Why is 4* Mysterio a hero?

Steve111
Steve111 Posts: 160 Tile Toppler
edited July 2019 in MPQ General Discussion
I thought he was a member of the Sinister Six. That doesn’t seem like much of a hero. Why not add the tag ‘Villian’ and ‘Sinister Six’ and remove the tag ‘Hero’.

Also if you see the Far From Home film all the way through, he is not the hero in the film. Just saying. This baffles me. 

//Added spoiler tag -Brigby

Comments

• Captain_Carlman
    Captain_Carlman Posts: 208 Tile Toppler
    Probably the same reason Talos is marked as "villain", even though that turned out differently in Captain Marvel as well.
  • Sm0keyJ0e
    Sm0keyJ0e Posts: 730 Critical Contributor
    There are a number of characters in the Marvel lore that are both heroes and villains at different points and through alternate storytelling. 
  • tiomono
    tiomono Posts: 1,654 Chairperson of the Boards
    He is the mcu mysterio. All the promotional material for the movie set him up as a hero alongside spiderman. Hence the designation of hero on a character developed before the movie was released.

Traditionally though, mysterio is a villain. Old man Logan would most definitely agree on that.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    It's an order by Marvel, I think.
  • Kahmon
    Kahmon Posts: 625 Critical Contributor
    edited July 2019
    Steve111 said:
    I thought he was a member of the Sinister Six. That doesn’t seem like much of a hero. Why not add the tag ‘Villian’ and ‘Sinister Six’ and remove the tag ‘Hero’. 
    And while at it, change the "Stealth Suit" costume to Night Monkey costume.

**Mod note: Added spoiler tag for minor spoiler- fight4thedream

• Freelancer
    Freelancer Posts: 122 Tile Toppler
    edited July 2019
    In my opinion, Far From Home would have been so much better if, in all the marketing, promotional material and press releases, Jake Gyllenhaal's character was never referred to as, and didn't visually resemble, Mysterio.

If they had built it up for him to be a brand new hero, the 'Bar' scene (which, as I know who Mysterio is, was completely expected and had been waiting for) would have had a much bigger payoff, so much more impact. I saw the film with my Sister. She had no idea who Mysterio was as an existing character, and I heard her loudly gasp during the 'Bar' scene. I had to wait until the credits scenes for my 'gasp' moments! 

**Mode note: Added spoiler tag- fight4thedream

• fight4thedream
    fight4thedream GLOBAL_MODERATORS Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
    ***Mod Mode: ON***

Just a friendly reminder that the movie Spider-man: Far From Home has only recently be released so please be kind and use the spoiler tag function when discussing information that may be considered a spoiler. Thank you.

***Mod Mode: OFF***
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited July 2019
    Also, right now Loki is a hero and wielding the hammer in the comics, they are who they need to be to fit the storyline. 

https://images.app.goo.gl/XXFbCUqhu65AkkyC6 
  • GrimSkald
    GrimSkald Posts: 2,580 Chairperson of the Boards
    I haven't seen "Far from Home" yet, but I'm familiar enough with the comics lore to never seriously entertain the notion that Mysterio would actually be a hero.  It'd be different with a more sympathetic villain, like, say, Magneto, but Mysterio is an utterly amoral slimeball.  Heck, he tried to get Daredevil to murder a baby once.

I know the promotional material leaned into it, but Freelancer is right - if they really wanted to surprise us then they should have avoided any promotional material that referred to him or had him resemble the comic book Mysterio.

Here's a counter example - spoiler for Jessica Jones Season 1
    I'm referring specifically to Officer Simpson.  When he was laid up in a hospital bed, looked at the Spec Ops doctor and said "Give me a red," I literally sat bolt upright on the couch and said, "Oh!  Oh my G-d!"  I instantly recognized him as the Daredevil character "Nuke."  Simpson didn't really resemble Nuke (he didn't have a flag tattooed on his face,) but that reference was absolutely prime.

• JackTenrec
    JackTenrec Posts: 808 Critical Contributor
    To be fair, MPQ already has its own Sinister Six, and Mysterio showed up too late.
  • ZootSax
    ZootSax Posts: 1,819 Chairperson of the Boards
    GrimSkald said:
    ...  Heck, he tried to get Daredevil to murder a baby once.
    Ever since I acquired the Hope Summers support, MPQ has taught me that no "hero" is above attacking a baby, even if she was accompanied by a young girl or a man in a wheelchair.   Perhaps the game recognizes that Mysterio was just trying to get Daredevil to accept his own nature and be true to himself.  That makes him the true hero...
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    GrimSkald said:
    I haven't seen "Far from Home" yet, but I'm familiar enough with the comics lore to never seriously entertain the notion that Mysterio would actually be a hero.  It'd be different with a more sympathetic villain, like, say, Magneto, but Mysterio is an utterly amoral slimeball.  Heck, he tried to get Daredevil to murder a baby once.

I know the promotional material leaned into it, but Freelancer is right - if they really wanted to surprise us then they should have avoided any promotional material that referred to him or had him resemble the comic book Mysterio.

Here's a counter example - spoiler for Jessica Jones Season 1
    I'm referring specifically to Officer Simpson.  When he was laid up in a hospital bed, looked at the Spec Ops doctor and said "Give me a red," I literally sat bolt upright on the couch and said, "Oh!  Oh my G-d!"  I instantly recognized him as the Daredevil character "Nuke."  Simpson didn't really resemble Nuke (he didn't have a flag tattooed on his face,) but that reference was absolutely prime.

Yeah, that was an absolutely brilliant moment in JJ s1. Could probably do a whole class on how to use this sort of twist with an existing character just based on that scene and the set up for it.
  • GreenArmadillo
    GreenArmadillo Posts: 21 Just Dropped In
    What is up with all these Mysterio truthers? We have all seen video of his heroic deeds in the trailers, but people keep posting conspiracy theories dating back to a comic book by some guys named Stan Lee and Steve Ditko in 1964.
  • Yepyep
    Yepyep Posts: 952 Critical Contributor
    Sm0keyJ0e said:
    There are a number of characters in the Marvel lore that are both heroes and villains at different points and through alternate storytelling. 
    This -- as far as I can tell, it seems that practically EVERY character flips the tao from good-to-bad, bad-to-good, or both at some point over their careers. And multiple times in many cases...
  • LavaManLee
    LavaManLee Posts: 1,414 Chairperson of the Boards
    Mysterio isn't one of those who flip-flops.  He has always been a villain who sometimes wants to position himself as a hero.  This is a nice quick read with good info on his history:

https://www.marvel.com/articles/comics/meet-mysterio