Time to Make the Jump to 5* Land?

Options
tdtmf
tdtmf Posts: 17 Just Dropped In
I'd appreciate some input here. I have soft capped my 5* at 302 but have a 9 ready to champion. I enough Iso8 to do it but have held off so I don't increase the level of the competition. 

I only play PVE. Should I make the jump, and if I do, how much harder will the competition get?

the 5*s ready to champion are thor, kitty, thanos, cap, doc oct, dr strange, Jessica jones, Okoye, wolverine. 

I also worry about making my 4* teams obsolete. 

Thoughts?  
Tagged:

Comments

• TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Yeah, you are pretty much going to make your 4* teams obsolete. But that's pretty much the only downside. You've got Thor, Okoye, Kitty, Jess, and Thanos there. You're not going to find a better lot to transition with.
  • grunth13
    grunth13 Posts: 608 Critical Contributor
    Options
    How high are your 4s?
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    You have all the meta 5*. You are ready to run in PvE. And you play only PvEs. 

If you play PvP hard as well, then it's a different story because 5* players have been at the mercy of Bishop. 
  • shinnaruto
    shinnaruto Posts: 60 Match Maker
    Options
    Wow! Those are great choices. CL9 PvE will be so much easier and quicker. If you pick the right slot times and slices, then you should reap some good rewards. Champ them!
  • tdtmf
    Options
    grunth13 said:
    How high are your 4s?
    All but the last 9 are champ'd. Highest level is 312 (Medusa) the bulk range from 290-300.
  • Yepyep
    Yepyep Posts: 952 Critical Contributor
    edited September 2019
    Options
    @tdtmf you're absolutely more than ready to go if you can champ all (or even 4+) at once.

I play both PvE and PvP. Just in the last month, rather inadvertantly, I made the transition after I champed one 5*; bc my soft cap was a little high, I was thrust into 5* land pretty much totally. I had only Okoye. I was...

...utterly boned (in an unpleasant way, sadly), especially in PvP. So I champed Kitty and took Thor to his max level (551, so no slouch). That helped immensely.

I don't worry too much about placement, so top-50 or better is usually OK by me, though I try for top-25 in PvP. It can be a struggle to hit 900 but not all that bad.

So, given that your focus is PvE, I'd say you're entirely golden. And then some! I wish I had your stable and the ISO to feed them!

Best of luck! You're in a tremendously fun spot!  👊🏼
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,916 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    There is zero drawback to champing 5s for PVE. They will make your grinds quicker and in the event that you want to use your 4s, you always can (though you’ll place lower). If you played PVP I’d suggest not champing to avoid the Bishop problem (also all but maybe 3-4 of your 4s will be obsolete). But PVE-only? Go for it. 
  • abenness
    abenness Posts: 228 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Yepyep said:
    @tdtmf you're absolutely more than ready to go if you can champ all (or even 4+) at once.

I play both PvE and PvP. Just in the last month, rather inadvertantly, I made the transition after I champed one 5*; bc my soft cap was a little high, I was thrust into 5* land pretty much totally. I had only Okoye. I was...

...utterly boned (in an unpleasant way, sadly), especially in PvP. So I champed Kitty and took Thor to his max level (551, so no slouch). That helped immensely.

I don't worry too much about placement, so top-50 or better is usually OK by me, though I try for top-25 in PvP. It can be a struggle to hit 900 but not all that bad.

So, given that your focus is PvE, I'd say you're entirely golden. And then some! I wish I had your stable and the ISO to feed them!

Where was your softcap for your other 5*?  Asking because I have Kitty champed and Hela covered but softcapped at 360.  I don't really want to only see dual-champ 5* teams until I have some other options available (fingers crossed for Iceman and Prof X).

Are you not able to reach 900 in PVP using Gritty alone?  This is pretty straightforward for me in s1, starting 24-36 hours in to the event.
  • abenness
    Options
    tdtmf said:
    I'd appreciate some input here. I have soft capped my 5* at 302 but have a 9 ready to champion. I enough Iso8 to do it but have held off so I don't increase the level of the competition. 

I only play PVE. Should I make the jump, and if I do, how much harder will the competition get?

the 5*s ready to champion are thor, kitty, thanos, cap, doc oct, dr strange, Jessica jones, Okoye, wolverine. 

Thoughts?  
    Honestly dude, this comes across as a bit silly.  Of course you should move to 5* level, and you probably should have done it months ago. You have the meta PVP teams of Thorkoye, and Gritty available.  You have the fun alternatives of throwing in JJ or Dr Strange. Your 4*-only teams would be obsolete apart from boost weeks, but during boost weeks they may well work well with one of your 5*.

In PVE, nothing would stop you from playing at the SCL you are currently playing, using the 4* teams you currently use, and taking the same time you currently do, for your current level of prizes.

But, you would have Gritty and Thanos, enough to compete strongly for top5/top10 finishes in scl9. What more do you think you would need?
  • tdtmf
    Options
    abenness said:
    tdtmf said:

Thoughts?  
    Honestly dude, this comes across as a bit silly.  Of course you should move to 5* level, and you probably should have done it months ago. You have the meta PVP teams of Thorkoye, and Gritty available.  You have the fun alternatives of throwing in JJ or Dr Strange. Your 4*-only teams would be obsolete apart from boost weeks, but during boost weeks they may well work well with one of your 5*.

