Amass

Options
starfall
starfall Posts: 1,727 Chairperson of the Boards
Why does 'Amass 2' create a 3/3 stack of Zombie Army tokens if there are no Zomby Armie tokens in play already?

This doesn't make sense. The number '2' indicates that your Zombie Armie should get +2/+2, whether there's one already in play or not.

I think I know why it's been done; because in paper MTG, the Amass ability first creates a 0/0 token, and then adds +1/+1 counters to it. Oktagon Perhaps in MTGPQ the code doesn't exist to make a 0/0 token, so they make a 1/1 token instead, and then add reinforcements to it.

But this is unnecessary! In MTGPQ, there are no +1/+1 counters anyway, only reinforcements. Whether or not there are Zomby Army tokens in play already, the Amass ability could simply create X tokens.

Comments

• James13
    James13 Posts: 665 Critical Contributor
    Options
    If you read the token text, you'll see exactly why.  This is at least spelled out and working as written.  There's a +1/+1 modifier at low count, then another modifier at high count.
  • wereotter
    wereotter Posts: 2,064 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    It was in the story mode. Basically the first time you amass you just get one extra. Then after that it works as you’d expect. Not sure why... but getting 1 extra 1/1 once doesn’t make a huge difference to me. 
  • Firinmahlazer
    Firinmahlazer Posts: 417 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    On paper you create a 1/1 token then amass your counters. This is basically working the same way? 
  • Firinmahlazer
    Firinmahlazer Posts: 417 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    starfall said:
    On paper you create a 1/1 token then amass your counters. This is basically working the same way? 
    On paper you create a 0/0 token and then amass your counters.

Oops. My mistake  :#