To crack or NOT to crack!!

SlappyDingle
SlappyDingle Posts: 60 Match Maker
My hoard that is! I've got a modest 2000k CP and 75 LTs and wonder if people think any of GED, Cpt Mehvel or Hela are worth having?

All input is welcome!

Comments

• AndiTi
    AndiTi Posts: 127 Tile Toppler
    I really enjoy Hela, I think she's very worth it. GED I don't have champed but he can be really annoying to play against, so I think he's probably worthwhile too. C5rol is mediocre in the tier--I don't think she's as horrible as some would say, but she's not worth chasing either.

Just my thoughts. :)
  • BoyWonder1914
    BoyWonder1914 Posts: 884 Critical Contributor
    I really don't know what the devs were going for with Marvel. I don't like her power set, but I could at least warm up to it if her CDs/repeaters were fortified, and they did more damage. It's not the craziest concept to have to wait turns for powers to deal damage, but the damage should be worth the wait. I don't feel it is, on her green or her red. And again, these tiles aren't fortified, so odds are somewhat high that you're going to use the AP and get no payoff. But even if you do, her powers aren't really putting any kind of serious hurt on other 5-star characters. 

I've fought Doom on defense in PVE, and he's quite the beast. His black smacks you pretty hard for 9 AP, and the passive component of it generally forces you to put him down last. Re-shuffling the board is an undervalued ability for sure, and he's probably got one of the nicest team heals in the game. Whether it's worth 10 AP is up to you though. That blue isn't very fun to fight either, because he's stealing that AP to build his own powers, AND he's healing himself for something that YOU do. He might not be a go-to character on offense, but you're really gonna scare a lot of people off from fighting you, or get some nice defensive wins on folks who underestimate him. 

I can't speak on Hela too much as I don't really see her in PVP and mine isn't ready, but she seems like a fun support character. Her powers allow her to stand on her own, but she's also one of those characters where you need to fire all of her active powers in order to get the most out of her. With colors as popular as red & green, it'll depend on who else you have to decide if that's worth it. 
  • JHawkInc
    JHawkInc Posts: 2,604 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think Marvel was supposed to be similar enough to Thor (special tiles, generates her own green, etc) to substitute for him (you can run Okoye/Marvel if you weren't around when Thor was in Latest to collect him), but also to step on his toes enough that they weren't super awesome together (so you didn't just start seeing Okoye/Thor/Marvel teams in Sim). Ultimately I'd agree that she needs some fortified stuff, because she's too slow (and thus too weak) to really be super useful. She's fun, but not fun enough.

Doom is fun. Board shuffle and heal, a passive punishment for matching AP, and a nasty nuke. Simple and effective. And if you keep him out front he can save you from special tiles if a match goes bad. I think he's a good "third 5" or maybe "fourth or fifth 5." He's not one you'd go to to be effective in PVE/PVP, but if you've got a good pair, he'd work with them well. I will say I do find him fun with Thor/Okoye and their supports (notable the Royal Talon Fighter and Victorious), because both Okoye and Doom can do tanking work (taking turns, or subbing in if one is stunned), and both can use yellow to heal and trigger team attacks (boosted by Okoye's passive), which gives you some versatility. Not exceptionally better than just Thor/Okoye normally, but being able to let Doom tank a bad board for Okoye, and then heal and get the AoE the same way Okoye would, that's fun.

I really like Hela, she's solid for PVE, and fun on wave nodes. Strikes that can overlap enemy specials, a mess of attacks, and a buff when she downs someone. Great acceleration potential (which is what makes waves so good for her). Then her green is a good way to hit multiple people without being a standard team attack, and her punishment against green is just a nice little "anti-Thor" thing. Can't say how effective she is in PVP, but she's my favorite for PVE since Kitty came out (and my Kitty is still horribly undercovered, so Hela is my favorite 5 in general since Okoye last year).

The other thing to keep in mind is that they've been doing a lot of special stores this year. Continuing to hoard means you might be able to crack on one of those offers, if you're not super sure on Doom/Carol/Hela (or Carol/Hela/Rescue when Doom rotates out).
  • jp1
    jp1 Posts: 1,081 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited May 2019
    If you are thinking of going for it I would do it before Doom leaves. He is underrated on the boards and I find him to be pretty good. 

In fact Carol has more going for her than the boards might make it seem. She is just painfully slow. 

You could do far worse than the current 3. I have a Cable and Loki that hardly ever leave the bench and a Wasp that’s fixing to get her last cover via feeder who I probably won’t bother to champ at all.
  • jamesh
    jamesh Posts: 1,600 Chairperson of the Boards
    The main problem with citing high match damage as the reason for Captain Marvel's powers being a bit underwhelming is that that advantage is likely to disappear as more characters are released with ever increasing match damage.  At that point, you're just left with a set of mediocre powers.
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,939 Chairperson of the Boards
    My hoard that is! I've got a modest 2000k CP and 75 LTs and wonder if people think any of GED, Cpt Mehvel or Hela are worth having?

All input is welcome!
    The thing no one is telling you is that you have about 150 pulls in Latests. I don’t feel that’s near enough to finish Doom as he’s set to leave in less than two weeks. MAYBE you end up with a half covered Doom and then a half covered Carol, Hela and Rescue (you’ll get her covers trying to cover Carol and Hela before they leave). I know it may not be fun or popular but I’d consider hoarding through at least Carol and maybe Hela/Rescue depending on the next 5. 
  • Mattjimf
    Mattjimf Posts: 139 Tile Toppler
    I'd hold off cracking, rumors of a tasty 5* store coming up.
  • ammenell
    ammenell Posts: 817 Critical Contributor
    360LTs and 1100CP.
    I'm waiting for the next okoye, thor, etc. 
    won't crack that hoard for mid tier chars and even then they will be softcapped.