3.7 Release Notes *Updated (8/20/19)

2»

Comments

• Mburn7
    Mburn7 Posts: 3,427 Chairperson of the Boards
    starfall said:
    Tremayne said:
    @starfall - Isn’t it sufficient to exile the lands from your hand? So some card drawing should do the trick in order to have lands in hand. Or am I missing something?
    I guess paying three loyalty to send a land from your hand->exile->graveyard->hand and give it some mana isn't bad, but it's certainly not great. If you have a land in your start hand you want to put it on the board ASAP anyway to start gaining the benefit from it, not wait for 3 loyalty.

(Also see comments here about overengineering)

Dealing 3 damage to something is definitely terrible. Reminds me of Ugin. This is a PW design trend which needs to stop. Ugin is so much worse than Karn it's not even funny.
    To be fair, I don't think Ugin's ability is supposed to kill anything (since you usually want to ping your own creatures for mana bonus reasons).

In this case you're definitely right, 3 damage means that ability is basically useless until you fill your graveyard up with lands, by which point their creatures are probably bigger than 9 toughness anyway.

Especially since, unlike creatures, there aren't any cards that fetch lands directly to the graveyard, and filling your deck up with enough lands to mill yourself out randomly just sounds weird and convoluted.
  • Mburn7
    starfall said:
    Mburn7 said:

To be fair, I don't think Ugin's ability is supposed to kill anything (since you usually want to ping your own creatures for mana bonus reasons).
    I get what you're saying but it sounds like you're trying to defend how awful Ugin is?
    I don't find him totally awful in a vacuum.  His ult is really really good, and his second is solid as well.
    My issue with Ugin is he is just much much worse than Karn.  Needing for one player to have a creature out in order to get the mana bonus increase is a bit slow, especially compared Karn's ability to pull cards straight from your deck.

I think Ugin would have been a much better design if he just started +3 or even +2 in all colors and had a straight damage first ability (with more damage).

But that's neither here nor there.  Wrenn and Six are mirroring a trend in this game where certain walkers are designed specifically for niche strategies (Gideon Z, Tezz 1, Arlinn, Dovin 1, KLD Chandra...ect)  where they are powerful in that niche but almost completely useless otherwise.  These walkers are very fun for top end players who are able to build in that niche and already have better walkers in those colors for competitive events, but are useless for newer players.  If you don't like that design philosophy that's perfectly fine, but there's nothing wrong with it in theory.

Of course, its yet to be seen if Wrenn and Six are even good at all in their specific niche.  I certainly won't purchase them until people with more money crystals than I get a chance to play around with them and render a verdict.
  • Mburn7
    starfall said:
    Mburn7 said:

Of course, its yet to be seen if Wrenn and Six are even good at all in their specific niche.  I certainly won't purchase them until people with more money crystals than I get a chance to play around with them and render a verdict.
    I started playing Vivien in the latest Bo4t specifically as a 'land matters' PW, on level 2-1, but Wrenn and Six certainly won't be replacing that niche.
    Hmm, I usually prefer Karn for gates decks in PvE because of how nicely his ult and mana gains work with it.
    Vivien is a solid option, though.  I usually just use her for Elves/Stompy decks.

Wrenn and Six might end up being pretty good for PvE stuff, though, since those games tend to go on for longer than PvP ones and you don't need as much removal (or, at least, you know exactly how much you need).

No way to tell just yet, though.  Especially since they really don't seem like they'll be good in Standard at all.
  • Mburn7
    starfall said:
    Mburn7 said:
    starfall said:
    Mburn7 said:

I started playing Vivien in the latest Bo4t specifically as a 'land matters' PW, on level 2-1, but Wrenn and Six certainly won't be replacing that niche.
    Hmm, I usually prefer Karn for gates decks in PvE because of how nicely his ult and mana gains work with it.
    I like Ob and Sarkhan for gate decks. Karn deck slots are too valuable to waste on PvE :)
    Oh, I don't use deck slots on PvE.  I just make it fresh every time lol.  Takes an extra 2 min or something (gates deck is really easy to build).  I actually have over a million runes and keep forgetting to buy the runes deck slots because I pretty much never think to use them.

Back on topic:  Wrenn and Six seem like yet another kind of ok niche walker who I will tell every noob I meet not to purchase, but one that I will probably end up getting a couple months after release, build 1 really fun deck in that niche that I will use for a week, and then never play with again.  Is that a problem?  I'll let you decide!
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    edited August 2019
    *Updated to Final Release Notes. Added additional bug fix:
    • Players are no longer able to claim event rewards based on the rank of a new Coalition they join, instead of the rewards based on the Coalition they were in when participating in the event.
    3.7 is currently available on Google Play store, and is in the process of going live on iOS store.