Make Anniversary better? Bring back the Gauntlet

Glockoma
Glockoma Posts: 549 Critical Contributor
Am I right? Your thoughts please.

Comments

• Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    There's about 200 people who remember what Gauntlet even is.
    It's dead.
  • Thanos
    Thanos Posts: 722 Critical Contributor
    Love the Gauntlet idea @fight4thedream proposed. There's something there for each tier of player. Personally, I'd like a challenge for once. Being a 5* player there isn't much that poses a challenge anymore, everythings about speed. I'd like to be able to take my time and think things through in a difficult match and be rewarded appropriately for it.
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,576 Chairperson of the Boards
    Didn't Gauntlet have a really terrible reward to effort ratio? I don't want to be mean but I would just expect it to be a crushing disappointment if ran as was and if updated I can't see the player base being winners in terms of updated rewards. Bring back Crash of the Mad Titan! Now that was fun!
  • shardwick
    shardwick Posts: 2,121 Chairperson of the Boards
    That's what was so disappointing about that poll. It was pretty much every poll that they've done except with the dancing Devil Dino.

Of these events that we've ran into the ground which is your favorite?

I also wish that they had mentioned Sakaar Arena for pvp. Like SmokeyJoe I want more events like the gauntlet that can run alongside the regular events.
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,247 Chairperson of the Boards
    The devs have hinted that the Cinema Showdowns was in their mind like a mini-Gauntlet.

I'd just like to see some more frequent and more robust untimed content. 

If it wasn't on their survey I think we should accept the official death of the Gauntlet.
  • ZootSax
    ZootSax Posts: 1,819 Chairperson of the Boards
    DAZ0273 said:
    Didn't Gauntlet have a really terrible reward to effort ratio? I don't want to be mean but I would just expect it to be a crushing disappointment if ran as was and if updated I can't see the player base being winners in terms of updated rewards. Bring back Crash of the Mad Titan! Now that was fun!
    The end of the Gauntlet was either a 3* or a 4* cover (after taking a minute to look it up, here’s the thread for the most recent Gauntlet (https://forums.d3go.com/discussion/59424/pve-the-gauntlet-2017-02-16-to-2017-02-23/p1) (...how many forumites these days even remember back when each event had it’s own thread to list boosted characters and rewards, as this was WAY before Brigby’s monthly event threads were even a gleam in his eye).  The event was also pre-CP (and 5*’s...and Red Iso-8), so literally the entire rewards table would need a rework.  You couldn’t even earn all the currently-featured characters for the event (the end reward was the highest featured character for the next event).  

All this considered, I’d be amazed if we ever saw it again.  

That said, I’d be happy to see it run as-is alongside every boss event to give something else to do, but I also suspect relatively-newer players who never saw it before would be frankly amazed to hear this was the event long-time vets were calling for a return.  I recall it as much more of a “coming of age” for your roster event than one which was actually beloved.  I could be wrong though...

...and if the devs all wanted to troll us extremely, they could rerun the first ever gauntlet where Psylocke was the prize :)
  • skittledaddy
    skittledaddy Posts: 969 Critical Contributor
    Bowgentle said:
    There's about 200 people who remember what Gauntlet even is.
    It's dead.
    And then how many of us that remember it, hated the thing? I know I sure did.
    I might think differently now that my roster is far improved, but I remember seeing Gauntlet back then and immediately skipped however many days that event entailed.
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,576 Chairperson of the Boards
    ZootSax said:
    DAZ0273 said:
    The end of the Gauntlet was either a 3* or a 4* cover (after taking a minute to look it up, here’s the thread for the most recent Gauntlet (https://forums.d3go.com/discussion/59424/pve-the-gauntlet-2017-02-16-to-2017-02-23/p1) (...how many forumites these days even remember back when each event had it’s own thread to list boosted characters and rewards, as this was WAY before Brigby’s monthly event threads were even a gleam in his eye).  The event was also pre-CP (and 5*’s...and Red Iso-8), so literally the entire rewards table would need a rework.  You couldn’t even earn all the currently-featured characters for the event (the end reward was the highest featured character for the next event).  

All this considered, I’d be amazed if we ever saw it again.  

