VIP is now Level 1

bluewolf
bluewolf Posts: 5,247 Chairperson of the Boards
edited June 2019 in MPQ General Discussion
Last month, my Apple receipt said "Marvel Puzzle Quest, VIP Access".

This month, my Apple receipt says "VIP Level 1".

Things like this don't get changed without a reason.....my guess is some new tiers are coming to the VIP program.  Probably soon, if its live in the Apple store.

(You may not be aware that Magic the Gathering PQ already offers 3 tiers of VIP, at $4.99/$14.99/$29.99, and launched it about a month or so ago.  So there is already precedent for D3Go running tiered VIP.)

Speculate away!

Comments

• Thanos
    Thanos Posts: 722 Critical Contributor
    I'm not paying for higher tiers of VIP, what I would pay for is new game modes.
  • Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,477 Chairperson of the Boards
    Thanos said:
    I'm not paying for higher tiers of VIP, what I would pay for is new game modes.
    I'd pay $5 right now for saved teams/predefined loadouts
  • jackstar0
    jackstar0 Posts: 1,280 Chairperson of the Boards
    In the VIP Level 1 thread there's a couple folks saying what they'd pay $5 to the game for right now.

What would be worth paying $5 to you?

Please save your "I don't pay anything for this F2P game." posts. We get it.

For me: If 5*s were broken into multiple Classic (Golden/Silver/Bronze Ages, or something akin), I'd see that as worth giving the game $5 just so people might get a reasonable shot at older 5*s that are now basically required.
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    Ok, I saw another thread similar and moved it to mtgpq general, my sincerest apologies, I will merge the old one with this one.
  • KGB
    KGB Posts: 2,904 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2019
    jackstar0 said:
    In the VIP Level 1 thread there's a couple folks saying what they'd pay $5 to the game for right now.

What would be worth paying $5 to you?

Differing VIP levels should cater to different types of players (casual vs hard core vs whale).

Level 1 (extra resources for new/casual players):
    Should be essentially what VIP provides now. A daily log in reward and shield intercepts. It should also give one new costume a month (It's why I signed up for VIP in the first place back in Dec. and I am annoyed they have stopped after 2 costumes).

Level 2 (time savers/discounts and bonuses/extra access for hard core players)
    In addition to everything in Level 1 it should include the following type things:
    A ) Time savers - More ways to sort/view your roster. 5 favorite teams you can fast select at the battle select screen. Battle select screen shows which character tanks which color with an added checkmark beside each to indicate active power in that color (you can see rainbow teams). One click/touch to fast repeat battles in PvE (vs the endless menu clicking. This includes no more dialog).
    B ) Discounts and Bonuses - 1/2 price skips (for PvP). All Standard tokens 'won' in PvP battles are now Elite tokens. All Standard tokens in Daily Resupply are now Elite.
    C ) Extra Access - All vaults / HfH and other limited offers remain active for an extra 24 (48) hrs so there is 1+ more day of daily discounts in the vault. Non-progression based PvE events (eg Shield Training) remain active for an extra 24 (or 48) hrs.

Level 3 (goodies geared toward whales)
    In addition to everything in Level 2 it should include the following things:
    A ) Half price vault resets
    B ) Double bonus hero chance
    C ) Better 4* draw rates in 40 packs
    D ) 25 (or maybe 30) Team Ups (do whales even care about this)

There are probably other things Whales would want/use but this is a start.

KGB
  • Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,518 Chairperson of the Boards
    Maybe 1 roster slot? Those get pretty pricey later in the game. That'd be a good reward for the higher tier. 
  • jp1
    jp1 Posts: 1,068 Chairperson of the Boards
    I’d jump to a higher VIP tier for double or triple ISO alone, the rest of the rewards could remain the same.

$5 right now? I’d definitely pay that for saved cover display and custom roster sorting.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    It took them long enough to implement this if they are really going to ahead with it. Hopefully, it's a cumulative thing.  B)
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,247 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2019
    Since the current VIP is labeled as "Level 1", I'm going to assume that the cheapest package will continue to be 9.99.  One hopes they will perhaps juice it up a bit if they are adding new options, as the current package has been the same since launching 3 years ago, except for adding costumes.

Things they probably won't do:

1.  Bonus rate increases.  Not only is this possibly vulnerable to cheating/manipulation, big rosters could easily decide to hoard tokens for a month or two or three etc, jump up to the higher tier for a month, break hoard, and drop down again.  I think I certainly would.  Caveat: Maybe they would make you get better rates only for 40 packs or something, where you couldn't hoard anything.

2.  The time saver idea sounds great but imagine how people who don't want to pay a monthly charge would feel.  You would literally be creating a pay to win model with the ability to speed select teams, while those who don't want to pay would be spending precious time clicking through their rosters.  Making the long requested "replay" option gated behind a VIP paywall would similarly be unwelcome.  Please devs - if these types of changes are coming, open them to all players.

That said, there are definitely some things mentioned that they could do to make whales/spenders happy like longer vault access, cheaper resets, making 40 packs pay more 4's.  Changes that the non-spenders won't be nearly as upset about.

