Which powers do you think are the most thematically fitting?

PuceMoose
PuceMoose Posts: 1,445 Chairperson of the Boards
edited July 2019 in MPQ General Discussion
It could be the artwork and/or the sound for the animation, the power description, the effect, or a combination of all three. Even if it's not a particularly good power in terms of efficiency, damage, or utility, it might be a great fit for the character. Some powers just make you think "Yeh! That's exactly what so-and-so would do in the comics/movies!" Here's a couple of my favorites. Please share yours!

4* Rocket & Groot - Don't Push This Button
The artwork is fun, and the power is fitting for the character - Baby Groot is in charge of this bomb, and might well do stupid things (matching the countdown, matching valuable friendly tiles, etc.) I also like the fact that the description mentions "At the start of each turn, Groot makes a match for you", instead of Rocket & Groot makes a match for you. It reinforces the idea that it's baby Groot running around doing all of this stuff, potentially causing chaos on the battlefield.

Jessica Jones - Damning Evidence
I love the idea of her hunting for dirt on her enemies, and if only she can connect the dots (match the evidence), she'll catch the perpetrator in a truly compromising position. The traps that she can't see makes it look like clues that are just out of reach, and the fact that her "enemy" can see the traps conjures a great image of the bad guy trying to destroy incriminating evidence by "matching the evidence" away. Plus, the great camera shot and cool camera flash sound effect always makes me smile (unless it's an enemy Jessica matching three traps in one match *groan*) Also, the "have X blue AP to get a lead on the subject" is clever - she's tailing the subject, and if you gather enough information you'll be one step closer to busting the bad guy.

Comments

• Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    I find 2*/3* Thor to be one of the simplest, yet accurate methods of conveying the character. The storm gathers with red, which feeds some yellow. Upon getting yellow he gathers energy with green...and then unleashes all.

Good thematic moveset.
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 10,101 Chairperson of the Boards
    3* Cyclops - his optic blasts are solar powered in the comics and so having the yellow represent the sun be able to generate the battery AP to fire the red is nice. I also like that his black is an extreme measure as he rips off the goggles and it presumably is "black" for him as he can't see with all the energy pouring out.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,388 Chairperson of the Boards
    Implementation details aside, 5* Banner's transformation to the hulk and then taking an auto-turn for you that invariably makes the board position worse is pretty on-brand for that Hulk.

Domino's % chance of incoming tiles being black is a great way to represent the luck power

4* Kingpin's goon summon and subsequent sacrificing feels pretty on-brand as well

Penance Stare on 4* Ghost Rider is exactly perfect, down to the mega skull animation.
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    Overdrive: Perfectly represents the kind of desperate measures you need to turn to if you're going to beat the Hulk.
  • skittledaddy
    skittledaddy Posts: 984 Critical Contributor
    In general, I think they do a REALLY good job at making the moves thematically appropriate (even if it is sometimes to the detriment of the character's play-value in the game).
    I'm sure the devs look at this first when developing a new char and maintain it as their priority when making decisions. At the time I can't think of any that are outright horrible and that in and of itself is a victory.
  • MegaBee
    MegaBee Posts: 1,018 Chairperson of the Boards
    Juggernaut's Unstoppable Crash and Headbutt 
  • n25philly
    n25philly Posts: 426 Mover and Shaker
    Implementation details aside, 5* Banner's transformation to the hulk and then taking an auto-turn for you that invariably makes the board position worse is pretty on-brand for that Hulk.

Domino's % chance of incoming tiles being black is a great way to represent the luck power

4* Kingpin's goon summon and subsequent sacrificing feels pretty on-brand as well

Penance Stare on 4* Ghost Rider is exactly perfect, down to the mega skull animation.
    I'm going to disagree on Domino as I feel that one is a big miss.  I would have really made her something unpredictable and kind of a pain to play against.  I would have given her a passive where any power directly targeting her always misses (since that is pretty much what her powers would do) but have it hit any other random character in the battle.  Then I'd giver her some kind of damage reduction (since she would never be unlucky enough to take full damage. Lastly I would give her one offensive ability where she of course makes a perfect shot and does good damage.  I would be a lot more fun and be more reflective of the character as her luck powers deal with her not getting hit as much as just shooting stuff.
  • randomhero1090
    randomhero1090 Posts: 396 Mover and Shaker
    CM5's powers/animations fit very well with the movie.  They are actually "good" powers, just too expensive and/or ruined by CDs.  Take your pick or both :smile:

• ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,388 Chairperson of the Boards
    n25philly said:

I'm going to disagree on Domino as I feel that one is a big miss.  I would have really made her something unpredictable and kind of a pain to play against.  I would have given her a passive where any power directly targeting her always misses (since that is pretty much what her powers would do) but have it hit any other random character in the battle.  Then I'd giver her some kind of damage reduction (since she would never be unlucky enough to take full damage. Lastly I would give her one offensive ability where she of course makes a perfect shot and does good damage.  I would be a lot more fun and be more reflective of the character as her luck powers deal with her not getting hit as much as just shooting stuff.
    I can respect that take, but I do think Domino's current build is really consistent if you take damage reduction/health out of the picture. Her green sneakily makes use of her black to set up her red, which in turn sets up that red again by keeping new tiles falling into frame. The preponderance of black on the board means you become increasingly likely to generate match 4s or 5s over time, and there are loads of good black nukes out there in the game. It's a pretty nuanced offense build really. 

She fits in well with the other X-Force 4*s (deadpool and xfw) for a ridiculous board shake team, which is always nice to see even though they don't have explicit synergy like some other team characters do.

Domino/Professor X/Nightcrawler is super fun if you haven't tried to run it. Prioritize Bamf!, and any match-5 blacks will generate Purple depending on your character levels (or give Prof X/Nighcrawler a Destroyer gun 2* or better). 
  • n25philly
    n25philly Posts: 426 Mover and Shaker
    I didn't say she was bad, just a bit boring.  Then again she's a new character so I only have a few covers on her so maybe some day down the line I'll get to see something from her that I am missing
  • fiirst
    fiirst Posts: 438 Mover and Shaker
    I like Blackcat green power 's cutscene.
  • Captain_Carlman
    Captain_Carlman Posts: 208 Tile Toppler
    I like 3* Dr. Doom's Diabolical Plot, the way a trap tile is placed at the beginning of each turn, representing him coming up with a cunning plan to take out his foe.  Then when all the pieces fall into place (i.e. you get the necessary purple AP), the plan comes to fruition and they meet their fate at the hand of Doom!
  • ejmus
    ejmus Posts: 55 Match Maker
    5DD Yellow is appropriate for him getting knocked down and keeps getting back up and hitting harder.

Hawkeye's arrows.

Thanos Court Death.

On the opposite end (least appropriate): Okoye's true healing...
  • SymmeTrey
    SymmeTrey Posts: 170 Tile Toppler
    edited July 2019
    Hitman - Covering Fire

Covering Fire destroys random non-countdown yellow and blue tiles. Hitman and the Maggia goons put down countdowns on yellow and blue. Covering Fire makes it harder for you to match away the yellow and blue countdowns by destroying the other yellow and blue on the board. It's almost like the Hitman, is indeed, providing cover fire for his Maggia buddies.

• spidyjedi84
    spidyjedi84 Posts: 514 Critical Contributor
    3* Spider-Man's When the Going Gets Tough.

Especially that it does more damage with the fewer teammates Spider-Man has left standing. Thematically, that is very comics accurate to the character, for as much as he's teamed up with others, he does so much better when his back is against the wall.