Are you all ready....for 4* or 5* Yelena?!

zonatahunt
zonatahunt Posts: 251 Mover and Shaker
I feel ashamed even saying it, but one of the worst-ever characters will realistically come to MPQ in a shiny new 4* or 5* package when the Black Widow movie comes out.  Hopefully we’ll also get a NON-limited Taskmaster (still fuming over that), and NOT another BW variant.  Do you think I’m nuts?  I hope so.

Comments

• jamesh
    jamesh Posts: 1,600 Chairperson of the Boards

Given that Yelena didn't really appear in the Dark Reign storyline the current version is based on (it was Natasha in disguise), sure.

It'd be kind of amusing if they did a lazy 5* version with the exact same powers as the 1* version though...

• Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'd love it if what we got was a character rebalance for Yelena.
  • CNash
    CNash Posts: 952 Critical Contributor
    edited July 2019
    jamesh said:

Given that Yelena didn't really appear in the Dark Reign storyline the current version is based on (it was Natasha in disguise), sure.

It'd be kind of amusing if they did a lazy 5* version with the exact same powers as the 1* version though...

This is what annoyed me about the game’s original setting. It was meant to be based on the Dark Reign storyline but got almost everything wrong, from the characterisation to the storyline. Clearly they just wanted to use the “Dark Avengers” concept and team and didn’t want the rest of the baggage that the 616 universe was mired in at the time (like the aftermath of Civil War with many of the original Avengers operating as outlaws and vigilantes).

It’s particularly telling that Iron Patriot was, by all accounts, meant to appear in the mobile game - presumably as part of an “ending” event to wrap up the Dark Reign storyline. Instead he was quietly shelved,  only making an appearance in the console versions.

The weirdest part about the whole thing is why they chose to use Dark Reign as a setting at all, given that by the time of the game’s release it was long since over - and it wasn’t a particularly beloved storyline even in hindsight. At best it’s a bridge between Civil War and the “refresh” of Heroic Age.
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,729 Chairperson of the Boards
    CNash said:
    jamesh said:

This is what annoyed me about the game’s original setting. It was meant to be based on the Dark Reign storyline but got almost everything wrong, from the characterisation to the storyline. Clearly they just wanted to use the “Dark Avengers” concept and team and didn’t want the rest of the baggage that the 616 universe was mired in at the time (like the aftermath of Civil War with many of the original Avengers operating as outlaws and vigilantes).

It’s particularly telling that Iron Patriot was, by all accounts, meant to appear in the mobile game - presumably as part of an “ending” event to wrap up the Dark Reign storyline. Instead he was quietly shelved,  only making an appearance in the console versions.

The weirdest part about the whole thing is why they chose to use Dark Reign as a setting at all, given that by the time of the game’s release it was long since over - and it wasn’t a particularly beloved storyline even in hindsight. At best it’s a bridge between Civil War and the “refresh” of Heroic Age.
    I haven't spent a lot of time wondering "Why Dark Avengers?" before, as I joined the game about a year or so in.  But one good reason is that the Dark Avengers were both truly/mostly villains and posed as heroes, so all of them can arguably be run by the player in Story nodes and wouldn't have felt that out of place in terms of "Why am I using the bad guys?"  Later on, of course, the 3 tier introduced a few true villains, but the Dark Avengers framework isn't the absolute worst idea in terms of allowing the devs to launch with the ability to use a small number of characters flexibly.
  • Falconfreak
    Falconfreak Posts: 119 Tile Toppler
    I actually really enjoyed the Dark Avengers and Dark Reign. One of the reasons I always loved Thunderbolts was the concept of the bad guys trying to redeem themselves or at least appearing to do so.
  • Waddles_Pines
    Waddles_Pines Posts: 1,221 Chairperson of the Boards
    Isn't the biggest mystery regarding 1* Yelena is why does she get the "limited" tag.  If only the other "limited" character covers flowed as freely as Yelena... (looking at you Tasky...)
  • Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,699 Chairperson of the Boards
    If she looks anything like Florence Pugh, heck to the yeah.

*I know they prob can't use the actor's likeness. This was just me fanboying a little over Florence Pugh.
  • dokiy
    dokiy Posts: 238 Tile Toppler
    Isn't the biggest mystery regarding 1* Yelena is why does she get the "limited" tag.  If only the other "limited" character covers flowed as freely as Yelena... (looking at you Tasky...)
    Because she sucked so bad the devs limited her way back in the day.  :D
  • PiMacleod
    PiMacleod Posts: 1,770 Chairperson of the Boards
    But I love her black (not it's cost)...

If we could get a decently balanced cost effective version of her black power... Man, that'd be cool.
  • sambrookjm
    sambrookjm Posts: 2,157 Chairperson of the Boards
    PiMacleod said:
    But I love her black (not it's cost)...

If we could get a decently balanced cost effective version of her black power... Man, that'd be cool.
    Her two powers are both quite nice.  If they were each about 4 AP cheaper, they would be far more reasonably priced.