Suggestion for Training Grounds

Options
arNero
arNero Posts: 358 Mover and Shaker
edited July 2019 in MtGPQ General Discussion
Some changes that I would like to propose for the Training Grounds:

1) Reward the 10 crystals per day after winning the FIRST MATCH, not the fourth.
2) Reward 300 Runes per win instead of a measly 100
3) Give 20 XP for card mastery per win instead of 6.

This will reduce the number of daily games needed to be played to get the baseline daily reward (that 20 crystals, at least) by 6, cushioning the impact of having way too many events crammed in any given day. As for the increase in Runes and XP reward, this is so that players who care about that can play as many TGs as they want and get rewarded with a lot of runes and mastery.

If you ask me why, look at the disastrous fiasco this weekend.

First, Friday. Two Training Grounds, a Rising Tension, a Trial of the Plnes. That is already grindy enough. Then you cram in Fate is Unfair AND Journey Through History, adding at least 20+ games into a single day in a game where each match can last forever.

Then Saturday. You give us this **** show WAR event which is grindy as hell (hello 500HP boss with too many kill spells and stupid objectives)... I read somewhere around here how someone is having a hard time finishing a match in 30 minutes. One match. 30 minutes. Wow.

Then today. You duped the Training Grounds, while this stupid grindy event is still ongoing.

This game is starting to really look like a job now, a job where we don't get paid, not even with FUN because the RNG sucks, the card balance sucks, the crash-happy game client sucks, long matches suck....

PS: In case you care, yes, I have even skipped quite a few Training Grounds on some days thanks to this grindiness.

Comments

• Tremayne
    Tremayne Posts: 1,612 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    @arNero - good suggestions.

However, don’t you think that this is the opposite of what D3 wants? They have shown a tendency of not handing out ingame currencies without the players making an (huge) effort for it. D3 want users to log in as often as possible and D3 also want on-screen time to be as high as possible, come hell or high water.

I think that until you accept your motivations are at odds with D3’s goal, (and adjust you way of playing accordingly) you will be shouting to a brick wall. If you are a completionist or otherwise have a compulsive nature (e.g. must have all free stuff/play all events), you might consider if this is the game for you.

Not advocating anyone to leave, but advising anyone to take local conditions into consideration. 
  • Theros
    Theros Posts: 490 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Tremayne said:
    @arNero - good suggestions.

However, don’t you think that this is the opposite of what D3 wants? They have shown a tendency of not handing out ingame currencies without the players making an (huge) effort for it. D3 want users to log in as often as possible and D3 also want on-screen time to be as high as possible, come hell or high water.

I think that until you accept your motivations are at odds with D3’s goal, (and adjust you way of playing accordingly) you will be shouting to a brick wall. If you are a completionist or otherwise have a compulsive nature (e.g. must have all free stuff/play all events), you might consider if this is the game for you.

Not advocating anyone to leave, but advising anyone to take local conditions into consideration. 
    Rewarding the 10 crystals after the first win already fulfill their objective of making players log in as often as possible.
    The way TG is actually detrimental as explained by nero. 
    I'm not the only one who skips TGs to focus on more important events or just skip them cause the time is not worth the effort.

• Tremayne
    Options
    @Theros - I do not think that D3 want to change their view on TG. Why, they don’t want to, is anyone’s guess. My point is, that it is up to the players to do want they think is good for themselves into confines of MTGPQ, because D3 seems very adamant in their direction.
  • Volrak
    Volrak Posts: 732 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I don't regard TG as being part of a "baseline" reward that I "need" to collect each day.  You can certainly treat it that way if you choose to, but that's never been its purpose.  Its purpose is a place outside of "real" events for players to test out new deck ideas.

When TG was first introduced, D3 said "we want this to be a low-stress environment where you can test your decks against other opponents."  (I think that initially, TG awarded only runes, and no crystals.)

When Standard and Legacy were introduced, TG initially alternated between Standard and Legacy formats on different days, and that compromised its purpose.  That same purpose is why the players requested, and D3 agreed, to make both Standard and Legacy TG to run each day.
  • Stalker
    Stalker Posts: 141 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Volrak said:
    I don't regard TG as being part of a "baseline" reward that I "need" to collect each day.  You can certainly treat it that way if you choose to, but that's never been its purpose.  Its purpose is a place outside of "real" events for players to test out new deck ideas.

When TG was first introduced, D3 said "we want this to be a low-stress environment where you can test your decks against other opponents."  (I think that initially, TG awarded only runes, and no crystals.)

When Standard and Legacy were introduced, TG initially alternated between Standard and Legacy formats on different days, and that compromised its purpose.  That same purpose is why the players requested, and D3 agreed, to make both Standard and Legacy TG to run each day.
    Then the simpler thing to do would be to remove the crystals as rewards. This will fix all the negatives and make it much easier for a large portion of players to skip or only use when bored or testing
  • Tremayne
    Options
    @stalker - isn’t that a bad idea to remove the MC? New players need to get something to get started on their collection.
  • ArielSira
    ArielSira Posts: 490 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    After all the suggestions, requests and complaints you'll see this is the one they'll implement
  • Stalker
    Stalker Posts: 141 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Tremayne said:
    @stalker - isn’t that a bad idea to remove the MC? New players need to get something to get started on their collection.
    You would think that. they have made it clear that vip is the direct route to in game progress and tg has become too grindy on top of all other daily tasks and events. Going off their past patterns I foresee them removing the crystals, not front loading them like it should be. 
  • Theros
    Theros Posts: 490 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Stalker said:
    Tremayne said:
    You would think that. they have made it clear that vip is the direct route to in game progress and tg has become too grindy on top of all other daily tasks and events. Going off their past patterns I foresee them removing the crystals, not front loading them like it should be. 
    It's true that TG was intended for testing only but it was also a viable way to get resources. 
    Initially 2 TGs was erroneous  and the argument given at that time didn't add up to many of us
    https://forums.d3go.com/discussion/75598/training-grounds-standard-and-legacy/p1
    Brigby said:
    Hi Everyone. We're glad that you're enjoying having both Standard and Legacy Training Grounds running at the same time, however I'm afraid this was in fact a happy mistake.

Unfortunately we're still unable to have both events running at the same time moving forward. This is due to the event/server infrastructure still having not reached a level yet where the team is comfortable with having both events run at the same time each day alongside other events.

They are certainly working on it though, as the the team does hope that this can be the case at some point in the future.

My argument was that they were unwilling to give 30 crystals a day and we were told that giving 15 crystals for each TG was not a problem which implied  certainly not a reason why they couldn't offer 2 TGs.
    https://forums.d3go.com/discussion/76904/3-2-release-notes-updated-1-22-19/p4

Fast forward we got 2TGs but less crystals and more effort instead of the expected 15 crystals/each TG.

You're right, TG is meant for deck testing and not to get resources otherwise they would not have nerfed the crystals. So it shouldn't be unexpected to see the 10 crystals removed in the future. Otherwise the current structure will remain unchanged.
    Its also a matter of time before VIP gets some share of nerfs as more people take advantage of the non dupe feature. We may also foresee the standard packs from player levels to be nerfed

• greenmeanie
    greenmeanie Posts: 123 Tile Toppler
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Training grounds is intended to try out new decks and pws.  It wasn't intended to be grinded every day.  I will go weeks without going to TR.  Then will hit it maybe for a week and nothing again.  I'm not playing TR for the rewards.
  • mayor
    mayor Posts: 57 Match Maker
    Options
    I would be happy if they could just increase the XP gain to 20.