R182 Release Notes (7/10/19)

Brigby
Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
Hi Everyone,

Here are the Release Notes for the R182 update!

182!
  •  "Transparent"
What's Changed:

Comments

• Polly_P1
    Polly_P1 Posts: 99 Match Maker
    On Apple IOS the clue was “the taxman cometh!”  Are they different clues to 1 character or 2 clues to 2 characters?
  • Waddles_Pines
    Waddles_Pines Posts: 1,221 Chairperson of the Boards
    Glob Herman?
  • MrEd95
    MrEd95 Posts: 280 Mover and Shaker
    Definitely a 5* Iceman. 

He is transparent, an accountant, and there is a play called “The Iceman Cometh”

I don’t really see who else it could be. 

I just hope hope he doesn’t look creepy
  • JHawkInc
    JHawkInc Posts: 2,604 Chairperson of the Boards
    Polly_P1 said:
    On Apple IOS the clue was “the taxman cometh!”  Are they different clues to 1 character or 2 clues to 2 characters?
    Probably 2 clues to the same character.

The Apple iOS clue is a double-reference, both to the title of the play "The Iceman Cometh", and possibly a side-reference to the fact that Bobby Drake (Iceman) went to college to study accounting.

Ice is, obviously, Transparent. So an Iceman 5* release fits both clues, and the release pattern.

FINALLY it looks like we're getting a 616 Iceman. Snowball doesn't count because he's one of the time-displaced X-Men (like Teen Jean). A glaring omission fixed at last. Alongside Sabretooth and Magik (and a powerhouse Storm variant) in 2019, and a good handful last fall as well (Dazzler, Kitty, Cable, Bishop, Domino) we're whittling away at the few that remain. Still have some heroes that could be added (it's the X-Men, they'll ALWAYS have someone left that could be added), but less and less that make you think "Where on earth is this one?"
  • jackstar0
    jackstar0 Posts: 1,280 Chairperson of the Boards
    Getting a 5* Iceman really grows my desire for a 5* Firestar.

Angelica needs her profile raised!
  • jamesh
    jamesh Posts: 1,600 Chairperson of the Boards
    JHawkInc said:
    FINALLY it looks like we're getting a 616 Iceman. Snowball doesn't count because he's one of the time-displaced X-Men (like Teen Jean).
    Didn't they tie up that story by saying all the time displaced X-Men actually were the real Earth-616 X-Men?
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 10,101 Chairperson of the Boards
    Well if it is a 5* Iceman they have their work cut out to live up to how good the Creepy Bobby version is.
  • JHawkInc
    JHawkInc Posts: 2,604 Chairperson of the Boards
    jamesh said:
    JHawkInc said:
    FINALLY it looks like we're getting a 616 Iceman. Snowball doesn't count because he's one of the time-displaced X-Men (like Teen Jean).
    Didn't they tie up that story by saying all the time displaced X-Men actually were the real Earth-616 X-Men?
    Yeah, that's my bad. Technically they're both 616, but I've got a habit of referring to the modern/adult versions as 616 because the teens used to have their own world designation (Earth TRN something, easier to just call them "Teen"), even though that was a mis-direct (because X-Men comics have to be complicated) and they're actually all 616. My initial complaint still stands, though it should be rephrased as "We didn't have a proper adult Iceman before now."
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    Hoping it is Iceman from Top Gun, 5* Kilmer
  • Waddles_Pines
    jackstar0 said:

Only if she gets a Ms. Lion support ;).
  • Waddles_Pines
    JHawkInc said:
    Polly_P1 said:

The Apple iOS clue is a double-reference, both to the title of the play "The Iceman Cometh", and possibly a side-reference to the fact that Bobby Drake (Iceman) went to college to study accounting.

Ice is, obviously, Transparent. So an Iceman 5* release fits both clues, and the release pattern.

