New LT package

Team_Jacob
Team_Jacob Posts: 90 Match Maker
5 LT tokens, 5 cp for the alliance and ~$50 USD worth of HP for $75 USD.

Anyone biting? It seems reasonable ish, but I think they gave us the same deal with the 5* strange cover in June.

Comments

• AndiTi
    AndiTi Posts: 127 Tile Toppler
    edited August 2019
    IIRC, it was a costume rather than a cover.

It's not a bad deal if you are in the market. Doubt I will pull the trigger. $75 is a bit more than I want to spend right now, especially since there hasn't been much to spend HP/CP/LT on lately.

• bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,729 Chairperson of the Boards
    The Thor costume deal was as follows:

Thunder costume for Gladiathor - $74.99 bundle included 75 CP and 15K HP.  Offered 12/20 to 12/23/18.

So that's equal to 3 LTs....many pointed out then that the costume was essentially "free" as the value of the CP and HP took up all of the $74.99.

Some more recent costume bundles had 5 special Legendary Store tokens included with the costume.

Now they have a bundle with no extra dress-up PNG but more resources (approximately) for the same amount of money, and it's a bad sign?  I'm not buying this stuff but it seems like this is approximately equal to past bundles without including the extra value of art content.

It is (I think) true that this is one of (the best?) bundle of resources they have put together for this price (depends how you value each resource) but I honestly don't see that much difference between selling this bundle without any special art to dress your character in, and selling a costume bundle with 5 tokens.
  • Projectus2501
    Projectus2501 Posts: 218 Tile Toppler
    jackstar0 said:
    Straight selling LLs seems like a bad sign.
    Why?
  • jackstar0
    jackstar0 Posts: 1,280 Chairperson of the Boards
    jackstar0 said:
    Why?
    I'm looking at it from a perspective of why are they making this offer. Are they trying to push some non-spenders into spenders? Trying to give spenders a little more for their money? I am skeptical of the strategy behind this sale. Maybe their data will prove me wrong and that this is a success on whatever metric they are judging such things. I just see this as removing the pretense of costumes or other elements and just saying "Hey players, we have a cash grab here for ya!" I am certainly reading into it, and could be way off, but for me it has an air of desperation.
  • BoyWonder1914
    BoyWonder1914 Posts: 884 Critical Contributor
    jackstar0 said:
    jackstar0 said:
    Why?
    I'm looking at it from a perspective of why are they making this offer. Are they trying to push some non-spenders into spenders? Trying to give spenders a little more for their money? I am skeptical of the strategy behind this sale. Maybe their data will prove me wrong and that this is a success on whatever metric they are judging such things. I just see this as removing the pretense of costumes or other elements and just saying "Hey players, we have a cash grab here for ya!" I am certainly reading into it, and could be way off, but for me it has an air of desperation.
    I think I actually see where you're coming from. The game has been "free to play, but pay to win faster" for as long as I can remember. IMO the only thing that's keeping it at pay to win FASTER, as opposed to pay to win NOW is that you can't directly buy CP and LLs. If that all of a sudden changes and people can just dip into the Latests and Classics as much as their wallet allows as opposed to as much as their earned resources allow, then well.....I don't think you need me to finish. 
  • Neuromancer
    Neuromancer Posts: 203 Tile Toppler
    To compare, you could buy that deal, or you could buy Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 and have enough leftover to get a sammich.

That deal aches. Bring me a better gameplay experience through an expansion for that price. They routinely overvalue all of their resources.
  • CharlieCroker
    CharlieCroker Posts: 254 Mover and Shaker
    jackstar0 said:
    jackstar0 said:
    Why?
    I think I actually see where you're coming from. The game has been "free to play, but pay to win faster" for as long as I can remember. IMO the only thing that's keeping it at pay to win FASTER, as opposed to pay to win NOW is that you can't directly buy CP and LLs. If that all of a sudden changes and people can just dip into the Latests and Classics as much as their wallet allows as opposed to as much as their earned resources allow, then well.....I don't think you need me to finish. 
    There have been buy clubs since they introduced +7cp for each member of an alliance whenever you bought a Stark Salary or the Iso equivalent.

This offer doesn't really change anything there, it's just a short term cash grab that in my opinion is better for the buyer than a regular Stark Club where the primary motivation for most buyers is the +140cp (whereas with this buy you'll get 100cp + 5 Legendary's for less cost).  You could also argue it's better for a solo buyer as you're effectively exchanging 11000HP for the LT's and other resources (and again at a discount compared to a Stark).