Keep in mind that there are people who spend on the game who ignore VIP and vice versa, so the devs face a bit of a dilemma on how essential they make VIP feel

Lastly, it's just a guess, but given the relative lack of new features this year, and the fact that FFH is the last MCU film this year (they often push MPQ traffic/visits up), I'm going to guess we find out details pretty soon for a launch this month or early next month.

EDIT:  After sleeping on this, I decided that despite being a current VIP member, I would take a VERY hard look at whether I'm comfortable moving up to a higher tier even if rewards were better etc.  The game, other than adding some new PVEs (finally) and putting up (then taking away) Support Circuit, has done nothing new gameplay wise since Supports were added over a year ago.  And dilution being pushed in a year ago.  Costumes are fine but don't count for much in my book.  So if the devs are going to come to us with this same product and say "wouldn't you like to spend more money on this?" I am going to be extremely hesitant to bite.

• Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    jp1 said:
    I’d jump to a higher VIP tier for double or triple ISO alone, the rest of the rewards could remain the same.

$5 right now? I’d definitely pay that for saved cover display and custom roster sorting.
     A year ago I'd have agreed with you on the ISO.
    But I'm sat on 1.5 million with literally nothing to spend it on.
  • GrimSkald
    GrimSkald Posts: 2,489 Chairperson of the Boards
    jp1 said:

I'm up over seven.  I've heard of people over ten million.  Post Iso is a thing, definitely.

On the flip side, having a tier cater to extra Iso, and a tier cater to not would address that, eh?
  • Kahmon
    Kahmon Posts: 625 Critical Contributor
    bluewolf said:

Things they probably won't do:

1.  Bonus rate increases.  Not only is this possibly vulnerable to cheating/manipulation, big rosters could easily decide to hoard tokens for a month or two or three etc, jump up to the higher tier for a month, break hoard, and drop down again.  I think I certainly would.  Caveat: Maybe they would make you get better rates only for 40 packs or something, where you couldn't hoard anything.
    Perhaos higher rate of Shield intercepts instead. These coukd always be tied to current vip level.
  • AXP_isme
    AXP_isme Posts: 809 Critical Contributor
    Who will give me odds on CL10 being gated behind a VIP level? 🤗
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,580 Chairperson of the Boards
    Here is a link to the MTGPQ thread

Now whilst most of that is clearly written in Martian to MPQ players it does give an idea of how they structured it.

Points of interest:

1.) The basic membership is a week long plan whilst the other 2 are both monthly. If they went this route then I suspect the current MPQ VIP plan would actually get downgraded, presumably with a similar price drop. Not sure that would work after all these years but then who knew $75 costumes were going to be a thing?

2.) You can "upgrade" even further tier by tier by renewing the higher plans which gets you additional content. So there is incentive to keep renewing month on month (or even spending more to upgrade) as it raises you up a tier to a top tier level. At present with VIP we have the 1CP Alliance reward for renewal before exipry, I would guess that at higher plans this would ramp up in the same way it does for buying higher priced HP/Iso amounts. This also looks like a system for gating content to me.

3.) You are penalised for downgrading to the lowest tier. I guess this makes sense and the tiers drop a level per month, which isn't actually all that punishing as you retain the better prizes for 30 days.

Obviously all that might not be applicable at all but it does seem a workable basis to apply to MPQ too.

• Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Funny how the community has to try to find clues IN OTHER GAMES since MPQ isn't capable to communicate stuff like that IN ADVANCE.
    Or at least once stuff is visible in game.

Like pretty much every other F2P in existence.
  • DAZ0273
    I decided to read that thread. It is slightly frightening how similar some of the complaints on it are to the ones we get here, just they seem further along the conveyor belt to armageddon...

• AXP_isme
    AXP_isme Posts: 809 Critical Contributor
    I read some of that thread too. There’s certainly a common theme in the complaints across the forums. Even with different developers there’s going to be a certain amount of similarities in a micro-transaction type game. 

I did laugh when one of the commenters wonders whether they’ve wandered into the MPQ boards by mistake. 
  • DAZ0273
    AXP_isme said:
    I read some of that thread too. There’s certainly a common theme in the complaints across the forums. Even with different developers there’s going to be a certain amount of similarities in a micro-transaction type game. 

I did laugh when one of the commenters wonders whether they’ve wandered into the MPQ boards by mistake. 
    I actually liked that post, lol!
  • firethorne
    firethorne Posts: 1,505 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think the only thing that would get me to pay money to this game again is if it had a character selector.  You pick the character of your choice, guaranteed, no RNG.  $5 for a 4* (complete 13 covers).  Maybe $1 per cover for a $5, so $13 to champ.
  • jp1
    jp1 Posts: 1,068 Chairperson of the Boards
    jp1 said:

I wouldn’t mind that problem quite as much. Although, I can imagine it’s frustrating as well.

Still, sounds nice to be ISO rich...especially while sitting on an 8 million deficit that feels insurmountable. In a year or so after finishing all my trash tier 4s I should be headed that way.