Mox Amber doesn't give mana for reinforced supports [Investigating]

Options
ShaarkBiite
ShaarkBiite Posts: 39 Just Dropped In
There's something up with Mox Amber. "Gain X mana where X is the number of historic cards and reinforcements you control."

It's hard to tell since the man's gets broken up by cards in your hand, but at the very least it doesn't give mana for reinforced supports (even when the supports are historic). It seems to give mana for reinforced creatures, regardless of their historic nature.
I had 7x Mox Amber (legendary); 4x Sigiled Sword of Valeron (artifact); 4x Millstone (legendary); and 8x Selsyna land gate. It should have given +7 (mox) +4 (ssv) +4 (Millstone) +7 (gate reinforcements) = 22
But it gave me +3 mana instead. 

When the card first dropped there was debate as to the intended wording of this card: "historic (cards and reinforcements)" vs "(historic cards) and reinforcements". It would be understandable if its functionality was changed to be the "historic (cards and reinforcements)" version, but that's clearly not the case. If so, the above scenario should have gotten +15, not +3.

//Edited Title - Tombstone

Comments

• Zzyzzx
    Zzyzzx Posts: 248 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I can confirm this behavior as well.
    I have a Tezz I build (yeah really, he's awesome) that uses Clues, Servos, and Treasures (all artifacts) to abuse the mana given by the Mox Amber.
    This morning I switched a few things around (trying to master some new VIP rewarded cards) and I noticed that it was giving me 6 mana for an activated gem.
    5 of which were the number of artifacts (historic supports) I had on the board.
    The 6th was for a stack of thopters (x3 stack == 4 thopters).
  • Tombstone
    Tombstone ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 1,208 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Thank you for the reports. I'll pass this information on to the team for investigation. 
  • Zzyzzx
    Zzyzzx Posts: 248 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Took a break from running Mox Amber for a while...since my last post here actually.

I recently picked up Tezzeret, Master of the Bridge and threw in the Mox, hoping to once again abuse the plethora of Artifacts.
    The Mox is still only giving mana for the number of Historic cards and definitely NOT all the reinforcements.
    At some point I had noticed a rather large mana gain from the Mox, but I went in and counted about 11 different Artifacts in play:

4x treasures (at least 1 of each)
    Bolas's Citadel (reinforced x1)
    Traxos, Scourge of Kroog (reinforced x1)
    Walking Archive
    Chamber Sentry (reinforced x1)
    Millstone (reinforced x3)
    Mox Amber (reinforced x1)
    Hierophant's Chalice
    Lost Vale (reinforced x2) - Possibly irrelevant because at this point it's a non-historic land.

On a brighter note, Tezz IV's 3rd ability is fantastic!
  • TheDude1
    TheDude1 Posts: 194 Tile Toppler
    Options
    It's strange, as I run Mox Amber on a token deck and get all the expected mana.  Perhaps something changed that made it look at only creature reinforcements?
  • stikxs
    stikxs Posts: 518 Critical Contributor
    Options
    It's been over a year, time for the card to break again. Mox Amber doesn't seem to count any reinforcements again. Had a match with a true-faith censer and mox amber on the board, as well as a stack of tokens ffrom march of the multitudes. The censer had 3 reinforcements while the soldiers had 23 reinforcements. I had an empty march of the multitudes in my hand whose cost was 2 from convoke, made a red match (for 4 mana on teferi1) and triggered a mox amber activation gem that only gave me 2 additional mana. Appears it counted the censer and amber on the board but ignored the censer reinforcements and ignored the soldier stack reinforcements.
  • jtwood
    jtwood Posts: 1,285 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    stikxs said:
    It's been over a year, time for the card to break again. Mox Amber doesn't seem to count any reinforcements again. Had a match with a true-faith censer and mox amber on the board, as well as a stack of tokens ffrom march of the multitudes. The censer had 3 reinforcements while the soldiers had 23 reinforcements. I had an empty march of the multitudes in my hand whose cost was 2 from convoke, made a red match (for 4 mana on teferi1) and triggered a mox amber activation gem that only gave me 2 additional mana. Appears it counted the censer and amber on the board but ignored the censer reinforcements and ignored the soldier stack reinforcements.
    Most tokens don’t count as Historic. Basically, you have to run Thopters to exploit Mox’s ramp with creature tokens. 

• ShaarkBiite
    ShaarkBiite Posts: 39 Just Dropped In
    Options
    @jtwood true faith censer is an artifact, so, reinforcements should count, regardless of if the reinforcements have to be historic or not, which I still wonder, since that's not how this card originally worked.

Looks like they fixed it recognizing Vanguards, but that's it... ongoing investigation. 
  • jtwood
    jtwood Posts: 1,285 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    @jtwood true faith censer is an artifact, so, reinforcements should count, regardless of if the reinforcements have to be historic or not, which I still wonder, since that's not how this card originally worked.

Looks like they fixed it recognizing Vanguards, but that's it... ongoing investigation. 
    It definitely has always cared about Historic, and Thopter tokens have always been the way to exploit that. Non-artifact tokens have never counted. 

Regarding the support counting issues, try to get a video and post it. I am running Mox in one node of RotGP. I kept an eye on its triggers. Everything seemed fine but it seems to send mana in two bursts. Maybe that’s the source of your confusion. 

• stikxs
    stikxs Posts: 518 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I've seen the mana come in the 2 streams before, however the card the mana went to only accumulated 6 mana; 4 from the red swap, and 2 from historic supports. Even if it only counted historic reinforcements there should be another 2 for the reinforcements on the censer. And I distinctly remember (way back) that it wasn't just [historic cards] + [historic reinforcements], but [historic cards] + [any reinforcement]. That may have been a bug from the DOM days, but even if that was fixed it currently doesn't work correctly.