I haven't been in a buy room for a while, but I'd imagine they'll see decent business from this offer, both from regular buyers who will see this as good value and opportunistic buyers.  Not sure if this is limited to only one buy - if not I wouldn't be surprised to see multi buys running too ala Amazon Day or HP sales.
  • Captain_Carlman
    Captain_Carlman Posts: 208 Tile Toppler
    jackstar0 said:
    jackstar0 said:
    Why?

Plus, when Latest Legends tokens were first announced, didn't they say there was "no way to buy them" and they "could only be earned through gameplay"?
  • Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,699 Chairperson of the Boards
    It's a fine offer, but I prefer deals where I know what cover(s) I am getting. Granted, those deals often mean I DON'T buy them because I don't need covers for the character they picked (ex. RHulk), but it's just a hefty price tag for a total unknown. 
  • DyingLegend
    DyingLegend Posts: 1,203 Chairperson of the Boards
    This isnt a microtransaction, it's a macrotransaction.

This type of offer does nothing for me. Having most 4 stars completed and having the worst 5 star pull odds lately this doesn't move the needle for me at all. 

Hero coins are easily obtained ( once you have enough roster slots it just builds up) 
    Iso is easily obtained (24k is like a week's worth of playing casually) 
    Red iso I don't use because I don't need supports, they do nothing for me. 
    5 CP is easily earned from Deadpool and pve

If this was 15 bucks, sure, but 75 bucks is a bit much. I just bought the Shadow Keep expansion for that much and that's a whole game. 75 bucks here does little to nothing to help make my roster better or more competitive. 

• Palookaville
    Palookaville Posts: 83 Match Maker
    edited August 2019
    I don't understand how anyone can say that the price for this bundle is "reasonable" 

It's not as outrageously priced as most extras in MPQ (but it is still incredibly expensive)  However, compared to the real world, with real world prices, there is no way, shape or form that $75 is "reasonable" for the *chance* to get a good card in a phone game.
  • ursopro
    ursopro Posts: 334 Mover and Shaker
    OJSP said:
    I don't understand how anyone can say that the price for this bundle is "reasonable" 
    That's due to the effect of "anchoring".
    I saw that video a few weeks ago and I was: "ooooohhhhh, so that's how it works"
  • Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,699 Chairperson of the Boards

It's not as outrageously priced as most extras in MPQ (but it is still incredibly expensive)  However, compared to the real world, with real world prices, there is no way, shape or form that $75 is "reasonable" for the *chance* to get a good card in a phone game.
    Context is everything. We're not calling the offer reasonable relative to nothing. We're calling it reasonable relative to previous offers. One thousand pennies is a lot of pennies, but not a lot of money.
  • Team_Jacob
    Team_Jacob Posts: 90 Match Maker
    I would only consider it reasonable in the context of, "I'm the sort of person who will occasionally buy a stark salary". If say you're making minimum wage and have a broken car, this would be a completely unreasonable purchase. 

Honestly, for the past three months, if I see a purchase I'm tempted by, I normally just put the equivalent amount of money into robinhood. Even if the stock market crashed, at least I'll have something ten years from now to look at.
  • A_Wise_Man
    A_Wise_Man Posts: 153 Tile Toppler
    jackstar0 said:
    jackstar0 said:
    Why?

Plus, when Latest Legends tokens were first announced, didn't they say there was "no way to buy them" and they "could only be earned through gameplay"?
    That's never been true, though.  I mean, you couldn't directly buy them but you could buy HP and open 40 packs and get 1 LT for it with no champion rewards cause they didn't exist yet.  Still, a couple players spent thousands of dollars on 40 packs to get silver surfer covered way back when.
  • LavaManLee
    LavaManLee Posts: 1,414 Chairperson of the Boards
    To each their own.  Not sure how many are roller coaster fans, but Cedar Point just offered a season pass yesterday for $99 that includes the rest of this year and next year, both the theme park AND the water park as well as parking.

Obviously, not everyone here lives close enough to Cedar Point or even cares about roller coasters.  However, in the big scheme of things, it does show what $99 can be worth vs the $74.99 for the package that just expired.
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,729 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited August 2019
    Oh no!  It expired? Gee whiz. 

I guess that protest has ended.