FINALLY it looks like we're getting a 616 Iceman. Snowball doesn't count because he's one of the time-displaced X-Men (like Teen Jean). A glaring omission fixed at last. Alongside Sabretooth and Magik (and a powerhouse Storm variant) in 2019, and a good handful last fall as well (Dazzler, Kitty, Cable, Bishop, Domino) we're whittling away at the few that remain. Still have some heroes that could be added (it's the X-Men, they'll ALWAYS have someone left that could be added), but less and less that make you think "Where on earth is this one?"
    1) when the hell did he have time to go to college?!?! I always thought all of them were just held hostage in Xavier's Mansion... 
    2) when they started rolling out fan faves (especially starting with Dazzler), it sometimes make me think that the end is nigh.  That they're trying to push out every last fave to squeeze every last dime out of the players.  
  • DAZ0273
    jackstar0 said:

We need more than that, we need an entirely new PvE and additional characters! The bad guy has to be Videoman and there needs to be an appearance by Wolverine who will have acquired an Australian accent for some reason. "Hiya Doll, wanna piece of fruit?" :D
  • DAZ0273
    JHawkInc said:
    Polly_P1 said:

1) when the hell did he have time to go to college?!?! I always thought all of them were just held hostage in Xavier's Mansion... 
    2) when they started rolling out fan faves (especially starting with Dazzler), it sometimes make me think that the end is nigh.  That they're trying to push out every last fave to squeeze every last dime out of the players.  
    There is a period between when he leaves the X-men before joining the Defenders that he is enrolled as a student studying accounting. Not sure where his Champions time fits in. It is referenced in this X-Men issue where Bobby is drinking some beer after finishing up an allnight term paper - Prof X tags him to go save the "New" X-Men from Murderworld. Yup, that's right, Prof X recruits drunk Iceman and sends him to a place called "Murderworld". SMH.

• Waddles_Pines
    DAZ0273 said:
    jackstar0 said:

We need more than that, we need an entirely new PvE and additional characters! The bad guy has to be Videoman and there needs to be an appearance by Wolverine who will have acquired an Australian accent for some reason. "Hiya Doll, wanna piece of fruit?" :D
    Yeah, he's gone through many changes over the years.  Let's also go back to the claws being a part of his gauntlet, and when he was actually drawn to be short ;).  
  • jamesh
    jamesh Posts: 1,600 Chairperson of the Boards
    JHawkInc said:
    jamesh said:
    JHawkInc said:
    Yeah, that's my bad. Technically they're both 616, but I've got a habit of referring to the modern/adult versions as 616 because the teens used to have their own world designation (Earth TRN something, easier to just call them "Teen"), even though that was a mis-direct (because X-Men comics have to be complicated) and they're actually all 616. My initial complaint still stands, though it should be rephrased as "We didn't have a proper adult Iceman before now."

It was pretty clear that Brian Michael Bendis intended for them to be independent characters, what with them travelling back in time in the Earth-616 universe and discovering that there were versions of them still present there.  Also the whole cosmic fire wings for Angel.  Later writers had to jump through a lot of hoops to undo all of that, probably on editorial mandate.

As for those "TRN" designations, that is an unofficial system run by the marvel.fandom.com wiki, standing for "temporary reality number".  They use that when they believe a character is an alternate universe version but Marvel hasn't explicitly stated which reality they are from.  So those designations are always subject to change and should be taken with a grain of salt.

• MrEd95
    MrEd95 Posts: 280 Mover and Shaker
    DAZ0273 said:
    JHawkInc said:
    Polly_P1 said:

There is a period between when he leaves the X-men before joining the Defenders that he is enrolled as a student studying accounting. Not sure where his Champions time fits in. It is referenced in this X-Men issue where Bobby is drinking some beer after finishing up an allnight term paper - Prof X tags him to go save the "New" X-Men from Murderworld. Yup, that's right, Prof X recruits drunk Iceman and sends him to a place called "Murderworld". SMH.

Ooh Murderworld! It would be awesome to have a avengers arena event in the game with Arcade as a new boss. We already have x-23 and nico in game too
  • Bzhai
    Bzhai Posts: 488 Mover and Shaker
    So much X-men love we've been getting, thank you!

Hoping to see higher versions of Psylocke and Beast down the line. Though I really wouldn't object if they went down the X-factor, Excalibur, Alpha Flight first. 
  • GreenArmadillo
    GreenArmadillo Posts: 21 Just Dropped In
    Tax day is in the month of April.  The next month is May.  Aunt May confirmed!