That said, I’d be happy to see it run as-is alongside every boss event to give something else to do, but I also suspect relatively-newer players who never saw it before would be frankly amazed to hear this was the event long-time vets were calling for a return.  I recall it as much more of a “coming of age” for your roster event than one which was actually beloved.  I could be wrong though...

...and if the devs all wanted to troll us extremely, they could rerun the first ever gauntlet where Psylocke was the prize :)
    No, that matches my memory exactly. I really don't remember the forum ever embracing this event in the terms of glowing praise it has had recently. I guess absence makes the heart grow fonder but a rusty nail in the foot is a rusty nail in the foot! The Boss Event back-up is probably the only realistic use without a major overhaul and they might as well just throw something new out instead.
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    I kind of want it to run again, because that last run was when I was just getting started (I think I had a handful of 3* champs), and I could only make it about 1/2 to 2/3 of the way through, and I'd like to give it another go with a more developed roster. It def needs to either be run alongside regular events or get massively updated Rewards, tho.
  • JackTenrec
    JackTenrec Posts: 808 Critical Contributor
    I recall Gauntlet being highly painful in terms of the node challenge, to the point that it actually required the full event time limit for my 2*-3* roster to complete it based on both character regen and health packs (I can't remember if this was when the health pack limit was lower, like 5).  What made it worse was that if you were missing any essentials, you couldn't get the final reward.

It was definitely an achievement to complete it, but I'm not sure if it was satisfying aside from realizing that I'd satisfied a certain level of roster maturity.
  • Hilk
    Hilk Posts: 131 Tile Toppler
    It would be great to run the gauntlet again... 1/Q .... if not 1/yr...
    finish it or not, it was a good bar to measure where you were either by finishing, or how long it took...
  • jredd
    jredd Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    run it in the prologue tab. let it run for two to four weeks. make it 1 clear per node and make it increase in difficulty. have it go like 200 nodes or something to that effect. see how far you can get. make the rewards rad.
  • The rockett
    The rockett Posts: 2,016 Chairperson of the Boards
    At this point Gauntlet has been gone for longer than it was playable in game.  There have been so many requests for it, the last word was they were “thinking” about it.   
  • RentedPanda
    RentedPanda Posts: 95 Match Maker
    I like the idea of putting it in prologue.  People can play it or not, you don't really need to update the rewards because it doesn't impact leaderboards or what players are expecting to earn in a time period, but those who remember it can run it, for old times sake.  I don't think I ever made it to the end of the second sub, and I don't believe I ever had all the requireds.  It would be fun to try now, but I wouldn't wish it on new players
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    For anniversary I would rather have a daily event like growth industry.  Each day would be a new event 5-6 nodes long with coll rewards.  They could have some of the nodes be X-men only, avengers only, villains onlyto make it fun and interesting.  Nothing too hard or crazy.

my second hope is to bring back support circuit or something like it.  hopping it can give out a better supports and higher star levels.
  • JSP869
    JSP869 Posts: 820 Critical Contributor
    DAZ0273 said:
    It may have had a sub-par reward if you had a roster developed enough to clear all three "Chapters". The last time it was run I was able to get through Chapter 2 (but not clear all the side nodes) and true to form the first nodes in Chapter 3 kicked my ****.
    That was the last time it ran, so I never did get to beat Chapter 3.
    And in the subsequent months, as I rostered and finished more & more characters, I eagerly waited for the Gauntlet to return so I could see how strong I'd become, and how far through it I could get this time.
    I'm still waiting.
  • RentedPanda
    RentedPanda Posts: 95 Match Maker
    I would like 12 days of marvel Christmas event, 10 years of mcu, the unfinished Coulson event, the Cho Hulk Hearts of Darkness, or growth industry in terms of side event things to run during Anniversary. Or what about the reboot events?  I think Psylocke and Fury or Kingpin may have been the last event, like two years ago?  That was cool, untimed side fun.  Wit or without a character rebalance
  • shardwick
    shardwick Posts: 2,121 Chairperson of the Boards
    Lol they killed it off right after I played it for the first time. They just need to revamp the rewards and let it run as an extra event. Maybe just once a year during Anniversary and reward a limited character for completing a chapter like Bag Man, then Spider Ham and then Taskmaster or Howard.