So positioning of characters does matter apparently

marvel075
marvel075 Posts: 125 Tile Toppler
When i went into battle, i used my boosted lvl 374 spiderman and my boosted lvl 374 miles morales, since they're the same level, they share the same match damage as well, and since miles was in the middle of my team when i was selecting characters, (which also moves him to the front as soon as you start the battle), his icon took over red and silver tiles, BOTH TIMES that i played with him and spiderman (which i really wanted spiderman to do, since he creates web tiles everytime he matches). BUT come to find out if i put spiderman in the middle of the character selection, he TANKS red and silver tiles, since he was in the middle, instead of being left or right. Idk if its coincidence or not but tell me if that also the case for you guys.

Comments

• CNash
    CNash Posts: 952 Critical Contributor
    That’s right. If characters are tied for match damage, the character in the centre position takes priority, then the left, then the right.
  • marvel075
    marvel075 Posts: 125 Tile Toppler
    edited June 2019
    CNash said:
    That’s right. If characters are tied for match damage, the character in the centre position takes priority, then the left, then the right.
    yeah i had NO IDEA TILL NOW, after all these years.....thats tuff. I thought i was just randomized who takes the icon if it's the same match damage.

• Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    Yeah, it's a lesson they need to teach people somehow.
    Once you know this, you'll arrange your team accordingly in future. Also worth noting that when you're defending in PvP, your team will show up in the order you fought in. So if there's someone you want them to target first from laziness, put them in front.

Example 5* Thor. A lot of people won't bother changing targets when the match starts and will just chip away until they realise they forgot to pay attention to his health and now he's gathering AP with board shake every turn. I know I've done it a few times ¬¬

Or if you're running Kitty and Grocket, it's worth putting Kitty near the back. she's probably going to tank what you need her to tank anyway and if Rocket dies, who cares. You only want him for the strike tiles anyway.
  • Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,495 Chairperson of the Boards
    Its common knowledge that you would NEVER know unless you read the forum posts and participated on the LINE rooms.  Its been that way since the dawn of the game.  

There are are definitely a few things that are "hidden under the hood" so to speak.

1.  Who tanks what colors (during ties)
    2.  What defensive teams are visible to what level opponents.
    3.  How does the game determine my opponent que, and how do I refresh it or freeze it to the current state.
    4.  How does PVE point scoring working and how does refresh timing work?
    5.  How do the various token orders work.
    6.  how saving 1 token for all events tells you what chars will be essentials before the sneak peak thread.

the list goes on and on....

• jamesh
    jamesh Posts: 1,600 Chairperson of the Boards
    It also affects the order of start-of-turn passive abilities.  For example, if you are playing Valkyrie along side someone who does damage at the start of turn (e.g. America Chavez), you might want to put Valkyrie first so she puts out her countdown before the damage occurs.
  • AXP_isme
    AXP_isme Posts: 809 Critical Contributor
    edited June 2019
    jamesh said:
    It also affects the order of start-of-turn passive abilities.  For example, if you are playing Valkyrie along side someone who does damage at the start of turn (e.g. America Chavez), you might want to put Valkyrie first so she puts out her countdown before the damage occurs.
    I usually put them the other way around.

I line up the enemy specified on V’s CD on my previous turn. The AI has a turn then America fires and triggers V’s CD. V’s passive fires after America because she is further down the order so she creates a new CD on the same turn.

When that turn starts I then target whoever the new CD is pointing at, rinse and repeat. That seems a bit more predictable to me than hoping that Valkyrie’s CD is pointing to the front enemy before Chavez goes off. 
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    This has been always like this. It is set up as follows. 
    2:1:3
    This is also how passives/powers are triggered.  
    And then the bars showing their AP and powers are ordered 3:2:1. I really wish they would have just made those all consistent.
  • jamesh
    AXP_isme said:
    jamesh said:
    I usually put them the other way around.

I line up the enemy specified on V’s CD on my previous turn. The AI has a turn then America fires and triggers V’s CD. V’s passive fires after America because she is further down the order so she creates a new CD on the same turn.

When that turn starts I then target whoever the new CD is pointing at, rinse and repeat. That seems a bit more predictable to me than hoping that Valkyrie’s CD is pointing to the front enemy before Chavez goes off. 
    It's been a while since I played those two have been boosted together, so I guess my memory was rusty.  What you describe sounds closer to what I settled on.
  • Mrcl25
    Mrcl25 Posts: 138 Tile Toppler
    Phumade said:
    Its common knowledge that you would NEVER know unless you read the forum posts and participated on the LINE rooms.  Its been that way since the dawn of the game.  