In PVE, nothing would stop you from playing at the SCL you are currently playing, using the 4* teams you currently use, and taking the same time you currently do, for your current level of prizes.

But, you would have Gritty and Thanos, enough to compete strongly for top5/top10 finishes in scl9. What more do you think you would need?
    Sorry if it sounds silly to you, it certainly wasn't meant to be.

I've spent 5 years building a roster and remember reading many people say that they regretted making the jump to 5* level, though it has been awhile. I'd hate to ruin the fun of the game for me.

I've got 12 or so 4* characters that I use on a regular basis and that I am comfortable with. Luckily, I've got many of the top 5*s so it sounds like the transition shouldn't be too bad. I just have to learn the dynamics of several new teams. 
  • tdtmf
    Options
    abenness said:
    Yepyep said:

Where was your softcap for your other 5*?  Asking because I have Kitty champed and Hela covered but softcapped at 360.  I don't really want to only see dual-champ 5* teams until I have some other options available (fingers crossed for Iceman and Prof X).

Are you not able to reach 900 in PVP using Gritty alone?  This is pretty straightforward for me in s1, starting 24-36 hours in to the event.
    My soft cap is 302 for all but 3 of my 5*. I have 2 at 305 and one at 306.

I hardly ever play PVP  and when I do, the only 5* I've used is Thanos  
  • tdtmf
    Options
    Yepyep said:

Thanks! I appreciate it! 
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,630 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I have absolutely nothing to add except to say enjoy your 5* and additional free time as you crush your clears! If I had that roster I might even start to enjoy pve! Probably not...😁
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,916 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited September 2019
    Options
    About 7.5 months ago I made the leap in a similar position to you. Had a lot of the same concerns and pretty much all the same characters to transition with. You can read my very long post discussing my transition here. Maybe it’ll help you decide. Though this was all pre-Bishop. 

https://forums.d3go.com/discussion/76951/i-ve-denied-the-signs-too-long-i-m-a-5-player/p1
  • Yepyep
    Yepyep Posts: 952 Critical Contributor
    Options
    tdtmf said:

I've spent 5 years building a roster and remember reading many people say that they regretted making the jump to 5* level, though it has been awhile. I'd hate to ruin the fun of the game for me.

I've got 12 or so 4* characters that I use on a regular basis and that I am comfortable with. Luckily, I've got many of the top 5*s so it sounds like the transition shouldn't be too bad. I just have to learn the dynamics of several new teams. 
    EXACTLY. There is no turning back in this game (unless you want to sell your 5*s...). It is entirely prudent to query the field and get some say-so from the vets. It's silly to imply otherwise!

abenness said:
    Yepyep said:

...Just in the last month, rather inadvertantly, I made the transition after I champed one 5*; bc my soft cap was a little high, I was thrust into 5* land pretty much totally. I had only Okoye. I was...

My soft cap was 320. I had 10+ 5*s there and Kitty at, um, 375? Right about there. Then I champed Okoye to 453. I was seeing nothing but full 5* rosters, though mostly <475 (not all, though; some were way north of that).

I don't know that the problem was a high soft cap or whatever else. 🤷🏻‍♂️ All I know is that one 5* champ was untenable for me. (And that's why OP's query is not silly... It's a fraught thing going to 5*...).

I wish that I had waited a little while longer. Maybe another 6 
    months. Build up ISO, maybe fully cover Thor (not really necessary with 5xgreen, though). But it's fine. But if I was anal about placement I'd be very, very sad...
  • abenness
    Options
    tdtmf said:

My reaction is because I was bemused by your question given the circumstances. I'm playing at 5* level with only Kitty champed, and I am super-jealous of the options you have available. Sorry for the negative connotation.

The regrets people have had about going to the 5* level are from those who do it typically with a weaker single champ or non-synergistic pair. This will not be you.

You have a variety of the strongest toons and teams in the 5* level, and will slaughter your way through PVE. The only challenging fights will (sometimes) be the 5e nodes when they scale to 515.

Come and play PVP, join a LINE room and be part of the community there too.

Enjoy!
  • AXP_isme
    AXP_isme Posts: 809 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I took the plunge to 5* land a couple
    of months ago. PvE is much faster and easier so that’s a good thing. PvP has been much more boring. I’m now limited in the teams I can use by the teams I’m facing - I have to use my 5*s to stand a chance - and the teams I see are much more homogeneous. 

It’s a double edged sword. I don’t really regret it as I was never much of a one for PvP anyway but the PvP experience is discernibly worse. Horses for courses. 
  • Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,477 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

Can I ask you vets? If one were to transition into 5* game for PVE what is the point of the greater placement rewards as you'll then be earning 4* covers for characters that as a 5* player you'd never use? That would surely be a waste of iso champing those characters no? 

And doesn't this then point to the desperate need for CL10 to be opened up with 5* cover rewards to keep all you vets interested?
    The 4* covers are super valuable for the 4* farms.  Most high level comp veterans will have a full set of 4* chars ranging from baby champ to max champ.  You have to keep growing these champs to get the better champ drop etc.

every 20 levels is effectively worth 1 5*, 1 lt, 20cp at a minimum.  Each pvp is worth 3 4* covers(assuming you can place).  Each pve is worth 3-4 covers.

even though we use 5* chars.  Winning loads and loads of 4* covers is the best method of ensuring enough resources to continue growing in 5* tier.  All the shield rank 200 players have massive 4* star farms at 320+