What is the CP value of a 5* bonus hero cover?

Vhailorx
Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
edited June 2019 in MPQ General Discussion
Obviously every cover will be available eventually for 250 CP.

But BH covers come with other covers and the attendant champ rewards.  Plus they don't require you to wait out the rotation schedule.

And of course the straight cost of opening tiers until you got a 5* BH would be very high, something like 3.33k cp.

Has anyone considered this question in a rigourous way?

Comments

• sambrookjm
    sambrookjm Posts: 2,157 Chairperson of the Boards
    The answer, as always is "It depends."

My most recent 4-star bonus heroes have been Magik, Prowler, Domino, and now Namor.  Why them?  Because the first three were stuck at 12 covers.  Getting bonus covers for each of them to get #13 was worth putting them as the bonus hero.  (Magik's progression cover was purple, and mine already had 5 in that one.)  I pulled Prowler from a Heroic, and Domino's cover 13 from the Strange/JJ/Kitty store.  Once Domino got #13, I switched the bonus hero to Namor, as he was my next highest covered 4-star.  Several tokens later, I got a bonus hero for him to get him at 3/4/5.  Looking at it one way, those bonus heroes saved me 480 CP, which is what I would have needed to spend to get those covers from CP.  In reality, there's no way I would have spent the 480 CP on those covers, but bonus heroes are the only certain way of getting covers for those particular characters.

Five star bonus heroes, looking at it from the same point of view, could be worth 720 CP.  My 5-star bonus hero is Kitty, who is now sitting at 1/2/2.  Again, spending 720 CP for a particular 5-star cover is crazy, but the odds of getting a 5-star bonus hero are about 1-in-140, which is 2800 CP for the Classic tokens.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Let's start with available info that everyone can access:

1) The odds of drawing latest 5 stars is 1/7.

2) For a specific 5*, it's 1 / 21 or 525 CP in LT.

3) 5* BH rate is 1 / 20 five-stars pulled. It would then work out to 140 LTs for a 5* BH, or 3500CP.  :o

if getting 5* BH is 1 out of 20 LTs pulled, I doubt we'll see any players being unhappy with getting 1 or 2 5* BH a year despite pulling many LTs.

For BH 5* in Classic, it would be 2800CP. 

• jamesh
    jamesh Posts: 1,600 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2019

Your chance of pulling a 5* bonus hero is 0.75% (15% multiplied by 5%), so you'd expect to get one every 133.333.. legendary tokens.  If you were pulling latest legends tokens, this corresponds to 3333 CP.  In addition to the one 5* bonus hero, we'd expect to also receive:

• 20 extra 5* covers
    • 113.333... 4* covers plus 5.666... bonus covers, or 119 total.

If we assume those 4* covers will go towards champion levels, which can reward CP directly or legendary tokens (which we'll value at 25 CP).  If we assume the character doesn't reward 5* covers (as most don't), there's 10 legendary tokens and 250 CP in the reward table.

So each of those 4* covers is worth approximately 5 CP each.  This is very imprecise, due to the backloading of rewards: if you've got a young roster, those covers will be worth somewhat less, and for a more developed roster they'll be worth more.  So the 4* covers could average a return of 595 CP.

Doing the same calculations for 5* covers gives a value of 12.5 CP.  Here, the legendary token and CP rewards are evenly spaced, so it is a good estimate.  That means our 20 extra 5* covers should return 250 CP.  However that only makes sense if you assume that all 5* covers you get are for characters you've got champed: we should reduce this value depending on how many 5* characters in the latest tokens are actually champed.

So the expected net outlay for one 5* bonus hero would be 2488.333... CP if pulling from latest tokens.