There are are definitely a few things that are "hidden under the hood" so to speak.

1.  Who tanks what colors (during ties)
    2.  What defensive teams are visible to what level opponents.
    3.  How does the game determine my opponent que, and how do I refresh it or freeze it to the current state.
    4.  How does PVE point scoring working and how does refresh timing work?
    5.  How do the various token orders work.
    6.  how saving 1 token for all events tells you what chars will be essentials before the sneak peak thread.

the list goes on and on....

I would like to see a detailed explanation for those, specially 2 and 3.
  • Twomp_thaDJ
    Twomp_thaDJ Posts: 237 Tile Toppler
    CNash said:
    Mind Blown!!!! Wish I had know this before.. 
  • Twomp_thaDJ
    Twomp_thaDJ Posts: 237 Tile Toppler
    Not to hijack the thread but is this also why Thanos court death sometimes allows for cascades and other times activates immediately as soon as an opponent is downed???
  • Waddles_Pines
    Waddles_Pines Posts: 1,221 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited July 2019
    CNash said:
    Mind Blown!!!! Wish I had know this before.. 
    This is mostly true.  There are some older characters that have floating decimals for match damage.  For example both center and left show 100 match damage, but in certain instances the left would be 100.2, and the center 100.1.  For the most part this rarely occurs anymore due to the weekly boosts and dilution, but sometimes you'll see it in game when Carol's passive doesn't react to the color you thought it would.  

Edit, the above was also mentioned in @helix72 link above.  In the article it mentions characters of different levels in regards to decimals, but I'm pretty sure I've encountered it in the past with same leveled characters.
  • Yepyep
    Yepyep Posts: 952 Critical Contributor
    jamesh said:
    Classic -- I know all this until THIS post...

It's amazing how little nuggets like this keep nourishing somebody or other every time one of these threads gets going. That's why I always read through them and would never criticize someone for bringing up an "old subject" or whatever.
  • Momo988
    Momo988 Posts: 15 Just Dropped In
    Not to hijack the thread but is this also why Thanos court death sometimes allows for cascades and other times activates immediately as soon as an opponent is downed???
    If there’s a passive that triggers (I.e a support makes an attack tile or Daken makes a strike on a green match), then Court Death is triggered. Court Death basically waits until the next pause after matches happen. The one I still haven’t figured out is the wonky timing of America’s Ticket to the Multiverse going off. 
  • St_Bernadus
    St_Bernadus Posts: 631 Critical Contributor
    The positioning also determines who tanks if you use a critical tile to make a double match (assuming the two matches are tanked by 2 different characters).
  • jamesh
    Momo988 said:
    If there’s a passive that triggers (I.e a support makes an attack tile or Daken makes a strike on a green match), then Court Death is triggered. Court Death basically waits until the next pause after matches happen. The one I still haven’t figured out is the wonky timing of America’s Ticket to the Multiverse going off. 
    I think the triggers for that passive are just before either player makes a match.  So if you get the last colour of trap tiles via a match-5, it should trigger just before your extra match.  If you do it via a match-4, it will happen just before the enemy team makes their match.  The wonky behaviour is that this happens after the enemy team's start-of-turn passives fire.
  • AXP_isme
    AXP_isme Posts: 809 Critical Contributor
    jamesh said:

I think the triggers for that passive are just before either player makes a match.  So if you get the last colour of trap tiles via a match-5, it should trigger just before your extra match.  If you do it via a match-4, it will happen just before the enemy team makes their match.  The wonky behaviour is that this happens after the enemy team's start-of-turn passives fire.
    I always wonder about this one, the timing seems a little odd. What would happen if I made a match-4 that creates a trap on a third colour so that Chavez should fire. If there’s a Thor on the enemy tram whose passive clears out one colour of traps would ticket to the multiverse still fire?
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    jamesh said:
    Momo988 said:
    My impression is that it waits for one more "event" (other than a match) to happen, and then resolves. Because I've seen it go off a number of times after the first of several enemy Countdowns has resolved, but before the rest of them.
    AXP_isme said:
    jamesh said:

I always wonder about this one, the timing seems a little odd. What would happen if I made a match-4 that creates a trap on a third colour so that Chavez should fire. If there’s a Thor on the enemy tram whose passive clears out one colour of traps would ticket to the multiverse still fire?
    That does, in fact, stop it, if Thor's passive is the first thing to resolve at the start of the enemy team's turn. I've had Maggia Hitmen shut it down with their Covering Fire power as well.