auto-resurection creatures can help mitigate the drawback of his first ability.

Lili death majesty is incredible with good ETB creatures.

Untouched by death shines in graveyard exploit. 

Ob nixilis mostly relies on his third to kill, which allows player to focus on control cards. Beware of the very low managains though, better play cheap cards or black converters.

Those monowalkers will become very powerful and probably funnier to play  than multicolored walkers if your collection allows you to explore their niche.
    However, as far as competitive events are concerned, keep in mind that black has almost no access to support destruction, and that's a BIG drawback.
  • IM_CARLOS
    IM_CARLOS Posts: 640 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Good depends on objectives.

Ob is good for 20- objectives, because he can seal the game and win in one round. 

Lil3 is good for objectives like 'x+ creature' and all zombie objectives. 

Sorin is pretty solid if combined with vampire stuff. 

T2 was great in the past today he is just okay. Sure his skill synergies. But the didn't change a game. 

Vraska I don't use. Neither Angrath. Maybe they are pretty cool, but I didn't get in touch with there style. 

B1 is king of the hill. 

B2 is great for all longterm-game plans, because he can total, seal a game and can hurt is self (good for 20-hp objective). 

All other black pw are weaker outdated or just too narrow in cards to call them good. 

Juat my opinion. 
  • Firinmahlazer
    Firinmahlazer Posts: 417 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Ob is ultimate for creature-less build especially in legacy. 

Lil 3 is probably my favorite mono black for her mana gains and abilities. 

Bolas 1 for something not pure black.
  • Shecky
    Options
    Thanks, everyone.  I'm not actually a beginner, but I started over a year ago (long story) and have not had the resources to keep up with planeswalkers.  So, I have no idea what most of the newer PW's are like.  So, I figured I would ask generally and see what people suggested.  So far, I have picked up Bolas 1 and Vraska 1.  I had Ob before, but never had the best creatureless cards.  So, I could never take advantage of it.  Now, that's really true.  Anyway, the discussion has been much appreciated.